Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Villa Mot-Mot (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/villa-mot-mot-450986/)

Kathy225 Nov 11th, 2008 01:42 PM

Villa Mot-Mot

Hello All,

I am looking for some opinions on villa mot-mot. We are looking to stay there for the 2nd half of our honeymoon. We originally had our minds set on the upper level, but now I am reconsidering the lower level. I just don't know if the upper level is worth the extra $100 per night (especially since we most likely won't even be using the kitchen). At the same time, I don't want to go with the cheaper room if it get bad reviews. Can anyone help me???

volcanogirl Nov 11th, 2008 03:01 PM

We haven't stayed there, but it gets good reviews.

shillmac Nov 11th, 2008 03:07 PM

We absolutely loved it. We stayed with our 3 year old granddaughter. The bed was a California king--huge. The bathtub was huge. The porch was nice, although no hammock. Table and chairs. We enjoyed the DVD's on rainy and restful aftenoons. We had a decent view of the ocean, and there were monkeys all over the place. The endangered squirrel monkey so up close and personal--I was thrilled to get such great photos. And the value was phenomenal. It was quite a bargain at $129 per night (this was in August).

Go for it! The private beach was perfect. We rarely ventured off the property, and didn't even go into the park this time around.

We peeked into Upper Mot Mot. There wasn't anything about it that made us think we'd made the wrong choice. If we'd had a couple of kids with us, perhaps.

Kathy225 Nov 11th, 2008 07:09 PM

Shillmac, thanks for the advice, I just needed to hear it from someone who had stayed there! It looks great and seems perfect for just two of us.

shillmac Nov 12th, 2008 09:22 AM

I think you'll find it just right. We definitely felt as if we were staying in a higher end place (but don't tell management!). LOL!

The sink area in the bathroom was small, that would be the only thing I can think of that might detract. No biggie to us.

Kathy225 Nov 12th, 2008 10:52 AM

shillmac - did you feel that the balacony area was sufficient, I mean clearly it is not nearly as large as the upper level nor does it have a hammock, but it does have nice views (sunsets and ocean), The up stairs balacony seems rather large for just two of us but I just want to make sure the lower balcony will suffice. Oh just one other question, was the air conditioning functioning properly, I heard that some people in March had their reservations cancelled due to a/c maintenance.

hipvirgochick Nov 12th, 2008 11:24 AM

Kathy -- That was me with the a/c issues (I'm travelicious on the TA board). I canceled my reservations because they were scheduled to do a/c maintenance AFTER my stay and I was worried it wouldn't be cool enough. I can be a wimp when it comes to heat and humidity. ;-) The maintenance was done in June I believe.

hipvirgochick Nov 12th, 2008 11:25 AM

Oh, I forgot. It was plumboy's reservations who they canceled because they needed to do maintenance. That was unfortunate.

Kathy225 Nov 12th, 2008 11:36 AM

Thanks for the clarification! I would be a wimp too about the heat, well hopefully it's fixed.

shillmac Nov 12th, 2008 01:41 PM

It is a fairly large balcony with table, chairs, and plenty of room to spare. Yes, there was an ocean view, but honestly can't remember sunsets as we would play really hard up until about 3:00, then crash with our granddaughter until about 6:00. I think it was usually dark when we got around for dinner.

I'm a big sunset fan, so it's weird that I don't know about that. I guess I was waiting for Flamingo Beach for sunset experiences, as that was coming up as our next stop. :)

AC was fine.

ShellD Nov 12th, 2008 02:50 PM

Kathy,

We were at the upper level Mot Mot while shillmac was in the lower level and didn't even know it! But we had great sunset views from the upper balcony. So, if the lower got good ocean views, I'm sure they good great sunset views as well!

We loved the mot mot, although it was the upper level, the entire property was great. Nothing beats having the private beach, since that is so hard to come by in that area! Their pool is very nice as well. And the monkey's really do come right up to your balcony!

Kathy225 Nov 12th, 2008 08:01 PM

Thanks everyone. I think we have decided to go with the lower level. I appreciate all the help, it was nice to talk with people who have been there!

SiteC_er Nov 13th, 2008 04:19 PM

Kathy,

You'll love the property. As noted above, the private beach is wonderful and the wildlife on property is just as good as what you'll see at Manuel Antonio Park / Beach. Enjoy!