Undertows off Cozumel shores?

Jun 13th, 2003, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Undertows off Cozumel shores?

Hello travelers! We will be staying on Cozumel Island this September. Are there likely to be undertows on the west side of the island where the reefs are during this season? We're hoping to swim out to some of the reefs from shore.---I once got caught in an undertow off a public beach in Acapulco. After three sandy water twirls(complete disorientation!) and three trys to make it to shore, a lifeguard finally came out to grab my arm and pull me in. The undertow kept grabbing me at knee deep when I was almost to shore. A very frightful experience! I know now to swim horizontally with the shore line until I'm out of the undertow zone.--So....any responses from you about Cozumel's west shoreline?
Jun 13th, 2003, 12:21 PM
TC

No undertow on the west side. You will want to check the currents. They can be quite strong at times and will change direction from day to day, so just check it. If you snorkel at Dzul Ha, Playa Corona or other places that are popular, you'll have no trouble. Strong undertow on the uninhabited side of the island though, so althouogh the beaches there are beautiful I don't advise swimming.
Jun 13th, 2003, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your response, TC. I'm taking notes.

Search this Thread