Valladolid/ Flamingos in Rio Lagartos

Old Oct 3rd, 2015, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Valladolid/ Flamingos in Rio Lagartos

We are going to Valladolid in several weeks. Has anyone been to Rio Lagartos with MexigoTours or a tour straight from Rio Lagartos to see the flamingos? Would appreciate any thoughts you had about your experience or the best way to go.
Old Oct 3rd, 2015, 04:12 PM

Valladolid is one of our favorite places in the Yucatan.
We traveled with a rental car and just drove to see the flamingos.
Old Oct 3rd, 2015, 07:11 PM
kja

I, too, loved Valladolid!

Are large numbers of flamingos expected to be in Rio Lagartos in the near future? I thought the main flock would still be in Celestun at this time of year. My understanding -- which could easily be mistaken -- is that the vast majority of the flock stay in Celestun until sometime in April, when the majority of nesting birds move to Rio Lagartos; they return to Celustun, I believe, in or around October.
Old Oct 6th, 2015, 08:34 AM

Rio Lagartos is a fun trip that you can book from anywhere with a group or on the site itself. We were there at the end of March and did get to see flamingos but were not close enough to appreciate. We did however enjoy floating in the salty water and further on got to cover ourselves with a thick mud , the girls really enjoyed that.

As for Valladolid, we have been on several occasions and really enjoy staying at the El MESON DE MARQUIS which is situated right on the main square. You absolutely must have breakfast or diner in the courtyard of this hotel... it is just sooo beautiful. You can also visit several cenotes (right in the city) and do some shopping. It is a nice little city that justifies a stay over for one or maybe two nights and then move on to see the ruins or hopefully Merida which is the very best of the best, especially on a week end...