Reload this Page >

Visiting animals near Cuidad Quesada (San Carlos) Costa Rica

Old May 19th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.ticotimes.net/travel.htm

This is the link to an interesting article in yesterday's Tico Times. Many people are frequently looking for places to visit that offer tourists the opportunity to view animals in rehab or similar. This place is in the central valley area, fairly close to San Jose. It may be of interest to someone. . .
Old May 19th, 2007, 10:29 PM

That's a cool article, shillmac. It's pretty neat that they have been able to realease a couple of tapirs in the area. I would absolutely love to see one in the wild!

I so admire the dedication of people who devote their time and energy to caring for wild animals. Years ago, I worked with a lady who participated in raptor rehabilitation. I house-sat for her one weekend and had to feed the young barn owl she was caring for at the time. He was a beautiful little guy, but very cranky! Every time I opened the door to his crate to give him food, he would screech and fling himself on his back with his talons extended, letting me know that he would have no qualms about burying them in my flesh if I got too close to him! I believe they were able to eventually release him back into the wild.
Old May 20th, 2007, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Cam, Molly2 and her husband (she posts occasionally on the board) do similar work in Vermont. They are very active in all kinds of animal assistance programs. Last year they had to transport a red tailed hawk that had gotten caught in a trap. Rehab facilities in the area call on them as volunteers. It would be rewarding, and I think it is quite a contribution to our world.

I met her on Fodor's when planning a trip 4 years ago. It has been a very cool friendship, because through the board, we discovered we were to be at the same place at the same time in CR, and made arrangements to find one another. We did, and have been wonderful e-mail partners ever since.

For the husband's 50th birthday, his parents gave them an Earthwatch trip as a gift. Are you familiar? It's a volunteer vacation and you choose your location and your species. They are going to Africa in the fall to stalk lions and help take a census. Isn't that something!
Old May 20th, 2007, 12:40 PM

That is something indeed! Very cool!!

Africa is definitely on my wish list. I've heard of Earthwatch but don't know much about it. I'll have to do some research.

Are you all set for your New York weekend? Mine got changed at the last minute from Key West to Sanibel Island (off the gulf coast of South FL) due to a few logistical issues. It's all good, though. Sanibel is a very laid back, pretty place and relaxation is what I'm after!
Old May 20th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Original Poster

My brother and sister-in-law LOVE Sanibel (she especially) and have rented a condo for the next year. She leaves in a few weeks. He'll be back and forth, and she'll be mostly there. We'll probably visit them sometime, maybe in the fall, as I have an American Airlines companion ticket to use!

Do e-mail me when you get back.

Definitely NOT all set for New York. There have been some traumatic happenings today regarding one of our children (no need to go into it here), but I'll pull it together sometime this week (while wrapping up the school year at the same time!). I guess all I REALLY need to do is pack a few comfy clothes, grab my Fodor tips, and make sure I have a little plastic and a little cash! Thanks for asking. It will be a much needed break with my girls.
Old May 21st, 2007, 06:02 PM

Jill,

I sure do hope all is well with your family! Sounds like you'll definitely be ready for a nice girl's weekend. Enjoy!

We'll have to compare Memorial Weekend notes sometime next week. Happy trails!
Old May 21st, 2007, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

All WILL be well--one of the offspring just hit a pretty good bump in the road. It will be okay. NYC will be helpful! Thanks for your good wishes.
You have a nice trip as well--Florida should be very nice this time of year.
Old May 21st, 2007, 07:51 PM
Original Poster

Camille,
Do you remember the title of that post where we discussed all the New York options? I can't find it, and I gorget the original poster! I just remember she participated in the hijacking!

I need to print it out (thought I had, but guess I hadn't). Thanks!
Old May 21st, 2007, 07:51 PM
Original Poster

It's getting late--I FORGET the original poster!
Old May 23rd, 2007, 04:27 PM

Hi Jill,

Sorry for the tardy response. It's been a hectic week!

The post you are looking for was initiated by sparks_fly. Hopefully this link will work:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...6&tid=34996720

It was the one titled 'Cano Negro Tour?'

NYC is such a great place to visit. I hope you and your girls have a blast!
Old May 23rd, 2007, 05:35 PM

Another great place to visit animals in recovery...is the jaguar Sanctuary...in Canas...they have an incredible jaguar there so healthy and magnificient!! If you drive by Canas...stop there and the good news is !!FREE!! just a donation...

R.A Luis

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise!!
Old May 23rd, 2007, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Cam! Yes, that's right--Cano Negro Tour. I don't know why I couldn't remember that--nor could I find it in my haste the other evening!

Thanks for taking the time to help me out. We are down to the last 1 day of school with kids (tomorrow), and I have been running around like a chicken with its head cut off. It gets SO crazy this time of year. Lots of loose ends--I hate those things!

Roadadvisor, are you speaking of Las Pumas? We'll try to stop by there en route from Liberia to San Jose this summer. I keep hearing about it, so figure it must be worth a look-see! Thanks for the reminder!
Old May 23rd, 2007, 07:35 PM

I've always to go to Las Pumas. Jill if you go take me with you in spirit Or at least take lots of pics!
Old May 24th, 2007, 10:00 PM
Original Poster

I'll do both. I've already got your spirit packed for my June trip.