Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   What are good tours and activities in Puerto Vallarta? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/what-are-good-tours-and-activities-in-puerto-vallarta-287172/)

marthag Feb 10th, 2003 06:57 PM

What are good tours and activities in Puerto Vallarta?

From the internet and travel publications,I gather that there are horseback riding,jungle tours,whale watching,swimming with the dolphins,eco-tours, snorkeling and day trips to remote beaches. I'd appreciate any insights as to which are good activities/day tours and the names of the company that operates them, if possible.PV Babe has warned me that jungle tours may be a waste of time....and I'd like to be warned of other poor activities....and steered to good activities. Thanks for your help.

suze Feb 11th, 2003 12:51 PM

Can't speak from experience because I've never done a formal tour or 'activity' (&amp; I've been to PV 15 times, 1-2 weeks each trip)!!<BR><BR>I get all the excitement I need from taking a bus north or south of town for a beach day, strolling the Malecon in the evening, and walking the 'real' neighborhoods on foot by day.<BR><BR>Believe me once you are there, if you are staying at a resort, you will be swarmed with opportunties from various operators and time-share sales people.<BR><BR>I choose to avoid this and 'live local' as much as possible for my time in PV. It's just a matter of personal vacation style and preference so it's hard to answer your question without knowing you - what would be fun for some would be an absolute nightmare for others ;-)

poopface Feb 13th, 2003 10:19 AM

Again, we seem to be agreeing with suze --appears we like the same things &quot;to do&quot; in P.V. On the other hand, you can take all kinds of tours. The jungle rides are not (in our opinion) worth the money. The trips to Yelapa, about 2 hours by large tour boat, south of Vallarta used to be fun but have become too commercialized. If you want to go, grab a water taxi next door to the Hotel Rosita. It is faster and cheaper.<BR>Because Puerto Vallarta still holds on to its historic Mexican charm, even though tourism is its main industry, our activities are perhaps too simple for most folks. We thoroughly enjoy submerging ourselves in the culture for the time we are there (our 21st visit coming up in a few weeks.) <BR>Our favorite pasttimes are &quot;beaching it&quot; while relaxing with a good book. Walking in the neighborhoods and becoming acquainted with locals -- who are warm and eager to connect with we &quot;Northerners.&quot; We always make several trips to Gutierrez Rizo, a terrific super market, for some daily supplies -- and have lunch across the street in a small seafood restaurant. At night, we often attend whatever is going on at the ampitheatre downtown by the Malecon. We always make contact and spend time with our Mexican friends who live in Vallarta and partake of superb Mexican fare at restaurants that are frequented by locals. <BR>If you want, a city tour is fun, cheap and informative for &quot;first timers.&quot; You can book a tour easily with an agent in your hotel lobby. The tour usually takes you thru the city and then into the foothills for lunch. <BR>A trip inland to a small town is also a good way to become initially familiar with local customs and people. We always go to San Juan (about 35k NE) to see an elderly couple -- ages 100 &amp; 81 -- who befriended us several years ago. Alternatively, take a cab to Pitillal and spend part of the day walking, shopping and becoming acquainted. Great fun!<BR><BR>Enjoy your trip!! P.V. is a terrific place with terrific people.

pattysuericia Feb 13th, 2003 11:54 AM

Hi, I'm from canada and wish to escape the harsh canadian winters. Anyone have a suggestion of where to rent thats reputable? Thanks a lot;hope to get responses

suze Feb 13th, 2003 01:02 PM

¡Hola! poopface~ Great minds DO think alike ;-) anyone who puts a visit to Rizo's supermercado, beach &amp; book, stroll the Malecon, and visit local friends and restaurants at the top of their PV list - well you're my kind of guy/gal!!<BR><BR>And for Patty who has posted numerous requests~~ as I said in one other place you need to tell us alot more about what you want. You can find a room in Puerto Vallarta for $15US/night or $500+US/night and every price in between.

pattysuericia Feb 13th, 2003 01:51 PM

Something nice Suze;not a dump but good location with amenities;yes, you're right. I have posted a few messages-it's like the Arctic here and I have had enough. Something that is a reasonable price and of course would be nice to socialize wherever I rent.

dabblingman Feb 24th, 2003 12:25 PM

Hi, just got back from a 2/15-2/21 trip. Did 3 excursions. Las Caletas with Vallarta Adventures, which was well done, a little bit of &quot;fun party&quot; kind of stuff, not really very good snorkeling, and I think I hadn't hit full relaxation mode yet, but the tour company was solid. Then we did Geronimo to the Marietas Islands. Great whale watching, mellower atmosphere, amazing snorkeling. I highly recommend them. We also did a 3-hour horseback ride with El Rancho Morena. Very enjoyable, and got to see some of the countryside. I'd recommend them too. I heard bad things about the various jungle tours too, and didn't try any. Enjoy!