Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Weather Event in Costa Rica (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/weather-event-in-costa-rica-843598/)

jenwalker Jun 6th, 2010 09:45 AM

Weather Event in Costa Rica

Hi,
We are going to Costa Rica in late June/early July. I keep reading about bad weather/geologic events and I just want to get a handle on whether or not this is par for the course in Casta Rica or somthing out of the usual.

I have seen reports on a 6.5 earthquake last week and a 6.1 earthquake the week before. Arenal erupted recently and they evacuated the park. Manuel Antonio is closed this week due to storm damage. There is a yellow storm warning in Costa Rica and it says 1000 people have been affected by the storms.

Should I be worried. This is my first time to CR so I dont really know what to expect.

Thoughts?

KGDCR Jun 6th, 2010 11:32 AM

The geological activity is usual and Arenal's recent activity is only a problem locally. The weather, however, is wetter than normal and comes after a rather wet dry season, at least here in the southern Pacific area. A stormy year is forecasted, so conditions may worsen. But, there is usually a dry spell the beginning of July. In fact, there is a two week school vacation then which coincides with the good weather. Try to plan early morning outings, when the sun is most likely to be shining. Also, driving at night is much more dangerous than during the day, so plan around that. We always have an emergency bag with water and food whenever we leave the house. Certain routes tend to be affected by landslides, especially the road to Limon, which was recently closed for two weeks due to rain/mud/rocks. But in general, the Caribbean side is much sunnier this time of year. It's just hard to get to. Guanacaste is drier than the south. Corcovado area is the wettest. Do your homework, and be ready to change plans if there are problems due to mother nature. Costa Rica is blessed with incredible natural beauty, but it comes with sometimes brutal natural conditions. The good news is that the roads are in relatively good condition and the bridges are intact, since we had a calm rainy season last year. Have a good trip.

jenwalker Jun 6th, 2010 03:36 PM

Thanks for your reply. This is very helpful. We will try to stay informed. Do you have any favorite links/information for keeping up.

kippy6 Jul 3rd, 2010 06:49 PM

Any updates on the weather there 1st week of July 2010? Very concerned about rain and recent knowledge of roads that are washed out. We have the opportunity to postpone our trip if the weather is too bad. (Arenal and Manuel Antonio)

qwovadis Jul 4th, 2010 04:34 AM

the Rains were a result of Agatha MA Park has reopened

usual amt of rain now Arenal is open you should be fine

Normal green season conditions right now

stay flexible but odds are great you will be fine...

hipvirgochick Jul 4th, 2010 11:05 AM

I am here in CR right now. We've been traveling from Puerto Viejo to Tortuguero and now in Montezuma. Leaving for Osa tomorrow morning. The weather has been wonderful. It has sprinkled for a short time one day and other than that no rain except for at night. This could change, obviously, at any minute, but I wouldn't worry too much...

kippy6 Jul 4th, 2010 06:38 PM

Thanks guys - we are arriving on July 5. Can't wait!! Hope the children like it as much as I do!

plumboy Jul 4th, 2010 07:31 PM

hip, get off the internet -- you're on vacation!

kippy6 Jul 4th, 2010 10:22 PM

We are starting our vacation today (July 5). Flying into Liberia. And Wilson will be driving us today!!