We're on our way!

Oct 28th, 2006, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

We're on our way!

Woo-hoo. I and my husband are Isla-bound! We purchased our flight five minutes ago. Now if we could just finalize that last pesky detail - where to stay!

After an exhaustive search, we're considering the following:

Casa Ixchel

Villa Bonita de Isla

Luna D'Miel

Villas las Brisas

Playa Media Luna

Welcome any thoughts, suggestions, tips, etc.
Can't wait!
CDG
Oct 29th, 2006, 05:08 AM

Congratulations on booking your trip!

Deciding where to stay is fun, but sometimes frustrating.

Here's my thoughts, based on my biases. I like to be within easy walking distance of downtown. That means from your list I'd stay at either Media Luna (although some reviews recently haven't been as good as they used to be). Or Casa Ixchel, which wasn't even built last time I was on Isla. I've read some reviews of that place to that haven't been too flattering. I think you need to spend some money to get a full suite, otherwise you may end up in a room with no view at all.

If you don't mind cabs or are planning on having a golf cart anyway, the decision becomes tougher, and I'll let someone else offer assistance.

Have you been to the Isla boards?
Oct 29th, 2006, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Hi Jean,
Thanks a bunch. I have checked two other isla boards. Right now I'm leaning toward Casa Ixchel. I spoke directly with Oscar there and he said once we book with them, i.e. give him our cc information, the room we choose is on hold. However, I too have read the recent reviews regarding booking/check-in trouble. At Media Luna for our stay they have no King rooms and we would have a standard, which I understand is on the lower/first floor? Do you think we would still get th same great view? CI also offers a kitchen/kitchenette and great-looking bath facilities, so that's a draw as well. I dunno. I'd like to make a decision soon though.
Oct 29th, 2006, 08:47 AM

Keeping in mind that it's been three years since I've been on Isla, I recall the first night we were at Media Luna we were in a King room on the first floor. Since I like sleeping with just the screen shut, we asked to be moved to a second or third floor room after that. I can't remember which floor we were on, the views were awesome. This was before they had built those jacuzzi suites. When I booked for this Janaury (through Lost Oasis) I booked a standard room (traveling with a friend, not my husband, want two beds), and asked for a room on the upper floors. It's noted, but not guaranteed. I'm thinking as you look at the property from the beach that the rooms on the left may have two beds (I know they do on the first floor) and the ones on the right are kings. I could be wrong though, and things certainly could have changed in three years.

I went and looked at Casa Ixchel's web site. It looks lovely. You might want to ask about construction issues.

I suspect there's construction all over Isla. I hope it doesn't grow too much and lose it's charm.
Oct 29th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

That's exactly what I'd planned to do, call Oscar to ask about construction nearby. A recent TripAdvisor review from a couple who stayed at CI earlier this month said there was some and they were movied to a quieter room as a result. Yes, I hear ILM is very charming and hasn't necessarily been "spoiled" yet by too much tourist-type establishments.
Oct 30th, 2006, 05:05 AM

Boy, do I feel dumb. I didn't realize that there was more than one property on Isla with 'Ixchel' in the name. The one I'd heard negative comments about the rooms is the one on Playa Norte, not the one you're looking at. Sorry for any misinformation. I guess I just need to get down there and check it out for myself.
Oct 31st, 2006, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

No worries JeanH. There were a couple of reservation issues at CI earlier this year actually, but they seem to have been resolved and reviews since then have been glowing. We booked it and now we're just counting down the days!!!