Water Temps along Mexican Riviera in March

Old Sep 10th, 2006, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water Temps along Mexican Riviera in March

We are planning a cruise to the Mexican Riviera the last week of March and some of the things that we are thinking about doing involve swimming and snorkeling. We have heard from a friend that the water temps can be pretty chilly that time of year. OUr ports are Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta and Cabo San Lucas. What are we going to encounter for water temps?

Also, we are wondering about the quality of the snorkeling. I have never thought of that part of the world as a snorkeling destination, but maybe I'm wrong. We have most recently snorkeled the Great Barrier Reef and have snorkeled lots of times in the Caribbean. How will this compare?

Any suggestions for "must sees" in any of those ports?
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 06:55 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
what you've heard is correct, snorkeling in Vallarta is not so great.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 08:16 AM

I have found that PV has the best snorkeling on The Mainland Pacfic coast from Mazatlan to Acapulco. Now having said that it does not compare with the Caribbean. Water temp IMO is not bad in late March. I snorkel sans wetsuit wearing only my swim trunks.
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. We'll probably take our masks, but not bother with all the other gear. I think we'll just enjoy the scenary, the people, the food, etc. I suspect after the GBR and the Caribbean, we would be a bit disappointed. Really looking forward to the cruise!
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 01:28 PM
sfe

We did a cruise to the same ports the last week of March, 2004. We snorkeled in Cabo ~ BRRRRR! The water was freezing, but I still had a blast! Didn't see many fish. Snorkeling in Grand Cayman was much, much better.

The water in Mazatlan was great, though. We just had a beach day there, and the water was nice and warm.

Enjoy your cruise!