Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Valentin Imperial Maya - the best AO / AI? Other suggestions? ... (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/valentin-imperial-maya-the-best-ao-ai-other-suggestions-838815/)

BeachBum123 May 5th, 2010 07:12 AM

Valentin Imperial Maya - the best AO / AI? Other suggestions? ...

Planning a trip for two for Dec. '10 or Feb. '11. Looking to keep the budget to $3k for a r or 5 night stay, roughly. Will be doing an AI as we enjoy relaxing with drinks and are considering an adults-only place as they seem to have a bit more luxury and the atmosphere we're looking for.

We really liked what we saw when researching the Valentin Imperial Maya @ Playa del Secreto and would appreciate any comparisons to other locations. We're not necessarily set on Riviera Maya, but Mexico seemed to have a good bang for the buck. We're looking for a location with interesting excursions nearby, a nice variety of restaurants/bars on the resort, and a nice beach.

Any suggestions or insight (including creative drink ideas to order) would be much appreciated. Thanks!

schmerl May 5th, 2010 01:04 PM

If you are looking for really nice beach with clear water, you may want to look elsewhere.
Check into Secrets Maroma, Iberostar Grand, Royal Playa del Carmen, and Catalonia Royal Tulum.
They are all adults only all inclusive resorts on Mexico's Riviera Maya.

ShellD May 7th, 2010 11:14 AM

Valentin Imperial Maya was very nice. We were there shortly after they opened, so about 2 years ago I think? The food was good and the rooms were very nice. They have nice pools and the resort is big, but not too big. They do have carts you can have shuttle you if you don't want to walk from your room to the lobby or restaurants if you want, but we didn't think it was needed. From what I remember of the beach, it was a good size. We're more of pool people though. I like being able to walk along the beach and being near the ocean, but I prefer to stay at resorts with nice pools.

Other adults only AI's we've stayed at in in Riviera Maya are Excellence and Adventura Spa Palace. I'd probably say Excellence was nicer than Valentin, but it's more expensive as well. I think Valentin's beach was nicer though. Adventura Spa Palace is very large and doesn't really have a beach, only a man made lagoon type thing. But with the Palace resorts you do get a few nice excursions as part of your package price. Their food is good and you have use of all of the Palace resorts, so you could go into Cancun and use the beach at one of the Palace resorts if you'd want. Or we spent the day at Xpu Ha Palace and went to the beach and kayaked there etc.

Personally, I don't think you'd be disappointed with any of the Adult AI's in the Riviera Maya. It's a great area with so much to do. I'd go with what you feel fits you and where you can get a good deal.

Have fun!

BeachBum123 May 12th, 2010 07:46 AM

Thanks ShellD, glad to know that it will be hard to go wrong!

emd3 May 16th, 2010 11:49 AM

Look at Grand Vela on the Riviera Maya.

schmerl May 16th, 2010 02:20 PM

Grand Velas is wonderful, but is not adults only and certainly isn't easy on the budget.