Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

What area in Mexico is safe for kids with calm beautiful beaches?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2014, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for advice on what area of Mexico would be best in February for calm waters and nice quiet beaches. I am not into the Vegas by the sea feel so I don't want crowded areas. Prefer a beach villa or condo. Could consider Costa Rica as well. We usually go to Kauai but it can be so rainy.....we love the small friendly island and prefer north shore....just to give you an idea do what we usually go for. Any opinions are appreciated.
Old Apr 23rd, 2014, 06:49 AM

Akumal Sur. Check out Seven Seas. http://www.travelmex.com/akumal/7seas.html
(also have vrbo choices for less $)
Old Apr 23rd, 2014, 07:00 AM

You can also check out Isla Mujeres. Playa Norte is perfect for children (and adults!) -- extremely calm and beautiful. For some condo options check out Ixchel and Nautibeach.
Old Apr 23rd, 2014, 08:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Playa del Carmen, Akumal, Tulum. Just about anywhere along the Riviera Maya.
Old Apr 23rd, 2014, 09:56 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Tulum, Akumal, Isla Mujeres
Old Apr 23rd, 2014, 11:02 AM

Akumal or Isla Mujeres. Tulum is good as well but the waves can sometimes be a little rougher since the reef is further out. Can be good for boogie boarding or body surfing though.
Old Apr 23rd, 2014, 11:09 AM

A coworker just got back from Tulum, traveling with two kids and the entire family loved it (is why I thought of it).
Old Apr 23rd, 2014, 12:49 PM

You might also really enjoy Huatulco, on the Pacific side, a couple hundred miles south of Acapulco. There are 9 bays, with sheltered water in most of them, and a couple cute towns to explore, so you get a taste of old Mexico. The area was originally conceived by Fonatur, Mexico tourism board, so there is a green infrastructure, with filtered water throughtout. Some friends just got back from their third trip there, with their kids, and they had pods of hundreds of dolphins swimming around them when they went on a boat excursion. It is in the state of Oaxaca. Nice snorkeling here, too, surprising for the Pacific, and lots of great food.
Old Apr 23rd, 2014, 02:22 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I agree about North Beach at Isla. The only thing to keep in mind is how much you're concerned about your kids and topless sunbathers. Huatulco is nice, too.
Old Apr 23rd, 2014, 08:11 PM
Original Poster

I really appreciate the all of the advice. Does anyone have an opinion on the weather in January versus February? We can do either.....are our odds better for good weather at end of February or is it pretty much the same for both months?
Old Apr 23rd, 2014, 08:54 PM
Original Poster

One more question......should we consider spending a week on isla mujeres and maybe moving elsewhere for the second week.....maybe Cozumel?? Just wondering if we will get tired of the tiny little island of isla mujeres after a week?
Old Apr 24th, 2014, 05:23 AM

I would split my time between Isla and Akumal or Tulum and Akumal. Puerto Morelos is another quiet little town with some nice beach. There is much more to do on the mainland like cenotes, theme parks, snorkeling lagoons, Mayan Ruins,etc. All of these places are very family friendly and the water is safe, especially in Akumal. As for which month, we usually go in late January or early February, and the daytime temps are typically in the low to mid 80's, evenings in the high 60's. I would think that late February would be a little warmer. have you been to locogringo.com?
Old Apr 24th, 2014, 07:36 AM
RAC

I would split between Tulum and Akumal. Isla Mujeres would get boring after a few nights I would think--just not that much going on there.
Old Apr 24th, 2014, 09:15 AM

I think that's a totally personal call. I don't like to move around and could happily spend two weeks on any beach anywhere. But lots of people like more variety.
Old Apr 24th, 2014, 10:36 AM

Have not been during those months, but during February there is often Carnival and things get very crowded and noisy. Also some chances of Nortes so bring a jacket.
Have not been to Coz but the snorkeling there is what they call "drift" - get in at one hotel or beach club and drift with the currents down to another, get out and walk back.
Agree with zootsi, go to locogringo.com and take a look at the tab for Accommodations and you can see condos villas and small hotels listed in different towns. I've used them multiple times and they are very reliable and live in the area.
Old Apr 24th, 2014, 03:21 PM

In regards to weather, you are better off in Feb than Jan. You might find a villa or condo on the beach in Akumal alongside nice calm waves and nice beach, about 20 minutes south of PDC.
World class beaches in Tulum but no villas or condos there, at least not on the beach, about 40 minutes from PDC.
You can rent a condo or villa in Puerto Morelos right on the very wide beach if you dont mind sea weed (nice and quiet for sure) and right in between Cancun and Playa del Carmen ( 1/2 hour either way).
Last but not least is Mahajual (about 4 hours south of PDC)This is the Grand daddy of all beautiful beaches in the Peninsula, if you want to get away from it all, safe,cheap and clean and the village has all the basics. Only problem is the distance from the airport and the cruise ships that stop in now and then with hoards of frantic tourists in a hurry...
There are other good suggestions above, I guess it's a matter of taste.
Old Apr 24th, 2014, 08:24 PM
Original Poster

Perhaps I should have asked this question with my first post. We are pretty healthy eaters and for the part gluten free. We can have minimal gluten but prefer to avoid it. This is part of the reason we were seeking a villa or condo so we can do some of our own cooking. Does anyone know if there is a certain area that might be more accommodating for this need? We will of course bring some of our own food but will have to buy groceries for the two week stay.
Old Apr 24th, 2014, 08:51 PM
Original Poster

Mahahual has some great villa rentals at very good rates but doesn't look it has the beautiful beaches I am searching for. Am I missing something?
Old Apr 25th, 2014, 04:27 AM

Mahahual has great beaches but like all other areas, you need to know their location. It also has a small closed gate community with appr. 12 homes. The city core is similar to PDC 5th ave. but wayyyy smaller. The city is about 30 miles north of Belize so it enjoys the tranquility of the virgin green spaces and waterfront areas. If you seek a gluten free type of kitchen, Mahahual is not for you. Your best bet for this type of kitchen would be PDC for it's restaurants and big box stores such as Wal-Mart, Mega, Liverpool, City Club, Sears and more. Of course in Cancun you can also find Costco, Home Depot etc. It is important to note that many of these stores offer a good variety of foods, wines and more from around the world. For example, we were able to find authentic Old fashioned style maple syrup from Quebec Canada at the Mega store in PDC. By the way I chose not to recommend PDC because you mentioned that you wished to be away from the crowds and such. I lived in Playa for close to a year and keep going back. It would have been my first choice but you have to compromise... Beautiful beaches and warm crystal blue waters plus gluten free restaurants and groceries for the noise and crowds from an ever growing and ever popular destination. IMO if your time away is for 2 weeks only you can pick and choose. By the way, no need for a car in PDC as everything is within walking distance. This said, you will be hard pressed to find a condo or villa in PDC for 2 weeks. this type of rental is more towards long term stays or several months at a time. I would definitely try Playacar right next door to PDC, a little bit like Beverly Hills in Mexico. You might find something available there but be prepared for the cost.
Old Apr 25th, 2014, 04:45 AM

There are some really lovely home rentals on VRBO.com in Soliman Bay, south of Tulum. They are right on the beach and include kayaks and great snorkeling off the beach. Also, check out Huatulco! In January or February, you are almost guaranteed sunshine and cooler morning but days in the 80s every day. We stayed in a villa with a personal chef who shopped for us and cooked whatever we wanted, and we only paid for the food and drink and tips. Then we walked or took cheap taxis to the many beautiful beaches. If I were to return to the Riviera Maya area, I would stay in Soliman Bay for less crowds, nice beaches and easy access to the natural beauty and snorkeling.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -