Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Warm & Sunny Beach Weather in February (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/warm-and-sunny-beach-weather-in-february-906799/)

Bellibop Sep 21st, 2011 05:27 AM

Warm & Sunny Beach Weather in February

Where can my 12 year old daughter and I go in February that will be warm and sunny and beach weather?

Stewbear Sep 21st, 2011 09:18 AM

Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa has warm water & temps in the mid 80's in Febuary.

suze Sep 21st, 2011 09:27 AM

Pretty much anywhere on the coast in Mexico is beautiful in Febuary. I have been to Puerto Vallata, Cabo San Lucas, La Paz. PV is my favorite. Anywhere on the Caribbean side is good too. Depending exactly what kind of experience you're looking for... Cancun, Isla Mujeres, Playa del Carmen, Akumal, Tulum, Cozumel. Or back to the west coast Zihuat/Ixtapa, Mazatlan, etc.

I'm sure there are nice beaches in Belize, Costa Rica, and Panama. Just depends how far you want to go, and what kind of place to stay you are looking for. Do you want to rent a car and drive around? Or just stay at an all-inclusive resort? Or a local style hotel?

JeanH Sep 21st, 2011 01:30 PM

As said above, any of your destinations will be warm and sunny.

What else do you want to do with your time?

Tamarindo_Joe Sep 21st, 2011 02:20 PM

I'd recommend visiting Costa Rica with all its beautiful beaches, rainforests, and volcanos. Tamarindo, Costa Rica is almost guaranteed to be sunny and the chance of rain is almost zero. You can do a ton of things in Costa Rica with you and your daughter. Check out the forums here and on www.tripadvisor.com as well.

Stewbear Sep 21st, 2011 04:18 PM

Sorry Suze but Baja Sur (La Paz/Cabo) can be darn cold in February

suze Sep 22nd, 2011 06:28 AM

Thanks for that info, Stewbear. My one visit to La Paz was in March and the weather was gorgeous. Sunny and hot.

I do definitely agree the further south they choose likely the better weather they will find. No doubt that.

RAC Sep 22nd, 2011 07:56 AM

What else is important to you besides sun and sand and water? there are lots of beaches.

suze Sep 22nd, 2011 09:52 AM

Traveling with a kid I would take into consideration length of flights, connections, time change, local transportation options, etc.

Are you looking for a fancy resorts or something rustic? Or in between?

raulpanama Sep 24th, 2011 10:51 AM

You should try Panama. As much nature as Costa Rica but a lot more history and cultural heritage. Also plenty of beaches...
Feb is a great time of the year to visit, Very sunny

tenthumbs Sep 27th, 2011 10:39 AM

I've had warm and sunny AND cool and windy in Cabo in February. PV is warmer, as are Mazatlan and Ixtapa. Jaco Beach in Costa Rica was definitely warm!!! Cruises to the Caribbean or Mexico would also be an option.

Where will you be flying from? What is your budget? What are your interests? Are you adventurous and want ziplining and snorkeling, or relaxed and want to just sit on the beach and read a book? Do you like history? Nature? There are so many warm, sunny places, it will be easier to make a recommendation with a few more details.

snorkelluvn Oct 3rd, 2011 10:20 AM

If you want guaranteed warmth and sunshine every day, go to Huatulco,in southern Mexico in the state of Oaxaca. At that time of year, it is sun, sun, sun and 80s. The area is built around 12 bays, with clusters of beautiful beaches, many that you can easily and cheaply taxi to, and not have to share it with many people, or you can book a "bay tour" on a boat where the guide will take you to various beaches, inc. some that are accessible only by boat. It is on the Pacific with the best snorkeling on that side. The snorkeling was actually very, very good, IMO, with tons of fish and variety and great visibility. You can go into the tranquil and safe towns (La Crucecita is my fav.) and have great Oaxacan food, shop and people-watch. Huatulco is really fantastic.