Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

wanting the deluxe/modern (close to luxious resort in Oaxaca & Huatulco)? Want a little bit of Mexican flavor resort but not required.

wanting the deluxe/modern (close to luxious resort in Oaxaca & Huatulco)? Want a little bit of Mexican flavor resort but not required.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 07:09 AM
david

Please us to find the most beautiful resort such as grounds, room & bathroom, good service, beautiful pool/beach in Oaxaca & Huatulco. Thank you.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 09:22 AM
Jean Valjean

http://www.camino-real-oaxaca.com/

The place used to be a convent and now is one of the nicest hotels in Oaxaca.

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 04:17 AM
Earl

I would strongly suggest the Camino Real properties in Oaxaca City and Huatulco. We spent a week at each of the hotels last June and loved them both.
CR Oaxaca is a restored convent, about 450 years old. The location, service, and staff are exceptional. The CR Zaashila, in Huatulco is located on a fantastic stretch of beach. Very secluded. Again, everything about this hotel is perfect.
Ask for an upgrade to the Club – Level rooms. A little more expensive, but they come with an excellent buffet breakfast and an evening cocktail hour. Our room at Zaashila had it’s own "splash pool". Our 14ft. x 16ft. pool was very secluded and quite romantic. Also check on the availability of a package called "More Mexico for less". We received our 4th night free at both of the hotels. Over the years we have stayed in CR properties in10 different cities and loved them all.
You can book direct with CR at 1-800-7 CAMINO.
Their web site is: http://www.caminoreal.com/english/index.html
We also used the services of excellent guides in both cities. Eme if you would like any more information.

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 05:37 AM
david

Earl,

Thank you so much for the info. what are "a must" sight seeing to do & so on?
Please give me more info about the excellent service guide. Is the beach water clear or nice enough at the CR Zaashila?

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 06:15 AM
Earl

David, I think that you will love Oaxaca. It is an amazing part of Mexico. You can spend days wandering the streets and visiting historic buildings and churches. The zocolo is one of the loveliest that we have seen in Mexico. Lots of activity, nice sidewalk cafes and excellent restaurants. There are several pedestrianized streets that go through the historic center of the city so getting around is very easy.
Some of the obvious places to visit outside of the city include the Ruins at Monte Alban. If you are in to ruins, don’t take a guided tour to the site. Take public transportation and spend as much time as you wish. We were there for most of a day. For day trips to surrounding villages we hired a car and driver.
Arnolo Mendoza is and wonderful guide. He speaks excellent English, is very knowledgeable and he has a nice sedan. His rates were negotiable. They ranged from 80 to 100 pesos per hour. We spent 2 days with him. His telephone number in Oaxaca City is 517-5263. One day we went out to the ruins at Mitla and Yagul and also included stops at the weaver’s village of Teotitlan del Valle and Tlacolula.
Another day trip took us to San Bartolo Coyotepec a village famous for its black pottery. We stopped at the factory of Dona Rosa, still run by her son, Valente. We also traveled to the wood-carving village of Arrazola. If you eme at my yahoo address I can suggest some excellent restaurants. I will post again with some info on Huatulco.

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 06:49 AM
Earl

To answer your questions about Huatulco, the ocean all along the coast is beautiful. In front of the Camino Real, there is a lovely stretch of very private beach with palapa umbrellas. We will definitely return to Huatulco.
We spent a lot of time walking around the towns of La Crucecita and Santa Cruz. They were a short cab ride away from the CR. The gentleman who operates the taxi concession at the hotel and his son also work as tour guides. We retained their service for two days and had a very good time.
The guide’s name is Carlos Rodriguez Portillo (his son is also Carlos, which makes it easy!) They speak good English, have dependable cars and are very knowledgeable about the area. We took one day trip up the coast to the Ventanilla Lagoon and the Mexican turtle center at Mazunte. A second trip took us up in to the mountains to a coffee plantation. We had a great time on both excursions.
Carlos had an email address last June. [email protected]
They also have several phone numbers 958 58 3 44 02 or 044 958 58 7 73 61 or 044 958 58 9 42 73
I hope that this helps and that I have not bored too many of you.

Old Dec 1st, 2002, 07:57 AM
david

Thank you again Earl! We're planning to use AA airline miles & what is the best way to get to Ohaxaca & huatulco?
Also, Which area would you choose Oaxaca or Huantulco. We only have a week. Which CR is more luxious/nice?
Thank you for all your kind advice & help. We live in Dallas, TX.

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 04:49 AM
Earl

David,
It all depends on your interests. Oaxaca City is a beautiful and interesting place. There are fantastic ruins close by and lovely villages filled with talented artisans. Huatulco is a tropical paradise with beautiful beaches and fabulous mountains nearby. The people in both areas are very friendly and helpful. We loved both regions, but for totally different reasons.
The CR Zaashila is a much more upscale destination. We loved the hotel. The CR in Oaxaca City is a 450 year old restored convent, and not as luxurious. We flew Mexicana from S.F. to Mexico City and connected to a Oaxaca flight. There is also direct service from Mexico City to Huatulco. We took a little "puddle jumper" from Oaxaca city to Huatulco. Hope this helps.