What about a trip to Oaxaca?

Dec 1st, 2001, 09:23 AM
christy s

What about a trip to Oaxaca?

My husband and I are thinking about visiting Oaxaca in January. Does anyone know anything about this city? Any tips for going/not going? We wanted a non-beach-resort type holiday and thought this looked like a good place. Thanks for any information.

Dec 1st, 2001, 11:09 AM
Susan

We were there for a week a few years ago and loved it! The city itself is interesting (markets, etc.) and there is a lot to see outside the city (ruins at Monte Alban and other sites). Plus there are smaller towns around Oaxaca which specialize in different crafts. There is a lot to do and see in that area.

Dec 1st, 2001, 02:40 PM
Sandy

Christy,

We were there for a week this summer and it was GREAT! We can't wait to go back. I typed up my travelog and will email it if you want. Please email me at my above address.

I've been all over Mexico (many times) and this is the BEST!

Buen viaje,
Sandy

Dec 2nd, 2001, 01:04 PM
texasgirl

Like Susan and Sandy, i LOVE Oaxaca. It has a beautiful zcalo, ringed with great little restaurants and bars where both locals and tourists hang out, where we spent a lot of time; the market is great also. And there are so many villages to explore nearby _ many of them have their own market days that are fun to visit. Ruins at Monte Alban are good too. ALl over, the art//textiles is just beautiful, and very varied.

Also, if you decide you have to have a beach, you can take a quick flight to Huatulco and spend a couple days there or at Puerto Angel or Puerto Escondido.

Dec 2nd, 2001, 02:35 PM
christy s

Thanks for all the good info. I guess one of our biggest concerns is how safe is it to travel in Mexico? We've heard good and bad stories and are a little worried, especially with all that's happening in the world today.

Dec 4th, 2001, 06:47 AM
texasgirl

Without knowing what stories you've heard, I can't really comment specifically. But I've been to Mexico about a dozen times, all over, and have never had problems. Sure, there is some petty crime _ theft and the occasional pickpocket _ but nothing that couldn't occur anywhere else. Just stay with normal precautions, and you should be fine. One thing is, most towns, including Oaxaca, have more pedestrians out than in many US cities, so as long as you notice others around, you will probably be OK.

Dec 4th, 2001, 11:52 AM
Dirk

I have been to Oaxaca twice and would go back again anytime. The mornings can be quite chilly, so bring some kind of a jacket. The architecture is incredible. Make sure you stay near the zocalo. Monte Albon is , well, ok as ruins go, but the view from up there is worth the trip. You must see El Tule, el arbol mas grande (y tambien mas viejo). It sounds hokey, but it is awesome. I dont think I would be too concerned about safety, as there are always so many people in the streets, but things close up fairly early, so you may want to be cautious if you are out real late. There is a huge collective market type festival in the zocalo for a couple days during the second week of January which would be fun if you could catch it.

Dec 10th, 2001, 02:41 AM
Cecelia

Hi, I went to lanquage school there last Jan. and loved it. Don't stay in a big hotel, I stayed with a family and it was fantastic. I don't think it would be a problem to rent a room in a room or try a b&b. Take lots of escursions to the ruins and marketplaces. This is the best place in Mexico to buy arts and crafts and see it made. Have fun.......and try the mole.

Dec 28th, 2001, 07:02 AM
evad

I go to Oaxaca on a regular basis and enjoy it every time. From Jan 1. to 6. downtown is a zoo building up to Epiphany. You may enjoy it or you may find it really crowded. Nevertheless it is one of the most interesting places in the world. As far as the crime quetion, I have never hear of anything other than petty theft. There is really a lot to see and do.

Dec 29th, 2001, 07:37 PM
mkp;n

np