Urgent help needed-must ticket today!

Old Mar 7th, 2004, 02:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Urgent help needed-must ticket today!

Unfortunately, I got not response yesterday so will re-plead for help today!
Hi! Traveling to Antarctica [my 7th continent] & would like to ask for some kind advisemment, pls. Have read at length on the forums about radio taxis, no jewelry or cameras. I am a single woman traveling alone & have Scandinavian coloring so there is no way to blend in. Do not speak their language but have enough language skills that I can usually translate written word somewhat & willing to learn. Would like to stop in Rio for a couple of days-see the sites staying in the "touristy areas" & be in hotel by dark. Would it be safe to go to the Parque National da Tijuca? Also would appreciate a safe lodging recommendation-with charm would be nice but safety is the most important consideration.
Also, am considering breaking the long haul home from Ushuaia with a stop in Sao Paulo. From what I read, there is not a lot to see. I would appreciate hotel recommendations there as well. Perhaps a hotel in the airport vicinity?
As you can see, I am not new to travel but am second thinking my stopovers from the safety aspect. Also looking at a stop in Buenos Aires & seeing the falls but with post that on the other board.
Thx again fodorites for you kind help!

Old Mar 7th, 2004, 04:16 AM

I would say Rio, or at least the parts you're likely to stay in, seemed like as safe a city as many other big Westernized Cities I've been to. I don't understand why you feel the need to be in you room "by dark" You will miss a ton of things to see, primarily interaction with people if you keep your crazy "by dark" schedule. I really couldn't imagine travelling anywhere if I thought I "had to be in by dark"
Old Mar 7th, 2004, 04:37 AM

For a hotel in Rio try the Ipanema Plaza, very nice about $120 a day if that is in your budget. If not there are other options but if you want to know more than give more info like what is your hotel budget.
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 01:58 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 08:58 AM

I would skip Sao Paulo. Its too Metropolis. No offense. I also no hotels can be expensive. RIo is the way to go. There are much cheaper and nicer places to stay for under $100 dollars. I would definately venture out to the tourist sites. They are not to be missed. Or if you want to relax go to Posto 8 in Impanema. Or 7 the water is not rough and the beach atmposphere is great. THere is a really cheap and decent clean hotel in impanema on Visconte Piraja and Venicous de Moraes. But I forgot the name of it. It two blocks from the beach and the rates are about $60.