Viewing Diego Rivera Murals in Mexico City

Oct 18th, 2003, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Viewing Diego Rivera Murals in Mexico City

I want to visit the Ministry of Education and the National Preparatory School to view the Diego Rivera murals. Does anyone know if these buildings are open to the public, and their approximate location in the City? Any websites that give information about the accessability of these murals would be appreciated. I've done a google search and can't seem to find the tourist-related information that I need.
Oct 19th, 2003, 09:51 AM

Try
http://www.frommers.com/destinations...1_indattr.html

and

www.diegorivera.com

Also, you should go to his & Frida's house in Coyoacan. It is $2 and I have been several times. There are many of their original works, works they have collected, clothing, furniture, etc. still set up as if they were still there. A marvelous place. Have a great time !
Oct 19th, 2003, 02:03 PM

Both are open to the public but you will have to check for the hours.
Also don't miss the murals by Rivera and Orozco at the National Palace and the Supreme Court building on the Zocolo. You will need a picture ID to get in.
More murals by Orozco, Rivera and Tamayo cover the walls of the Palacio Bellas Artes near the Parque Alameda.
Rivera's best work (IMHO) is located in the Museo Mural Diego Rivera. Also near the Alameda. His "Sueno" is a masterpiece. It is over 55 feet long and 13 feet high. I visit this museum every time we are in DF. I love that mural!
Oct 20th, 2003, 02:48 AM

The Ministry of Education building is located about 5 blocks north of the Zocalo - maybe a 10 minute walk. Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of the street. Since it is an office building, the couryards are open during regular work hours, and I think others (weekends) but am not sure.
Oct 20th, 2003, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your very helpful replies. Does anyone know where the National Preparatory School is located? I presume that it is located near the Zocalo, since it is an older building. I'm hoping to see the murals at the National Palace, the Ministry of Education and the National Preparatory School on the same day,if hopefully, they are geographically close to each other.