Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

What are "MustDo" activities in PDC for a family with 2 boys (10&12)?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 03:57 PM
Peggy

We will be at the Iberostar Parisio the week after Easter. what are some really cool things to do that will give them a great vacation? We are thinking of Tulum, Xel_Ha, Xcaret. Any little known but cool things for the boys? Thanks so much!!

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 04:28 PM
Debbie

Check out my trip report on IB Paraiso at www.mts.net/~eissner/<BR>Unless you're boys are really into ruins, then Tulum might be too hot and boring for them. However, Xel-ha would be great. Take the little 'car-train' to the end of the river and get them into life vests and such and get one of those big tubes and the whole lot of you can tube and snorkel your way down the river to the main restaurant area. There is also swim with dolphins here.<BR>Xcaret - the underground river swim would probably be really neat for them (and it's free!).

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 10:30 AM
MikeS

I have a trip to Cozumel comming up and<BR>was looking for something to do on the <BR>mainland for a change and I found this.<BR>Go to hiddenworlds.com. I think it looks like the type of thing you would never forget!

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 03:42 PM
Nancy

Hello!<BR><BR>Defitely agree with Debbie that Tulum would not be a good choice. Xel Ha is touristy and crowded, but the kids would love it.<BR>There are several nice horseback riding places on 307 - Rancho Grande, etc. There are a couple of neat cenotes to snorkel in with good restaurants.<BR>

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 10:47 AM
Peggy

Thanks everybody!! I really apreciate your help and comments! Keep 'em coming!

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 02:06 PM
Jason

Also, if you plan to go to Xel-Ha, you may want to rent a car or take a cab ---my fiancee and I went last year and left from Iberostar Quetzal (not Parisio) early and stopped many times along the way picking up people at various resorts and really wished we could have arrived earlier and stayed longer . . . Ask others what they think ---- swimming with the Dolphins and getting pictures was worth it --- you really don't swim with them at Xel-ha, but they jump over you, they swim around you, and the instructors show you the dolphins up close and teach you a little bit about them ---- <BR>Have fun --- Iberostar is a good place to go with children --- it caters to them more so than the other resorts - - -

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 03:25 PM
Monica

If the boys like to fish, I would recommend a half day of fishing. The fishing is starting to get real good that time of year-dorado, blue marlin, sailfish among others. If interested, I can recommend someone that is great with kids. His name is Captain Edy Pena and you can contact him at [email protected]

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 06:34 PM
becky

Xcaret (esh-car-et) is very nice, clean, lots to see and do. My husband and I went on the underground river with our snorkel gear, it took about 1/2 hour. Lots of people just float along it, but if you have a snorkel mask you'll see why they insist on life jackets - there are portions that are about 20 feet deep. There are basically no fish to see until you reach the very end. My sister-in-law watched the employees as they loaded the large locked duffle bags they give you while you are on the river to store your belongings. They were playing football with them! Don't store anything fragile in them! Our 11 and 13 year olds liked Captain Hooks Pirate cruise out of Cancun. Snorkeling off the reef by Puerto Morelos is good. The Mayan Adventure at the La Isla shopping center in Cancun was fun for the kids too.

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 10:24 AM
Peggy

Thanks everybody!! I really appreciate all of the suggestions. Do you think that we need to make reservationsfor some of the excursions before we leave home? We'll be there the week after Easter. (Well, Good Friday to the next Friday)