Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Vacation ideas for Mexico? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/vacation-ideas-for-mexico-400086/)

lramirez2000 Feb 16th, 2004 04:50 PM

Vacation ideas for Mexico?

My sig other and I and his two teens are planning a trip April 10-17. I will die of boredom just lounging on a beach for 7 days. I am hoping for some ideas on a combo vacation that includes a 2-3d beach stay for the teens and a 3-4d visit to an interior city for us 30-40 yr olds. Oaxaca and Cuernavacas look interesting- but do not appear close (3 hour drive or less)to any beaches. Any suggestions? Gracias por todo!

Percy Feb 16th, 2004 07:08 PM

Hi
You could go to Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo and do the beach/shopping thing in Ixtapa and then the escape to the town of Zihuatanejo which is about 5 miles away.

Then if you want you can take a nice all day tours to Acapulco, which is 150 miles away.
There are many day tours ,no matter where you go,whether it be Canacun, Puerto Vallarta, Acapulco,Mazatlan , Manzanillo etc.
Each place has its unique character and tours.
Percy

lramirez2000 Feb 17th, 2004 01:01 PM

Thanks very much. I will definitely look into it. I hadn't considered Ixtapa b/c I thought it might be too sleepy for the teens.

Any other suggestions out there?

resipsaloquitur Feb 17th, 2004 02:39 PM

Really, the Yucatan Peninsula seems tailor-made for your requirements. Very easy to fly to Cancun Airport from the US. Put in the beach time at Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Isla Mujeres, or any of the Riviera Maya AI resorts in-between. The beaches of the Mexican Caribbean are gorgeous - the Pacific Mexican beahces simply don't compare. Before or after the beach, rent a car and explore everything else the Yucatan has to offer (from Mayan ruins like Chichen Itza, Uxmal, Tulum, Coba, etc...) to pleasant, historic colonial towns (Merida, Valladolid) to natural features (jungles, cenotes). Driving in the Yucatan is easy, and nothing is too far apart (3 hours from Cancun to Chichen Itza, 1 hour or so from Merida to Uxmal, 30-40 minutes from PDC to to Tulum, etc...)

The only possible downside is that your April travel dates might overlap with some of the spring-break madness in Cancun, but probably there won't be so many drunken college kids in PDC or the AI resorts.

suze Feb 17th, 2004 07:21 PM

Puerto Vallarta and north and/or south along the coast? Lovely!

Be aware of Easter week in any seaside Mexican destination, as families from inland places may go to the beaches on holiday.

lramirez2000 Feb 18th, 2004 05:54 AM

Thanks to all- I now have some better ideas and will start planning the trip. I promise to give a post-trip update, in case other people have similar vacation plans.

Rugosan Feb 22nd, 2004 12:31 PM

Our family favorite is a trip to Oaxaca. There is a lot to do and see there. Just check with your hotel about guided tours. Take a flight to Puerto Escondido so your teens can get the beach scene out of their system.

Another possibility is Mexico City for 2 to 3 days, taking a bus trip to charming Taxco famous for its silver, and from there to
Acapulco for your teens to enjoy the beach. I must admit, I've never gone on to Acapulco, but I might on a future trip.