Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page > Update: El Frijol Feliz cooking school in Antigua, Guatemala
Notices

Update: El Frijol Feliz cooking school in Antigua, Guatemala

May 20th, 2011, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

Update: El Frijol Feliz cooking school in Antigua, Guatemala

It had been posted on the Trip Advisor forum recently that El Frijol Feliz was closed. I just learned that they're reopening in a week or 2 after a move brought on because they were stuck in the middle of some sort of an inheritance battle at the old location. Here's a quote from the email I just received from the owner, Jean Paul:

"The new location is Cafe Flor I bought recently because the restaurant needed to be turned around. The food was mediocre at best. It was serendipitous, considering the complete nightmare with the other location. So now the new location (1/2 block from the park), after the remodeling, will be "JP's RumBar and Cafe Flor," featuring classic New Orleans food (where I'm from), intimate live music, and Cafe Flor Thai food (all new and improved dishes). Additionally, Frijol Feliz will operate there as well."

There you go! We plan to take the sauces class when we're in the area this summer.
New address for Frijol Feliz and JP's RumBar is 4a Ave. Sur #1
May 27th, 2011, 01:24 PM

Good to know they are back in operation. Hopefully if I return I will be able to take a class.
I did really love the cooking class I took through Don Quiote Cruisers. It was in a womans home and very professional and fun. On my last trip I took a trip to a organic farm. So interesting and we got to sample many wonderful berries and also probably one of the best salads I have ever had.
May 27th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

I've really loved the cooking classes I've had over the years in Honduras, Guatemala, and México. My husband hasn't done that before so we're looking forward to doing that together this summer. He's never taken salsa lessons, either. ;-)

Search this Thread