Costa Rica plan--need quick help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2011, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just was able to book airfare to SJO for June 17, 2011 arriving at 11:00 AM. Have 10 nights, the last one being by the airport for 6:55 departure. I am still unsure of the best plan of attack. Sounds like a battle rather than a trip, doesn"t it? Since we are first timers (two adults) to CR we want to make the best choices. We want to see Arenal and Monteverde. The one thing we will probably not do is rafting because we have done it a number of times. We want some ocean and beach time, but prefer nature and beaches versus beautiful people lounging around for hours on beaches. Have considered the Uvita area, maybe Tikvillas, also MA. But maybe we should go to Osa. Can we even get in anywhere at this late notice? We appreciate everyone's advice. Also we are open to renting a car, hiring a driver, flying or a combo. Most lodging choices may fall in the $80 to 130 range unless we hit Osa. Thanks for your timely help.
Old Jun 5th, 2011, 04:03 AM

Suggesting 3 nights Arenal, 2 nights Monteverde, 3-4 nights Bosque del Cabo on the Osa for a grand splurge! Also, the Uvita idea is a very good one, and perhaps a little simpler to pull off without requiring the domestic flights.

I think I'd go to Monteverde first, then to Arenal, back to San Jose for the Osa. Arenal first if you plan to head to Uvita.
Old Jun 5th, 2011, 04:58 AM

servicecarrental.com mapache.com for rental

arenal.net tabacon monterverdeinfo.com fondavela.com

hotelvillacaletas.com then corcovado.org lookout-inn.com

or bosquedelcabo.com for a splurge.

Have fun!
Old Jun 5th, 2011, 05:00 AM

good personal eperience at cunadelangel.com

Dominical/Uvita also Cristal Ballena for whale watching

on your way down back to break up your journey

but a beautiful drive.
Old Jun 5th, 2011, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Can I get to either Arenal or Monteverde if my plane arrives at 11:50 AM? Trying not to miss a day.
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 09:28 AM

Drive to Arenal, it takes a few hours - but its a pretty drive. You should be able to be at your hotel for dinner and with time to relax. We stayed at the Nayara in Arenal and loved it.
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 09:46 AM

You can use the Jeep Boat Jeep with Desafio to travel between Arenal and Monteverde if you don't want to do the drive. We paid about $25-30 per person, and it includes a boat ride and saves time on the bumpy roads.
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 01:07 PM

My pricerange was similar to yours although you will not find the great deal I had at Manuel Antonio at Arenas del Mar.

I liked Arenal Observatory Lodge, I had one of the downstairs rooms at White Hawk. Great views (and I was lucky).

Shelter from the Storm in the Domincal area should be in that price range and they show some availability for Monkey and Abajo, their lowest priced units (Abajo has the great view, Monkey is fewer steps). They have A/C as well as good cross ventilation.

Another option is Hacienda Baru (no A/C). Better wildlife than Manuel Antonio. Even if you don't stay there, go for a visit and read Jack's articles on his website. Here's a recent one about a puma sighting this April!!!

http://haciendabaru.com/a-one-colored-big-small-cat

http://www.shelter-from-the-storm.net/