Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Villa Premiere In Puerto Vallarta closed for renovations

Old Aug 2nd, 2016, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Was planning to spend our 4 night vacation at the Villa Premiere hotel....now what???
I had my eye on this hotel for as long as I can remember. Now that we're finally going its closed for renovations
We love to be on a beautiful beach, love to be walking distance (or a easy bus ride away) from nice restaurants, coffee shops, etc. Don't want an AI. Would pay about $300 a night....
Looked at Villa del Palmar....but Im not thrilled that for the cost of the 2 bedroom suite $309 before taxes they don't guarantee an ocean view. They say many rooms are near the highway. Also, really weary of all the time share shark reviews. I am so not interested to spend my short vacation fending off time share people.
I also looked at a condo at the ICON, but am a little turned off by a few reviews that there might be bedbugs and that the ocean water is dirty since its so close to the marina.
Any insight into these issues ( maybe you can tell me otherwise!) or any other hotel or condo suggestions, would be SO welcomed!!
Thanks a ton!!!
Old Aug 2nd, 2016, 02:12 PM

Are you wanting to be in PV to walk around, etc? The beaches are much nicer north of PV in Nuevo. But if you want to be in PV, that won't work either. The great condos that I like in the zona romantic are nor true beachfront. The Molina de Agua, the Vista del Sol, Plazamar are across a walking path, but they are not across from a good beach. The Peninsula might work for you (in the hotel zone, further north from the Villa Premiere). The condos are very nice and the beach is just OK. Should be cheaper than the $300/nt. I think.
If you're interested in further north, there are many great properties for less than that. the condos at Dreams Villamagna are amazing and you can book the one you want (ocean view ) and are on an amazing beach. 10 min. cab ride to Bucerias or you can walk about an hour. The Villa del Palmar Flamingos has condos you can rent and they are much closer to Bucerias and you can pick if you want ocean view. I've been many times and like both areas.
Old Aug 2nd, 2016, 02:20 PM

If you are open to a condo my best suggestions are Vista del Sol or Plaza Mar with ocean views but not on the beach. They are in Zona Romantica. On the beach you could look at La Palapa, El Dorado, etc.
www.puerto-vallarta-rentals.com for PV Kid's website (a trusted local rental agent).

The ones you are mentioning are all in the Hotel Zone which is not my cup of tea. I much prefer Centro (downtown and Malecon) or Zona Romantica (south-of-the-river) parts of PV.

I hadn't heard about the Villa Premiere closure for renovations. Which surprises me because I'm on the TA PV forum daily. Maybe I'll get back over there and ask if anyone knows what's up??

South of town you could look at: Lindo Mar, Hyatt Ziva, Costa Sur, Casa Karma.
Old Aug 2nd, 2016, 02:32 PM

Not as fancy as you were originally looking at but The Tropicana is very nice, right on Playa Los Muertos, in Zona Romantica.
Old Aug 2nd, 2016, 02:46 PM

Suze, the VP is scheduled to be closed until about Sep. 22nd. A lot of very unhappy people as they did not announce it until about a month ago and continued to take reservations for that time period. It's unfortunate as it's a favorite, but it has left a bad taste with clients and agents due to the horrible communication and customer service after.
Old Aug 2nd, 2016, 03:32 PM

I'm just surprised people weren't b*tching about this over on Trip Advisor then.
Old Aug 2nd, 2016, 04:08 PM

Me too actually. Maybe because it's low season there aren't tonnes booked, but honestly, lots of people don't go on TA, so you don't hear much about it. Of almost all my clients, they do reviews and never even knew they had a forum. I think that's the difference.
Old Aug 2nd, 2016, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for such quick replies. Wow, this is tougher than I thought. I've been to los muertos beach and I felt it too busy and honestly, I just didn't like it. When we're on vacation, we spend the whole day at the beach, so the beach is really important.
I loved the idea of the VP being a little away from downtown to spend the day and then just a short taxi/bus ride into town every night for a stroll and dinner out.
I've stayed at Nuevo Vallarta years and years ago and the beach was great, but we missed having the town to go out to dinner and walk around.
I checked out some of the south recommendations, but none of them fit our needs for our family of 3 adults. I liked the Hyatt Ziva, but unfortunately its AI.
I will check out the Peninsula condo, but I'm more interested in the beach than the condo. so lets see.
Can anyone tell me anything good about Villa del Palmar (2 bedroom available) or the ICON condos, to help dispel any negative reviews I read. There are positive ones too, but I could use a little more positive feedback.
Old Aug 2nd, 2016, 05:04 PM

THe VDP has a great beach. One of the best IMO in PV proper. Close to lots of restaurants as well. Los Muertos doesn't do it for me either, too crazy and touristy. OK for a day, but not a holiday. Can't say for sure about ICON, but no complaints on Peninsula
Old Aug 2nd, 2016, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Maried11!! That's encouraging about the VDP beach. I'm keeping it on the short list. Can you say the same about the beach at the Peninsula?
Old Aug 2nd, 2016, 05:33 PM

Not as good unfortunately, but decent for in town. VDP sits on a great one. There is also the condos next door at the Sunscape (that is AI, but the condos are part of Sea River towers and they share a great beach so you wouldn't have to do AI there). I don't know about the condos though, I've only been in the hotel portion. the Peninsula would definitely be a step up, but the beach is better there. Hope that helps
Old Aug 3rd, 2016, 10:03 AM

I don't like the hotel zone myself, so can't help with those.

Here's a crazy idea but you just might like (it's way down past the busy part of Los Muertos and right on the beach... Quinta Maria Cortez:
http://villasinvallarta.com/room-list/qmc/

Or further south (not walking distance to town), Lindo Mar:
http://www.lindomarresort.com/
Old Aug 3rd, 2016, 10:32 AM

What about this one?

https://www.oyster.com/puerto-vallar...esort-and-spa/

They say it's about a 10 minute taxi ride from downtown. It looks quite nice.
Old Aug 3rd, 2016, 11:49 AM

The Garza Blanca is very nice on a rocky cove, nice beach in a beautiful area. However, there is no walking to anything and it is very expensive at the resort to eat, drink and if you want cheaper you must taxi/bus into town. About 15 mins by bus was what it took us. A little quicker in a taxi.
Old Aug 3rd, 2016, 12:38 PM

that seems like it might meet the OP's requirements:

"<We love to be on a beautiful beach, love to be walking distance (or a easy bus ride away) from nice restaurants, coffee shops, etc. Don't want an AI. Would pay about $300 a night...."
Old Aug 3rd, 2016, 12:44 PM

I agree about Garza Blanca being a great suggestion. They didn't ask for cheap eats & drink.
Old Aug 3rd, 2016, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again all! Quinta Maria Cortes is full for my dates, but I thought it was a great suggestion.
Garza Blanca looks beautiful too.....I'm a little afraid of the expensive lunches and no options to go elsewhere on that beach but I'm still putting it on the short list along with Villa del palmar. I plan to research a little more tomorrow and hopefully be able to make a decision.
Thanks again for all the help!!!
Old Aug 4th, 2016, 10:09 AM

Casa Karma down next to Lindo Mar is very nice, if you decide you don't mind being out of town a short distance.
Old Aug 4th, 2016, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again Suze. Unfortunately, they don't have any rooms that would accommodate us.
Im still considering Villa del Palmar. Has anyone stayed there recently who can offer some more insight as to the accommodations and how pushy are the time share people?
Old Aug 4th, 2016, 12:32 PM

Sorry, no. I'm never in that part of town.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO