Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

What car rental agencies do people recommend for Costa Rica??

Mar 25th, 2004, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Hello,
We are considering renting a car for our trip to Costa Rica in Aug. What car rental companies have people used & what was the cost? I called Avis & they quoted me a price of $585 (incl tax) for a Nissan & a price of $489 (incl tax ) for a Sportage for 10 days. 8 days decreases the price to $391 (incl tax). Also, CDW is mandatory at $15.00 per day.

This seems high. I was hoping to pay between $300 - 400. I appreciate any advise people can give.

Thanks.

Mar 25th, 2004, 09:52 AM
Iza

We have used Dollar on two occassions. Good service and best prices I could find. If you are using a platinum credit card, you can decline some of the insurance which should bring the cost down. Check with your cc company though first as to what coverage they provide.
Mar 25th, 2004, 02:57 PM

Definitely check with Dollar. We have been happy with them several times. Last week, however, upon the advice of a tour agent at the Hotel Don Carlos in San Jose, we rented with Tricolor. We got a small 4 X 4 (Suzuki Ignius) for $290 total for 7 days. I don't think you can beat this anywhere. Don't know what it would be for 10 days, but I'd check them out if I were you!
Mar 25th, 2004, 02:58 PM

By the way, this price includes all tax and insurance (that is important to know)! It also included paying for a second driver. The base price with insurance and tax was $270. We paid $3 per day extra for a second driver.
Mar 25th, 2004, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Message to Shillmac,
Do you know if we can reserve with Tricolor in the U.S. before we leave? Or do we have to wait until we arrive in San Jose?

Does anyone know anything about Mapache Car Rental and Daihatsu Terios? CentralAmerica.com gave me a quote of $396 for 10 days incl insurance. Our charge card co covers the insurance. That will help a lot!

Thanks everyone!
Mar 25th, 2004, 05:38 PM

Of course you can reserve ahead of time! Here is what you do. Go to the Hotel Don Carlos website. I think it is doncarloshotel.com

Contact the tour director at the hotel. His name is Juan Carlos. He will take care of all the details for you. He is very good and dependable. I just did this (as I said) and it was very easy and we were not disappointed and it was the cheapest we have found!
Mar 25th, 2004, 05:42 PM

I just checked the Hotel Don Carlos website. At the top, just click on car rental. Tricolor's ad will come up and it gives you all the details. Hotel customers (3 nights or longer) get a 10% discount. It lists all the vehicles available. This is an excellent way to take care of your reservation. They promise to beat all other rental agencies!
Mar 26th, 2004, 04:05 AM

Hi there, i would never rent from Dollar again in Costa Rica - tey were supposed to deliver the car to us at our hotel. They were 1 hour late and that was after 2 phone calls. Car was filthy, old and tires needed air. They also were supposed to pick car back up when we returned and then tried to charge us an additional $25. Thank goodness we had it in writing. I would beware of them.
Mar 26th, 2004, 04:38 AM

In their defense (and I can't imagine why their service to you was so poor) we have rented from them 6 times and NEVER had anything but a good experience. They have dropped off and delivered for us (no charge), always provided efficient service and a good (usually brand new) vehicle. I really think that probably with each and every rental service someone would have a less than positive experience occasionally.
Mar 26th, 2004, 07:29 AM
Iza

I agree with shillmac re Dollar. We used them in 2001 and again last year. They picked us up and delivered back to our hotel at no extra charge. They also pick up at the domestic airport where Natureair flies. Last year we had a brand new Nissan XTerra from them. I would definitely use them again.
Mar 26th, 2004, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

I will look into Dollar & Tricolor. Do they have offices at the airport? We are arriving at 12;40pm & plan on driving to MA that same day, so want to get as quick a start as possible. Thanks everyone for all your help.
Mar 26th, 2004, 11:08 AM

Dollar's web site is www.dollarcostarica.com. We are getting a Dihatsu Terios from them for 17 days in July for about $750 including all fees and insurance (our credit card covers the extra CDW). Be careful renting right at the airport. You'll have to pay an extra tax there which is like 10% or something. TriColor also gave us a good quote, but I had read some negative reviews of them on-line, so I decided to give Dollar a try. Here is TriColor's web site: http://www.tricolorcarrental.com/

Good luck!
Mar 26th, 2004, 02:00 PM

Both have offices within 5 minutes of the airport. They meet your flight and take you there to do the paperwork.