Search

VAT for apartments and hotels in BA?

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2007, 01:41 PM
mjs
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VAT for apartments and hotels in BA?

Does one pay VAT 21% for both apartment rentals and hotels?
Old May 28th, 2007, 01:48 PM

Only for hotels, I'd say, but wait for confirmation from posters who have rented apartments.
Old May 28th, 2007, 01:59 PM

AV knows what he is talking about.

There was no VAT on the apartment I rented.

Raquel

Old May 28th, 2007, 06:18 PM

I have never paid the VAT on apartment rentals.

Some hotels include VAT, while others do not. The more expensive the hotel the less the probability that tax is included in the price. Go figure...
Old May 29th, 2007, 03:12 AM

The hotels which include the VAT in their price usually say so. The hotels which do NOT include it, SHOULD say so, so look carefully to know what the final cost will be.
Old May 29th, 2007, 07:46 AM

The IVA/VAT was included at Hot Bobo.
None charged (at Hot Orley) in Santiago, CL paying in cash with USDs.
M
Old May 29th, 2007, 01:07 PM

Last fall when we stayed at the ArtSuites Hotel, the VAT was included in our room price.
Now we are renting an apartment (this apt is not one of the usual recommended temporary rentals, we got it through our realtor-so not sure about the more well-known rental companies) , we have to pay in US dollars- no VAT.
Old May 29th, 2007, 08:17 PM
mjs
Original Poster

Thanks for the information. Have tried emailing apartmentsba but I only get an answer of "we have many suitable apartments available for your visit"
Have not gotten any answers to my questions.
Reminds me of a novel I once read where the answer to life and everything was something like the number 26.
Old May 30th, 2007, 03:34 AM

As I posted in your other thread about laundry, to get any proper answers from apartmentsba you may need to contact the owner. That way, you should get more than "26" for an answer.

The owner of apartmentsba says in his website that he "had a horrible experience or got cheated almost every time with the local companies", but rest assured there are other reputable firms for short term rentals in Buenos Aires, besides his.

If you research this forum as well as the tripadvisor.com Argentina forum, you will find them.

Maybe the good Dr. Dawggy will tell us?

Old May 30th, 2007, 07:53 AM

I have never had a problem with apartment rentals in Buenos Aires, but my experiences are limited to www.arpartmentsba.com www.internetvacationzone.com and www.shortstayinba.com

www.bytargentina.com is a well established company that has a good reputation. I have never used them personally, but others speak highly of their service.

You can probably find negative reviews for just about any company that has rented a lot of apartments, because over time there are bound to be misunderstandings and problems...just as you will find an occasional dissatisfied customer for even the best hotel or restaurant. The trick is to find a service, hotel or restaurant that gets consistently good marks with only an occasional blemish.

Here is an example of a company that is generally well regarded but really managed to tick of this customer...
http://www.travelersdigest.com/reynolds_advisory.htm
http://www.travelersdigest.com/reynolds_advisory.htm
Old May 30th, 2007, 08:22 AM

Doc: did you realize that apartmentsba is a "Travelers Digest Choice" and prominently featured in that website?

Just a coincidence, OF COURSE.
Old May 30th, 2007, 09:47 AM

First, "prominently featured " is something of an overstatement. Apartmentsba is not mentioned on the homepage of the site. A link is provided from another page, one of several hundred links to recommended providers from throughout the world.

Second, it is clear from the website and the warning that staff from Travelers Digest visited Buenos Aires in 2004 to evaluate the services of several short term apartment rental agencies. The result was a warning about the poor service they believe they recevied from one agency and the decision to recommend another based on positve experiences...so,no, there is no coincidence. Neither is there any evidence of a conspiracy to promote one business by unfairly critcizing the competition. This appears to be a straightforward attempt to compare services and make recommendations to users of the website.

Third, while Reynolds Property does enjoy a generally good reputation are the facts reported by Traveler's Digest in dispute? That is, do they charge both the rentor and the owner a 15% commission, or 30% total?

I looked at an apartment to rent on Juncal back before I leased from an owner on Libertad. The same apartment was listed on the Reynolds website for considerably more (I don't recall whether it was exactly 15%), and did not include the 15% commission I would have been required to pay if I had leased through them. My point is not to say whether a 30% commission is fair or not...traveler's digest obviously thought so...I am simply asking if the facts as reported in the warning are accurate or not? From the one experience I mentioned above, what Traveler's Digest reported is very plausible...at least in terms of commission...I cannot comment on quality of service.
Old May 30th, 2007, 10:57 AM

First:

Excuse me, Doc, I should have said "apartmentsba is a 'Travelers Digest Choice' and is prominently featured in the BUENOS AIRES page of that website".

See: http://www.travelersdigest.com/buenos_aires.htm

Second:

Apartmentsba advertises with Travelers Digest. You may think they are NOT biased in their "attempt to compare services and make recommendations to users of the website." Great, that is YOUR opinion!

I believe they possibly ARE biased and that is MY opinion, to which I'm obviously entitled, just as you are.

Third:

About whether or not the "facts reported by Traveler's Digest" are true or not, I simply don't know.

One thing I DO know is that in the local real estate business you ALWAYS advertise for a higher price than the one you are willing to settle for and THAT could certainly be a possible explanation for the "facts reported by Traveler's Digest".

Arguing with you, Doc, makes me feel like the old times are back! LOL!!

BTW, you mispelled the link to apartmentsba. Somebody won't be happy about that!! ROTFLMAO!!!
Old May 30th, 2007, 10:59 AM

It should be "misspelled", not "mispelled". LOL!
Old May 30th, 2007, 12:22 PM

I look forward to arguing with you in person the next time I am in Buenos Aires. And when I need to rent or buy an apartment I will be happy to use Reynolds Properties and tell them you said I should offer less than the advertized price. lol
Old May 30th, 2007, 01:03 PM

Doc, I almost corrected your "advertized", but my dictionary said: Careful! It is also spelled that way! LOL!!
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 11:41 AM
mjs
Original Poster

Did not mean to cause a despute! Pondering staying in a 2-3 bedroom apartment in the Recoleta vs Sofitel Arroyo or Caesar Park. Many boutiques closed June 17 to 23.
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 02:51 PM

No dispute. Just a little kidding among friends, mjs. LOL!!
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 03:35 AM

Nice choices--the Sofitel is an excellent hotel. The Caesar Park enjoys a superb location, directly across the street from Patio Bullrich.

I stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment in Recoleta on my last trip to Buenos Aires in March. The apartment was at the corner of Callao/Juncal near some great restaurants and shopping up and down Santa Fe. Los Galgos --The building itself caters to non-residents who want an apartment to stay in while visiting...and to rent out when they are not around.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 05:49 PM
mjs
Original Poster

Leaning towards the Sofitel as it seems to get more positive feedback than Cesar Park. Am not getting much response from apartments ba.to my questions.
May need to spend the night elsewhere on our way through BA to Salta. Any thoughts about Monsserat and hotel Cayetana?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -