Two weeks in Costa Rica. Do I need a translator?

Jan 25th, 2018, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Two weeks in Costa Rica. Do I need a translator?

Iím traveling to Costa Rica for a long holiday. Itís not going to be my first visit in the country. The first time I was there, I was attending a romance tour so I didnít really have that many problems during my stay. This time Iím going alone. The problem is that I have already forgotten about the very few Spanish words Iíve learned during my first trip.

I was wondering if I should get a private translator to stay with me during my whole stay. At least that person can also be my guide around, directions and all. Can anyone suggest an affordable agency where I can hire an interpreter? Would they charge per hour or per day? Iíll be staying for two weeks so it might hurt my budget a lot.

Any advice from you guys? Will really appreciate any response. Thank you so much.
Jan 25th, 2018, 05:39 PM

When we were in Costa Rica we had no problem even though we only speak English. Almost everyone we encountered spoke some English.

If you did get an interpreter you’ll find the charge by the day. If you want him/her to follow accompany you for the entire trip (assuming you are not staying in just the same city/town where your interpreter lives you’ll also have to pay for his/her room & board and transportation. It will cost you a lot.
Jan 26th, 2018, 08:30 AM

I don't think a translator is really necessary if you're planning to go to primarily tourist areas. We've been all over the country, and English has been spoken everywhere that we've gone. The people that we've met were taught English in school.
Feb 17th, 2018, 03:34 PM

Been there twice and ready for return in April/May. Most locals we have met spoke enough English for us to get by. I would not add to budget in regards to handling translations. Maybe brush up on a few basic phrases.