Tropico Latino in Malpais (Saint Teresa)

Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tropico Latino in Malpais (Saint Teresa)

Has anyone stayed at Tropico Latino lodge in Saint Teresa recently? I've booked two nights there in February but it's gotten such mixed reviews more recently that I'm getting a little wary. We're driving out of our way to visit Malpais (going from Arenal and going back to SJO just two days later) so I'd like to avoid being disappointed.

Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 04:04 PM
surfersmom

Gosh, I hope that you are not dissappointed. We are staying there Jan 11/12/13 ... in the beachfront place .... as a treat. I did a bunch of research and chatting on these forums before booking and I think it is going to be good. Just to let you know, we (my daughter.. age 22 and I) land in SJ Jan 8 ... head to Mal Pais (driver taking us there) ... staying 3 nights at Mal Pais Surf Camp (man were they helpful), followed by 3 days at Tropico Latino, followed by 1 nt in Montezuma (El Jardin), water taxi to Jaco and then 2 wks in Hermosa (s of Jaco 10 mins). I for one am so stoked to see Mal Pais .... before it BOOMS into something I cannot afford. See this article ... http://www.naturelandings.com/articles.php?article=134
You are cutting it short a little, but I think that you won't regret this detour. Good luck

Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 05:22 PM

Sumi,We stayed at Tropico Latino this July and absolutely loved it.Great beach and surfing right out front, comfy hammocks and lounge chairs at the beach, very nice swimming pool with ocean view, good food, friendly people, roomy comfortable bungalows,lush vegetation with monkeys in the trees. It was perfect. I think you'll like it too. It's hard not to. The location is great. It's so nice to be right next to the beach. Most of the other places aren't so close and I think it makes a big difference.Have a great time!!!!
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 03:28 PM

I wanted to hold off until you heard from more recent travelers, but must say that we had a great time there in 2004. If I remember correctly, a couple of years ago there were some negative reviews about the cabinas. They aren't luxury affairs, but I gotta say that little beachfront (there's just one) cabina offered such a lovely view.

Someone asked recently about the garden cabinas, back by the road and behind the restaurant reception area. They looked neat and tidy also.

The nice thing about TL is its location. The food was decent, and overall it was just a relaxing place to stay. We weren't looking for 'luxe and were quite content there. We paid $90 per night (in March). I understand it is quite a bit pricier now, and probably too much so, but certainly that would reflect the increasing popularity of the area.

Go and have a great time! And post YOUR review when you get back. I'm anxious to see what you think of it!
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 04:11 PM

hola shillmac & surfersmom!

Where is Tropico, it's at the north end, isn't it? I'm staying at Moana but maybe I will wander down there 1 night to eat & check it out.
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your responses -- I think we're going to keep our reservations and try it out. I'll definitely post a review when we get back.

We have a garden bungalow booked (beachfront ones were all booked), are they significantly farther from the water? I think someone mentioned road noise and some security issues?

I'm not expecting luxury. I lived in the Caribbean for years so I'm used to bugs, lizards, and all that but I'm *not* used to having to worry about security.
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 03:50 PM
surfersmom

Hey Tully
It is at the north end of Mal Pais or the south end of Santa Theresa. There are good maps of the whole area at www.nicoyapeninsula.com ... I sort of pasted them together for my trip. The crossroads that you come in from Cabano (looking toward the Pacific), you turn right for about 1000 meters ... whereas Moana Lodge directions when you get to that same crossroads is about 2000 meters to the left. BTW, I am staying first at Mal Pais Surf Camp which is in the same direction as you only 500 meters from the crossroads. And Franks is right at the crossroads. As for price ... I pd for that little beachfront cabin ... $160 per night!! A little much I thought, but only 3 nights and I thought it would be such a treat to do with my 22 yr old daughter ... and the waves right there for surfing! I have heard really good things about Moana as well ... I'm sure we will both just love it. When do you go? I will be there Jan 8-14

Old Dec 5th, 2007, 04:14 PM

Hi Tully--been thinking about ya.

surfersmom is right on with the directions.

How are things in sunny FL?