Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Two weeks in Argentina with kids---need advice! (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/two-weeks-in-argentina-with-kids-need-advice-743400/)

mdo Oct 17th, 2007 12:52 PM

Two weeks in Argentina with kids---need advice!

I 've used this forum to plan some great trips in the past--so I'm once again seeking your advice for a trip to Argentina.

We are taking our 7-year-old twin boys for two weeks in later March. We have our flight to BA booked, but that's it. I would love suggestions about where to go and stay with kids.

Things that have worked well for us in the past: staying in apartments (or rooms with kitchenttes); farm stays (or estancias); staying in places for several days and taking day trips from there (rather than moving around too much); anything with animals and open space!

I know that Argentina is a huge country and getting around is all by air in and out of BA. I want to maximize our time without chopping it up too much.

How many destinations is realistic? Know of any great kid-friendly apart hotels in BA? (or anywhere) How about great estancias where we could stay for a few days? Best destination for wildlife viewing?

I would welcome any and all suggestions. Thanks much!

avrooster Oct 17th, 2007 01:19 PM

I'd say a few days in BA in an apartment in Palermo, where you will be close to our Zoo and to our version of NY's Central Park. Check out http://www.temaiken.com.ar/intro.html for a day trip out of town.
Then, if you believe all of you would enjoy horse riding, check out http://tinyurl.com/3xna57
Also consider going to 1) The Iguazú Falls or 2) The Southern Lakes area or 3) Our Northwest (Salta). Choose one or max two. You cannot do all three.
Have a great time in our country with your kids.

Graziella5b Oct 19th, 2007 12:18 AM

Hi, Regi' suggests Temaiken (Zoo) which indeed is a very nice modern Zoo. This Zoo is aprox. 45 minutes by car from Buenos Aires, on the other hand the Zoo locted in Palermo mentioned by avrooster is the "old", conventinal zoo of the city. I thought it was a good idea to clarify this. I believe that taking the train de la costa to Tigre might be a good idea. I believe there is an amusement park at the end of this short train line.

mdo Oct 21st, 2007 08:29 AM

Thanks for all the tips so far.

We are using Cintia from WOWArgentina to help us (per recommendations on this forum). She has laid out a tentative itinerary for us based on my wish list of places I wanted to visit. Now I'm thinking it might be too much---esp. with kids.

Here it is:
BA--4 days
El Calafate--3 days
Bariloche--4 days
Salta--3days
BA--1 day (fly out that night)

I think I need to cut one of these out. Any suggestions?

I'd love to see the awe-inspiring moutains and glaciers---and wildlife--of Patagonia, but am concerned about travel time and distance.

Which is a better destination with kids in early April---El Calafate or Salta? (I know they're very different--I just don't think we can do both. Or do you have any other suggestions?

I'm realizing we're going to need to return a few times to even scratch the surface of Argentina. :) We just want to get a taste without going at a frenetic pace.

Thanks much.

owlwoman Oct 22nd, 2007 06:29 AM

It's a tough decision, have not been to El Calafate yet, but did see the glaciers in Torres del Paine/Chili, they are magnificent. It will be cold there in April. That being said, if you wish a milder climate, than Salta will be better...but then again, that's focused more on wineries and Inca history, more sightseeing from a car. If you go down to to El Calafate, which is also closer to Bariloche), then you can take the boat tour to the glaciers.

I don't see Iguazu Falls on your itinerary, that would be one of my first choices w/kids, lots of places to run around, very self-contained with amazing scenery.

So, with that being said:
BA 4 days
Iguazu - 2 days (2 nights)
Salta - 3 days
Bariloche - 3 or 4 nights
BA

msteacher Oct 22nd, 2007 10:18 AM

I agree that Iguazu would be a great place to take kids. The rainforest is as spectacular as the falls themselves. When I was there a few years ago, I really enjoyed Hotel St George which had a wonderful pool, which I'm sure would be a hit with kids. However, I also sympathize with your dilemma... Atgentina has so much to offer, it's impossible to fit it all in in one trip!

skatedancer Oct 22nd, 2007 03:37 PM

I can give you ideas from my visit to the NW on what I think would be the most kid-friendly.

You might look into staying at El Bordo de Las Lanzas (I haven't stayed there, but it looks great from its website and from trip reports on TripAdvisor). I think they would take you on excursions from there.

My impression of tourist spots in NW that would be good for kids would be: Purmamarca, especially walk in the hills behind the town; we loved it, and I think kids would have a great time running around what looks like a multi-colored moonscape.

Tilcara has Inca ruins high on a plateau, and again the kids might have fun exploring that area; part of the ruins are left as they were found, and parts have been recreated.

Along the road to Cafayate are several rock formations where you can get out and go into; one is a natural amphiteatre and another one are rock faces you climb up (I think this would be okay for 7 yo). Also, the various rock formations along the road resemble things, too, so it is fun spotting these.

I am pretty certain you could do these as day trips from the estancia I mentioned, or you could probably find another estancia in the area. You would be spending alot of time in the car, though.