Walmart in Playa del Carmen

Apr 16th, 2012, 03:12 AM
Original Poster

Walmart in Playa del Carmen

I've read there is a new Walmart in Playa del Carmen. I've only been to the one in Cancun and found a rather limited choice of "summer" clothes in quality and sizes compared to the US. Is Walmart in PdC bigger and better or is it basically the same all over Mexico. What are my options for shopping in Playa del Carmen?
Thanks
Apr 16th, 2012, 03:47 AM

This makes me sad. I remember PdC in the 80's when it was a tiny little town. Whatever animal happened to be tied up at the butcher shop was what everyone would be eating for the next few days. I had friends who lived there and rented an ocean front home for $800/mo-- including full time housekeeper and gardener. I loved it there. Unfortunately, when Walmart shows up it closes the last chapter on what a town once was...
Apr 16th, 2012, 04:00 AM

Walmart has been in town for a few years now as has Mega. They are both located on 30th Avenue.
Apr 16th, 2012, 08:54 AM

Both the Walmart and Megastore in Playa are pretty massive by any standard. Just fyi, some of the best places to eat are in this same area. Yes Playa is no longer a sleepy little town. It seems to grow by a few more blocks of condos every year.
Apr 16th, 2012, 10:08 AM

In the early 80's they didn't even have a paved road! You know you're getting old when you long for the good old days...
Apr 16th, 2012, 03:27 PM

(disclaimer I have not beeen to PdC) but I will bet all my peso that there are plenty of places to shop for "summer clothes" there. No need to go to a big box store. I know 5th Avenue is the main drag in town, right? I'd start with the shops there.
Apr 16th, 2012, 03:34 PM

The good old days for people who lived there may not have been so wonderful. For folks that visit and vacation it's quiet and sleepy. For locals, the lack of facilities, education and employment is not so great.
Apr 17th, 2012, 09:09 AM
jw2

"What are my options for shopping in Playa del Carmen?"

Was there about 4 weeks ago - I would shop at PDC Walmart for the same sort of things I'd shop a Kansas City Walmart! mid to lower end clothing, houseares, groceries.... we bought everyday clothes that we hadn't wanted to pack, groceries and liquir for the condo. Didn't need a stereo, TV, tools, or appliances. Most clothes anywhere in Playa will be "summer" or at least it's hard to find a parka.

Fashionable clothing mostly along 5th Ave. Real people clothes along the main real people shopping streets (Juarez, etc.)
Apr 17th, 2012, 11:51 AM

My thoughts run along the lines as colokid mentions. In Puerto Vallarta plenty of tourists boo-hooed when McDonald's, then Sam's Club, Walmart, etc. showed up. Said it was spoiling their vacation paradise. But the local residents were happy and considered them handy and 'progress'.
Apr 19th, 2012, 10:29 AM

I remember when they extended telephone service to Yelapa Suze. Many tourists bemoaned this saying "there goes paradise". I wonder how the same tourists would feel about no phone service at their home. This was before cell phones.
So my point is while I Never shop (or even enter) Walmart if Mexicans choose to do so more power to them. It Ain't up to me or any other touristo!
Apr 20th, 2012, 11:38 AM

heck i was sad when they first put glass in the windows of my favorite local hotel! really spoiled the ambiance -lol-
Apr 22nd, 2012, 02:57 PM

I'm not generally a shopper at WalMart, but I must admit it is really convenient to be able to walk over a few blocks from 5th Avenue (the main drag) and go to WalMart for something like a beach towel or suntan lotion that would cost an arm and leg on the 5th Ave Strip or near the beach-or something you forgot to bring or suddenly need - for kids especially. Ditto Mega for some soft drinks to keep in your hotel fridge, or a few avocados or crackers, etc.