Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

WANTED: Mexico, seclusion, casitas, beautiful beach, and good snorkeling

Old Mar 9th, 2003, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no idea where in Mexico to start. All I know is that I want to be spoiled. I don't want a touristy and family friendly spot. I would love a small resort (20ish bungalow/casita style) that sits on a beautiful beach with crystalline waters. I also would like an area that has good snorkling. Please help me spoil myself. Thanks!
Old Mar 9th, 2003, 06:51 PM
me

Check out the " Omni" hotel in Puerto Aventuras , it's not all inclusive , but you can get some meal plan if you like ,the rest of the resort (30 rooms?)beach + location... fit what you 're looking for.This in an area about 1 hour plus ,South of Cancun airport.
Old Mar 9th, 2003, 08:35 PM

Well, don't know how much you want to spend but if price wasn't an object, I would definitely consider Hotel Maroma in Riviera Maya or Villa Rolandi on Isla Mujeres (although Rolandi's beach is not that great but private).

http://www.maroma-mexico.com/opening.htm
http://www.villarolandi.com/

We stayed at Villa Rolandi before Christmas and this place was exceptional. There are only 20 suites. The price included continental breakfast that was slipped thru a little door in the wall...and 3 course gourmet dinner, excluding drinks and tips. The rooms are all ocean front, come with a nice sitting area, a hot tub on your balcony and there's a 2 person steam shower in each room. It also included a ride on their private yacht to/from the Embarcardo docks in Cancun. If you want to be pampered, this place will do the job. You can rent a golf cart or hire a taxi to snorkel at the water park. There's a message board just for Isla Mujeres if you want to snoop around some more on the subject.

http://www.isla-mujeres.net/

If you find any others, please share your findings with the forum. I prefer small intimate resorts as you can tell from the above. Good Luck!

Old Mar 9th, 2003, 08:44 PM

Marnie, be sure to check out the mini video on the Maroma website.

http://www.maroma-mexico.com/video_archive.htm

Old Mar 10th, 2003, 11:50 AM

Hotel Maroma is supposed to be great and was recommended by the Travel Channel. It is secluded and a little ways away from the Riviera Maya scene.
I've stayed in that area, but it was 13 years ago before there was even a place called the Riviera Maya. Stayed at huts on the beach, but, alas, new massive development has overtaken.

Another beautiful area is Puerto Escondido and Huatulco on the Pacific side. No snorkeling, but beautiful setting very relaxed and uncrowded.
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 02:25 PM

Marnie, try doing a search on "Majahuitas" on this message board as well as on the site differentworld.com. It is just south of Puerto Vallarta and fits your description to an absolute T, right up to the "casitas" requirement.