Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Vacation/traveler's health insurance?? Anyone know anything about this?

Mar 24th, 2004, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Hello! Going to Playa del Carmen in one month. Someone I was talking to recommended that I get travel/vacation health insurance so that if I become ill/injured while on vaca I can be airlifted to a US hospital instead of going to a Mexico hospital. Anyone know anything about this and where I can get it?
Thanks!
Mar 24th, 2004, 09:36 AM

First find out if your current insurance, if you have it, will cover you in Mexico. If not it would be wise to buy a travel health insurance policy. As far as air evacuation you need to think about your personal risk, age, etc. Often, if the condition can be treated where you are, the companies will not do an air evacuation. Travelguard International can be found on the web which is one of the companies which sells this kind of insurance.
Mar 24th, 2004, 09:59 AM
Sunnyboy

Check out www.insuremytrip.com for a comprehensive lisiting of all type of trip insurance including medical evacuation coverage (there are several different types of policies available).

Mar 24th, 2004, 02:32 PM

Hola from Puerto Vallarta...I work for an air and ground ambulance company in a good hospital. BUY THE TRAVEL INSURANCE. I have seen people saved from financial ruin because they have paid the extra money for the travelers insurance. MOST "regular" insurance companies (your ones at home)are not accepted as payment for hospital, ambulance, etc stays. MOST travelers insurances are.
Mar 25th, 2004, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Wow, thanks all and especially pmt15. I'll be checking out those websites now... Not that I am planning to get sick or anything, but it seems like a long climb up Chichen Itza and just in case... Thanks again, muchas gracias!
Mar 25th, 2004, 06:53 PM

There are a number of types of insurance. If you want trip cancellation insurance to cover all your expenses, it can get fairly high.

Insurance that covers medical and med evacuation (to take you to a US hospital) is a good choice and not too pricey.

Deb
Mar 26th, 2004, 04:05 AM

NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT. Try Travel Guard and Access America..it goes according to your age.