Turtle Race Costa Rica to the Galapagos

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2007, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband was finally able to catch up on his light reading so this is a little late but there is still time to check it out and have a little fun.

Found in Science magazine Vol 316 13 April 2007

Close to 95% of leatherback turtles in the Pacific have disappeared in the past 2 decades. The Costa Rica population has decreased to fewer than 100.

To raise support for the critically endangered beasts, several conservation organizations have created The Great Turtle Race. From April 16-April 29 11 turtles will be tracked as they migrate from their nesting areas in Costa Rica to south of the Galapagos Islands. The racers are equipped with satellite tags so their locations can be tracked online. The data will provide a nearly real-time, turtle's-eye perspective on the ocean including measurements of water temperature and depth.

To pick your turtle, visit
GreatTurtleRace.com
http://greatturtlerace.com/

Have fun!
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

I was initially going to cheer on Stephanie Coburtle just because it is funny that he is sponsoring a turtle (and mentioned it on his show!)but Saphira won out and she is my choice for the win!
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 03:28 PM

Hi Suzie!!

Thank you for the information on the turtle race. We are having fun exploring the website and will keep tabs on our favorites.
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 07:49 PM

I decided to pull for Billie but after I picked her found out she was in 1st place. I usually pick the underdog! And what is exactly going on with the last 2? They seemed pointed at Managua and are going by land? lol
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 08:25 PM

LOL! Saphira is my pick as well. My entire class is tracking the turtles.

We've also spent an afternoon watching a Jeff Korwin video on Costa Rica that I downloaded from United Streaming. He is filmed in La Selva picking up a fer-de-lance, Central American Bushmaster, poison dart frogs at Manuel Antonio, and films a turtle laying eggs at Ostional. It is a great film, and the kids enjoy his crazy humor.

In addition we watched Blue Butterfly, an independent (and true story) starring William Hurt. Those who enjoy Costa Rica would enjoy this film. Most of it was filmed in the Tortuguero area.

So it has been Costa Rica week (following state testing) in my classroom. Good thing about it is, so much can tie into science lessons the kids are learning. And I have a lot of photos to show them as well.

Thanks for mentioning The Great Turtle Race on Fodor's--it has been a lot of fun. I got a kick out of the turtle that seems to be heading more toward Columbia--haven't checked today to see if she is straightened out yet! Also, haven't looked to see if #10 and #11 have gotten off the beach and into the race yet. . .

For the teachers out there, the Great Turtle Race website also has a link to another website (can't remember the link now, but you can find it) that gives all kinds of educational information and lots of science lessons for classrooms to use.
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 02:47 PM

Looks like Billie & Stephanie are neck & neck. How cool is this to watch them day by day?

and from yesterday's email: "As for Drexelina and Sundae? They’re receiving fan mail from well-wishers worldwide for their valiant efforts to protect the coast. " lol
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

I have my DVR recording the Colbert Report so I can watch him. Stephanie definitely has a chance! She better watch out, Saphira and Windy are hot on her tail from the looks of it! Billie seems to be taking a more round about way-hmmmm a secret short cut?.

This has been fun and I am going to miss them when it is over .

Thanks for watching out for all the eggs Drexelina and Sundae. LOL Looks like they are facing in the right direction now and getting ready to take off. Hope we get to see it.

Old Apr 24th, 2007, 03:03 AM

The Blue Butterfly is indeed a true story, the "bug doctor" lives here in Montreal and is a very well known French Canadian. He's quite a character!
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 05:17 PM

How cool, faithie (where ya been, missed ya!). Yes, I've read about him. I'll bet he is a character. Loved the way his character and that of the little boy developed in the story and found such friendship in one another. My kids loved watching it (even though the first 2/3 is very slow) and were able to discuss all kids of "lessons learned". The photography of the bugs and insects is amazing. The person who first told me about the movie is my friend, Molly2, whom I first "met" on Fodor's and later at Savegre.

Okay, I've not checked in with las tortugas in a couple of days. . .off I go.