Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Volcano Attack! – Puebla, Tlaxcala, and Mexico City

Mar 3rd, 2019, 04:33 AM
Original Poster

Hello all,

We just returned from a ten-night trip to Mexico. I must say it was the weirdest trip we have ever had (details follow), although it was full of many great moments.

We had planned to do a triangle with Oaxaca as the southern point, going directly to Puebla on arrival at the Mexico City airport and then going by bus a few days later to Oaxaca, then flying to Mexico City for the last part of the trip. But the appearance of scattered blockades on the Puebla-Oaxaca highway and the Oaxaca airport road made us fear that the next part of the trip would be discombobulated, so we redesigned things. Next time, however, we think we will just chance it and go adelante adelante to Oaxaca, come what may.

The volcano attack: We arrived Feb 16 and from the Mexico City airport at once took an express bus to Puebla. The major volcano near these two cities, Popcatepetl, erupted that day but we did not know that. To make a long story short, we started feeling ill, slowly, then rapidly, in the next few days, as we visited Puebla and then Tlaxcala. DH started to feel very bad, fearing an oncoming stroke. Or, we thought, maybe altitude sickness? But we have been to Mexico City half a dozen times in the past 20 years and never had a problem.

Following the recommendation of our wonderful hotel in Mexico City (Red Tree House, more on this below), we went to a nearby pharmacy and its doctor. Turns out the volcano gases produce these symptoms (nausea, dizziness, shortness of breath, etc. and Mexican monitoring reported that when Popo erupted it sent a plume of gases 1.5 miles into the sky) plus there was a fire in Xochimilco in the southern part of Mexico City and lots of micro ash was all over the region. The two doctors we saw over three days were wonderful, the suggested treatment worked--keep drinking lots of water, keep eating, eat chocolate-!!!-and take a vitamin mix pill. They were very careful in understanding what was happening and did not jump the gun and prescribe heavy drugs. Our bills for the three days (20 min each time with the doc, who conversed with us as real human beings, lab each day for blood pressure, the prescription vitamin thing) = US$2.50, then US$1.50, then US$0.50. Isn't socialized medicine terrible? Other than this weird series of events, we saw some great stuff on the trip.

Popo erupts!

Okay, enough of that. Herewith, a summary of things…

Lodging:

Puebla: Hotel Boutique Casa Reyna. A gorgeous, elegant yet relaxed and comfortable hotel just about a fifteen minute walk to the cathedral and zocalo. A beautiful work by Ricardo Legoretta, who was deeply inspired by Barragan. Legoretta’s firm took a ruined centuries-old vecindad, a cluster of workers’ housing, and transformed it into this full-service hotel. The vecindad was on the other side of a river separating the indigenous and mestizo workers from the Spanish residents of central Puebla. That river today is the Cinco de Mayo boulevard.

One of the courtyards in Hotel Casa Reyna

The giant bathtub where I soaked my aching bod every day

The private rooms and public spaces are full of beautiful talavera ceramic work. One of the corridors lining a courtyard has one hundred ceramic birds attached to the wall. I reserved far in advance and snagged a junior suite for the grand total of US$101 per night. Highly recommend.

Coming up: Tlaxcala, lodging.....

Mar 3rd, 2019, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

Tlaxcala: Casona de Cortes. A charming little hotel in a classic old building, with two stories of rooms grouped around a courtyard.

Looking out at the courtyard from our bedroom at the Casona de Cortes

Mexico City: Red Tree House. This is the second year we have stayed in RTH, a super welcoming B&B in Condesa. Everything is perfect, the rooms, service, and Mexican breakfasts. Plus complimentary wine happy hour so you can meet the other guests.

One of the living rooms of the Red Tree House; it was chilly this morning so we welcomed the fire
Mar 3rd, 2019, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

Restaurants

Here are a few highs and lows of our trip:

Puebla: CasaReyna, very good breakfasts and dinners. Especially good was the main dish of four moles on chicken breast.

Hotel CasaReyna: four moles on chicken breast

Puebla: El Mural de los Poblanos: superb! We ate dinner two nights in a row. Our favorite dishes—fideos secos, cooked moist noodles in a delicate chipotle sauce with cotija cheese and avocade; sopa poblana, a chicken broth with slices of mild poblano pepper, fresh white cheese, mushrooms, and other good things; mole poblano with turkey. Excellent mezcal margaritas.

Tlaxcala: Evoka, in the town of Apizaco. A fraudulent fiasco! This had been highly praised in the blog “Good Food Mexico” describing the new restaurant of the young chef Francisco Molina. We journeyed by taxi from Tlaxcala, only to find that we were the only patrons in the restaurant on a Tuesday night (we had reserved three weeks before). In brief: instead of the full tasting menu which we had ordered, which was described in detail on the web site, we were served three little vegetable dishes, one taco with cheese and escamoles (ant eggs—don’t get excited, they don’t taste like anything), and then desserts—no meat, no fish, nothing as described on the web site. When asked about the platos fuertos, the waiter said that “we were given the vegetarian menu and the protein was the cheese and escamoles in the taco.” Really. You couldn’t make this up. And then he asked for the tip when he presented the bill. We then found out that the chef was not in the restaurant, so it looks like the staff was cutting corners and make it a quick evening. Okay. You are warned.

Mexico City: Meroma. A true treasure. This is a new restaurant, in Roma on the eastern side of Condesa, just a year old. Run by a young husband and wife team. We took a chance on this; it was highly praised on several web sites but still a young restaurant feeling its way. Well, it was superb: flawless, relaxed, professional service. The best mezcal margarita I have ever had. My appetizer: wild mushroom ravioli which would rival anything in Italy. Main: roasted lamb on a bed of chickpeas and delicate chipotle broth, with pomegranate seeds sprinkled on top. This sounds frou-frou but it was a terrific combination of flavors. Wine: a smashing bottle of J2 cabernet from Baja California. Go here before it gets mobbed!

Mexico City: we also enjoyed Lampuga and Merotoro (especially the grilled octopus and sweetbreads) in Condesa; very good, but not quite in the league of Meroma.

Coming up...sights
Mar 5th, 2019, 09:33 AM

Nice report(s). On our only visit to Tlaxcala wife was not feeling well. So we need to go back.
Mar 5th, 2019, 02:04 PM

Please continue. Your route is on my short list!
Mar 5th, 2019, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

Puebla

This was our first visit to Puebla. It has been on the bucket list for a long time. We caught the Estrella Roja express bus direct from the Mexico City airport. This was an easy two hour drive to the “4 poniente” station, close to the center of town, not the giant CAPU station far away on the outskirts.

A quick Uber to the Hotel Casa Reyna. We luxuriated in our junior suite (I repeat: US$101 a night, what a deal…including breakfast). We walked to the zocalo, looked around a bit, lots of energy, went back to the hotel for a very good dinner. The hotel’s restaurant is highly rated, and justifiably so.

Sunday, we slowly got organized, had a late breakfast at the hotel and walked to the centro. We walked through the Barrio del Artista, picked up a few things for the grandkids, and continued on to the Teatro Principal, supposedly the oldest continuously operating theater in the Americas. Its exterior was blinding in the sunlight, yellow-orange walls and stark white window frames. No place does color like Mexico!

Then we walked to the Casa de Alfenique, the “Candy House”. This 18th century baroque mansion was built by a wealthy young aristocrats for his fiancee, who asked for a house made of candy. Alfenique is a traditional Mexican sweet, similar to marzipan. The house is an exuberant example of Mexican baroque (as opposed to restrained baroque?). It was badly damaged by the September 2017 earthquake and it has just emerged from a careful restoration. It is resplendent. Many of the rooms have the furnishings of the colonial aristocracy, other rooms have very interesting exhibits of Mexican history, focusing mainly on the 19th century.

Afterwards we walked a couple of blocks to the Museo Regional de la Revolucion Mexicana. If you are at all interested in Mexican history, do go here. We were told that most historians date the beginning of the Mexican revolution to the assassination of Aquiles Serdan and his compatriots in 1910, as they were preparing to trigger an insurrection in Puebla against the dictatorship of Porfirio Diaz. There’s a lot of background information (in Spanish, be sure to load your translation app if you’re not fluent, which we definitely are not) and moving displays, such as the hole beneath the floor where Serdan hid for several hours before being discovered and the bullet-ridden living room.

We then walked to the zocalo, had some good tacos at a simple little place bordering the square. This was the first time I had a surtido taco, probably the last time also. Surtido, I was told, is a mix of offal parts—our waiter said he did not know specifically what was in the mix, brains, ears, stomach, who knows? So I thought I might as well try it. The verdict: sort of mediocre tasting, not nearly as good as your standard carnitas. Our waiter’s story was an interesting one: in his mid-twenties, he had lived most of his life in Atlanta but had just moved to Puebla six months before to live with his uncle. He loved Puebla. I would have liked to know more about his story, in this time of frenzied overheated hyperventilation about our southern border, but I did not want to pry.

After lunch, a visit to the cathedral, the second largest in Mexico. The façade is grey, tall, and somewhat forbidding. The vast interior is another example of the extraordinary engineering and architectural expertise of the builders in colonial Mexico. Just on the side of the cathedral is another wonder of the Mexican colonial period, the Biblioteca Palafoxiana, possibly the oldest library in the Americas. Founded in 1646, the library is housed in a beautiful 18th century structure.

We wandered slowly through the zocalo, hopping with lots of Sunday activity, back to the hotel. By this time we were feeling vaguely off-kilter but we couldn’t put our finger on what was wrong. Were we already tired of Mexico? We began to feel that we wanted to crawl in a cave someplace, or at least hop on a plane and go back home. But we kept fighting off the malaise, telling ourselves that we were being foolish.

After a rest at the hotel, we enjoyed a really fine dinner at El Mural de los Poblanos, and the mezcal margaritas helped to life our spirits.

Next up: Cholula
Mar 6th, 2019, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Sorry some of the photos don’t seem to be working. Sometimes they actually appear on my computer’s web site and sometimes they don’t. I don’t understand what the glitch is.

Anyway, back to the sights…

Cholula

Monday we Uber’d to Cholula and hired a guide to explore the pyramid. This was much more interesting than I had expected. In the past few decades archeologists have burrowed six miles of tunnels through the pyramid. Using its base dimensions, it is the largest pyramid in the world; its sides are, each, double the length of the sides of the Great Pyramid in Egypt, although it is squatter. There are many levels, one pyramid built on top of another, over many centuries. The earliest constructions go back to an offshoot of the Olmecs, so the experts surmise, then come the Toltecs, then shock waves as Tenochtitlan collapses and then once again as Tula collapses. I’m sure I’m not accurately relaying our guide’s expert account, but the gist is: waves of construction, chaos, construction, chaos, etc.

Model of the Cholula pyramid with the church of Nuestra Senora de los Remedios on top

Our guide: Alberto, college degrees in archeology and history, with a great depth of knowledge about the site. We walked around about two hours. After going through some of the tunnels (maybe a few hundred yards; most of the tunnels are closed to the general public), we walked around the other side of the pyramid to a plaza. On each side were low pavilion structures, probably where one or more leaders had their thrones. We stood in the center and Alberto started clapping his hands in a rhythmic pattern and as the sounds bounced off the surfaces they started to reproduce the song of the colibri, the hummingbird. Eerie and dramatic.

After exploring the pyramid, Alberto drove us to the village churches of Tonantzitla and Acatepec. These are two beautiful examples of indigenous colonial baroque church architecture, the interiors covered with golden zigzag scrolls, flowers, brightly painted angels and saints depicted in a charming, folkloric style. One of the churches was badly damaged in the 2017 earthquake but the villagers poured their resources into the restoration, which was quickly completed.

San Francisco Acatepec

Alberto dropped us off in the centro of Cholula, we grabbed a simple lunch, and then visited the monastery of San Gabriel Arcangel. This is a large Franciscan complex, very old, the first church having been constructed in 1529 on the ruins of the temple of Quetzalcoatl. After the collapse of the Aztec empire, Spain sent three religious orders to evangelize the indigenous peoples. The Franciscan order covered much of the area of today’s state of Puebla (the Dominicans focused on the Mixtecs and the Zapotecs of the Oaxaca region and the Augustinians worked among the Otomi in the Queretaro area). The current complex was begun in the 1540s and it is one of the oldest in the Americas.

San Gabriel Arcangel, Cholula

We were especially struck by the Capilla Real, attached to the rear of the main church. The interior looks like a simpler version of the Mezquite mosque in Cordoba, Spain, with 49 cupolas and a forest of dozens of columns. The main dome over the central altar has a big crack from the 2017 earthquake and workmen on scaffolding were hard at work trying to restore the structure.

After this long, packed day, we Uber’d back to the Casa Reyna in Puebla, rested, and enjoyed our second dinner at El Mural de los Poblanos.

Next up: morning at the Museo del Barroco and on to Tlaxcala
Mar 6th, 2019, 08:28 AM

oh, what a treat to find your TR, though i'm sorry to read about the volcano woes - I suppose it makes sense that all those noxious gases would have an effect but it's certainly not widely publicised. But it sounds as if the rest of the trip was a joy. Mexico is not anywhere on my bucket list but a TR from you might change the situation!
Mar 6th, 2019, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Hi Ann,
How nice to "see" you...any trips to Italia in your near future?
Mar 6th, 2019, 08:38 AM

Hi Bill,

I was in Venice and Bologna in Jan/Feb and in a week's time I'm off to Valencia for Las Fallas. Should be fun. How about you? Anywhere planned after this?
Mar 6th, 2019, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

No big travel plans for the near future. Enjoying Key West now, will go back to Vermont in May, and enjoy it til November. Maybe go on little trips in the fall in New England. We're now in a "one star attraction" mode. We had a very pleasant small trip to the Gloucester, Mass. area last fall and may repeat that. And/or Martha's Vineyard. We haven't really traveled around New England much.
Mar 6th, 2019, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Puebla, continued

Tuesday morning we Uber’d to the outskirts of Puebla to see the Museo Internacional del Barroco. This is a new, big, beautiful museum, in the Frank-Gehry-knock-your-socks-off-Bilbao mode. Designed by Japanese architect Toyo Ito. The building actually looks like several buildings, or rather, like several big sheets of white paper folded around each other, with a couple of reflecting pools. Stunning.

A number of web travel commenters have wondered why such a big museum was constructed on such a theme in Puebla, and why it was situated so far from the centro. These are certainly good questions. It is clearly difficult to reach for the average tourist, requiring a good 20-minute ride to get there. Not many people were visiting the morning we arrived. And given the size of the complex, I suspect that it had to be built on the perimeter of the city.

But why a “baroque” museum, and why “international baroque”? Here, I think, the planners had good reason. You can make a good case that to a certain extent Puebla was the epicenter of the age of baroque in the 17th century. The colonial district of Puebla was vast, stretching from the Pacific almost over to the Gulf of Mexico. Spanish galleons called naos carried Mexican silver and gold from Puebla district, leaving Acapulco on the Pacific and sailing to the Philippines. Merchants from Japan, China, Southeast Asia and India brought silk, spices, and porcelain to the Philippines and traded them for Mexican bullion. Once these Asian goods reached Acapalco, they were trekked to central Mexico for domestic consumption or over to Veracruz for shipment to Spain. The city of Puebla was at the center of this flow of wealth east and west. Keeping this in mind gives a new perspective when one sees the exuberant golden altarpieces in the Puebla-Mexico City area.

The museum has a massive entry hall and eight large exhibit halls, which one visits sequentially. They cover the arts, culture, society, government, and the economy of West Europe and the Americas in the 17th and early 18th centuries. Yes, that’s a tall order but the exhibits do it well, IMHO, without overcrowding the exhibition spaces. We spent a couple of hours in the museum, then returned to the Casa Reyna to pack up and leave for Tlaxcala.

Summing up our impressions of the city of Puebla and its environs: one could easily spend a week enjoying this area, visiting the sights in the city, Cholula, and some of the outlying villages. There were several important sights which we did not get to see, such as the Museo Amparo and the Capilla del Rosario. The people we encountered were extremely welcoming and friendly and the well-preserved centro, especially on a Sunday, has an infectious energy.

Next: Tlaxcala
Mar 6th, 2019, 01:00 PM

annhig --

>>>Mexico is not anywhere on my bucket list<<<

You should revise your list.

EyeWAND --

Enjoying your report. We visited Puebla a while back, also Cholula, but did not make it to Tlaxcala. Looking forward to hearing your take. Can we forgive the Tlaxcalans for siding with Cortes?
Mar 6th, 2019, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

@Fra: possibly. The Aztecs used to beat up the Tlaxcalans pretty bad.
Mar 6th, 2019, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by EYWandBTV View Post

Then we walked to the Casa de Alfenique, the “Candy House”. This 18th century baroque mansion was built by a wealthy young aristocrats for his fiancee, who asked for a house made of candy. Alfenique is a traditional Mexican sweet, similar to marzipan. The house is an exuberant example of Mexican baroque (as opposed to restrained baroque?).

Next up: Cholula
As I said to my traveling companion on a trip that included Puebla and Cholula, "Ain't no Baroque like the Mexican Baroque!"

Mexico really kicked it up several notches and I am here for it. The museum, which I missed, looks right up my alley.

Great report, thank you.
Mar 7th, 2019, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Tlaxcala

We decided to spend a few extra bucks and treat ourselves to an Uber ride to Tlaxcala instead of going to the main Puebla bus station, CAPU, a huge thing on the far outskirts of the city. We easily found our hotel, the Casona de Cortes, which is just a five-minute walk to the zocalo.

Tlaxcala (population 15,000) is a great place to visit if you want to downshift from big cities like Puebla and the megacity which Mexico City. The centro is historic, beautiful, well preserved, clean, and prosperous. How many other adjectives can I add? We arrived early afternoon and stayed one night, leaving for Mexico City the following day in the early afternoon. This was plenty time for us to visit the two major attractions, the monastery of San Francisco and the zocalo area with its old, beautiful city hall, the ayuntamiento.

Tlaxcala is sometimes disrespected in commentaries because the Tlaxcalans helped Cortes conquer Tenochtitlan. I think this is unfair to these folks. We non-Mexicans tend to think of the Aztecs and the Maya as the only major indigenous peoples and we sometimes overlook the somewhat rude behavior of the Aztecs toward their neighbors (e.g., constant wars, conquest, wholesale slaughter of captives on the Templo Mayor in Tenochtitlan…those little details). The Tlaxcalans had been bearing the brunt of Aztec expansionism, so when Cortes arrived they decided to ally with him. This joint Spanish-Tlaxcalan force finally conquered Tenochtitlan in 1521, marking the collapse of the Aztec empire.

From the zocalo (the Plaza de la Constitucion), we walked to the adjacent Plaza Xicohtencatl (the main leader of the Tlaxcalans at the time of the arrival of the Spanish). From this pretty square we walked up the wide, tree-lined, cobblestoned path leading to the monastery, the Calzada de San Francisco.

The Ex-Convento de San Francisco is a wonderful historical site. It’s one of the oldest monasteries in the Americas, dating to the 1530s. Many elements show mudejar (Spanish-Moorish) influence, especially the complex wooden beamed ceiling of the church and the Moorish arches of the Capilla Abierta, the open chapel built for the indigenous Tlaxcalans (not permitted entry into the main church).

There is not much description of this complex on the web so I’ll go into some detail here. At the top of the Calzada you pass through three tall arches (the Paso de Ronda), flanked on the right by a bell tower, into the spacious open atrium. At the far right corner of the atrium is the capilla posa, a small fountain chapel. In colonial times in Mexico, religious processions used to stop at the posas for prayers. The standard atrium courtyard has three or four posas and is square. Here, the atrium is a trapezoid and has only one posa. The Franciscan San Gabriel monastery in Cholula, mentioned above, is big and rectangular and has three posas.

The atrium is cobblestoned with a number of mature trees. It is a lovely, peaceful place. To your left, on passing through the arches, is the main complex: the monastery and courtyard (now the very good Museo Regional de Tlaxcala) and the attached main church, the Catedral de Nuestra Senora de la Asuncion.

In the first few years of the Conquest, Tlaxcala was the capital of this region and the Spanish built this cathedral for the bishop. But soon they constructed a new city, from scratch, having no associations with the indigenous peoples or their capital; this city of course is Puebla. Once construction began on what became the huge cathedral of Puebla, the seat of the bishopric was moved from Tlaxcala to Puebla.

Construction of the Tlaxcala cathedral was begun in 1530 and most of the original structure is intact. The church contains several magnificent gilded altarpieces. All of the altarpieces are characterized by solomonic columns, a major element in colonial baroque architecture. These are the swirling, twirling columns, similar to the twisting columns of Bernini’s baldacchino in Saint Peters basilica in Rome.

The main altarpiece has nine oil paintings in large niches, arranged on four levels, separated by solomonic columns. The highest central painting, almost touching the ceiling, depicts the baptism of the four Lords of Tlaxcala, with Cortes and his indigenous wife, Malinche, looking on, with the crucified Christ above them all.

The nave, the original mudejar-style roof, and the main altar

At the very top of the main altarpiece, a painting depicting the baptism of the four Lords of Tlaxcala

Three chapels are attached to the right side of the central nave and one chapel to the left. The chapel on the right, closest to the main altar, is the Capilla de la Tercera Orden, the Chapel of the Third Order, one of the three divisions of the Franciscans. It is one of the dizzying, golden masterpieces of Mexican church art, crammed with detail, so complex that your vision blurs. This style was well described in the Puebla baroque museum, mentioned above; baroque designers, it was said, had a “horror vacui,” a dread of empty space. So they took pains to fill every inch with gold and statuary.

The main altar of the Capilla de la Tercera Orden

In this same chapel, on your left upon entering, is a large stone basin. A plaque above tells us that the four Lords of Tlaxcala were baptised in this basin in 1520, with Cortes and his lieutenants in attendance. Wow.

A note for history buffs: Richard Perry has an excellent blog covering colonial Mexican art and architecture, and I have drawn heavily from his research:

https://colonialmexico.blogspot.com/search?q=tlaxcala

Leaving the cathedral and crossing the atrium courtyard, you reach the top of the Capilla Abierta. Go down either of the staircases on the side and you reach the bottom courtyard and three Moorish-style arches framing the porch of the chapel. Services for the indigenous Tlaxcalans were held here, as well as in the church built elsewhere in the town by the Tlaxcalan nobles.

The Capilla Abierta

After this long, leisurely tour of the monastery, we sat a while in the atrium, just enjoying the quiet and the sense of history.

Next: a fraudulent dinner, a delicious breakfast, the Ayuntamiento, and departure for Mexico City
Mar 8th, 2019, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Onward and upward: from Tlaxcala to Mexico City

First, Tuesday evening, the fraudulent dinner at Evoka, in Apizaco: no need to repeat things, see beginning of TR.

Wednesday morning we decided not to breakfast at our hotel but instead walked a few minutes to the arcades bordering the zocalo and ate at the Jardin Plaza Restaurante. Delicious Mexican breakfast specialties, lots of locals, friendly staff. Here as elsewhere in Puebla and Tlaxcala and Cholula we noticed a custom which we had not really noticed elsewhere in Mexico: when people passed your table they said softly “provecho” as a kind of polite acknowledgement of your meal. Very nice.

The arcades bordering the Plaza de la Constitucion

Next, the beautiful city hall of Tlaxcala, the Palacio de Gobierno, or Ayuntamiento, on the Plaza de la Constitucion. We visited this Wednesday morning. This is a splendid building, begun in 1545 and expanded and patched up repeatedly since then.

The Palacio de Gobierno

The public spaces of two floors are covered with grand murals of the history of Tlaxcala by Desiderio Hernández Xochitiotzin. I must say that, for me, these equal many of the works of Diego Rivera, who sometimes sled into repetitive, lumbering, lumpy cliches. (But that’s just me.)

We then packed up and walked about 20 minutes to the bus station and caught an ATAH express bus to Mexico City, an easy trip of two hours to the big TAPO station in the norther part of the city, then an Uber to one of our favorite hotel/B&Bs anywhere, the Red Tree House.

Tlaxcala summary: this town is a great side trip from Mexico City or Puebla, especially if you like Mexican history and very early colonial architecture. We could have stayed two nights and enjoyed other things, such as the Pulqueria de Tia Yola (whose pulque is well known in these parts, it seems), a couple of small museums, and the sanctuary of Ocotlan, about a mile up a hill to the east. The Tlaxcalans are a happy bunch, always ready to greet visitors and help them find their way around town. I vote Yes for Tlaxcala!

Next: many lazy days in Mexico City
Mar 8th, 2019, 01:20 PM

Sounds well worth a visit. Thanks.
Mar 8th, 2019, 03:28 PM

Great pictures, and you are opening my eyes to a place that I would never have thought of visiting.

Thank you.
Mar 8th, 2019, 03:50 PM

>>>Great pictures, and you are opening my eyes to a place that I would never have thought of visiting. <<<

Mexico sometimes gets short shrift here, but it has an exotic, exciting and colorful culture, fascinating history and great food. I am not a fan of the beach towns, but the colonial cities in the mountains and Mexico City itself are wonderful destinations.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO