Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Trying to decide on a canopy tour- which was your favorite?

Notices

Old Jan 13th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are really looking forward to doing a canopy tour in Costa Rica but have no idea how to decide on one. We have decided to stay at El Silencio Lodge as an alternative to the Peace Lodge. El Silencio Lodge offers a canopy tour through Pozo Azul. We are also going to be staying in Manuel Antonio at the Parador. They offer two canopy tours: one is half a day (canopy safari) and one is 3 hours (canopy Titi). Does anyone have any opinions about these various options (which is the best)? Also, what should we be looking for when deciding on a canopy tour- I'm not sure if we should be looking for one with the most platforms or cables, etc. One offers a "tarzan swing," etc.

Sorry for all of the questions- we are very overwhelmed! Also, has anyone ever rappelled near the Bajos del Toro waterfall? El Silencio also offers that as an activity when visiting the waterfall.

Thanks very much!
Old Jan 13th, 2009, 07:14 PM

I haven't taken the others but I really loved Canopy Safari. Takes a good 30-45 minutes to get there but worth it. Very helpful and safety conscious guides and a great breakfast. They also had rappels that I wasn't expecting but sure did love.
Old Jan 13th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks tully- the canopy safari looks great.

I have been reading other posts that mention Sky Trek and I just checked out the website. It looks really exciting. I am not sure if it is feasible that we could do Sky Trek from El Silencio (in terms of distance), but if we could, I guess I should add that one to the list of options as well.

Thanks!
Old Jan 13th, 2009, 07:32 PM

We were supposed to do SkyTrek but we got rained out. We ended up doing the Original Canopy Tour in Monteverde instead. Ours also had rappels which was a surprise to us! That turned out to be our favorite part.

Things to look for: how many lines they have, how high, do you have to hike to get there, do they have rappels, how many people do they allow on a tour. Our tour only had 4 people on it, so we got a lot of individualized attention; they even wore our camera for the whole trip and took pics and videos of us. Some tours allow a number of people so you spend a lot of time waiting around on the platform for each person to take their turn.

SkyTrek has some of the longest, highest lines of all so it's a little more adventurous than some of the others.
Old Jan 14th, 2009, 04:05 AM

Yes, if you can thrown SkyTrek into the mix, then I'd consider that one as well. Very, very fun though when you finally see the first cable going off into the distance you're like oh no!!

SkyTrek & something like Canopy Safari are same idea but different. SkyTrek is very very high, you're above the trees, you go very fast and the lines are extremely long. You often will have Arenal to your side to look at, and the winds are much stronger so you will sway a little but.

At a zipline like Canopy Safari, you're much lower, going thru the trees and can usually see the platform you're heading to. Both have easy braking systems, I'm not a huge fan of the ones where you have to use a glove to break.

It's a little blurry but here's a video I have from SkyTrek, I had the guide do it for me as I was scared I'd drop my camera. (He whooped it up better than me anyway ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i05GRvhCmp0
Old Jan 14th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the helpful information. I think that Sky Trek sounds like the most exciting option. Does anyone know approx. how long it would take us to get there from El Silencio Lodge? I know that the lodge offers a day trip to Arenal, so I can't imagine that Sky Trek is prohibitively far away, but was hoping that someone on this board could confirm for me whether it can be done. Thanks!
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 07:12 AM

we did turu bari canopy tour and the zip line "superman". great facility. have hotel call and set up transportation from SJ.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Turubari
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 08:30 AM

I will be in the arenal area at the end of the month, and it sounds like I would enjoy this. However, my wife is scared of heights.Is there something she can do at these sites that will entertain her while I take the ride, or must she stay at the hotel? I know she would like to observe. Thanks to everyone.
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 08:52 AM

judge, you might look into SkyTrek in Arenal. They have a tram you can ride up. Seems to me that your wife could ride up with you and then just take the tram down. It doesn't seem like that would be scary to her.
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 10:25 AM

Volcano girl-Thanks for the advice.We will be staying at the Tabacon Springs.Is the Sky Trek within driving range ? My wife likes the look of the Sky Walk. Any experience with this? I looked at the web site, but these questions are not clearly answered for a dummy like me.I assume you can do both in one day?
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 10:41 AM

judge, I'm not familiar with a Sky Walk in Arenal. Is there one there? I was thinking it was in Monteverde, but doublecheck me. Sky Trek has multiple locations.

Old Jan 15th, 2009, 10:51 AM

judge, yes, Tabacon to Sky Trek should be no problem.

I just read that Sky Trek is starting to operate a nocturnal zip - wow, that would be crazy with the volcano going off.
Old Jan 16th, 2009, 08:53 AM

My husband & I took our third trip to CR last August; this time we took our adult children along. We went on the Sky Trek zip line and loved it! Dennis has been on three and he says it was the best he has done. We stayed at Arenal Manoa Hotel (very near El Silencio; in the string of hotels along the road to La Fortuna). The trip was not short to get to Sky Trek, but it's down a long very BUMPY road that will be a lengthy trip from almost any hotel in the area. Don't let the drive deter you! We had a fantastic time. I posted the video one of the guides took with my camera on YouTube under the title "Smileys on a zipline" if you're interested.

Enjoy your stay near Arenal. It's a fantastic place.

Debbie
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 02:45 PM

Do they let you take a day pack on the canopy tours? We are looking at Sky Trek.
Thanks
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 03:43 PM

They do ask that you leave your stuff behind, they will take care of it for you. Too easy for something to slip off and you'd never see it again.