Search

Trip to Mal Pais/ST

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2005, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip to Mal Pais/ST

Leaving for our honeymoon to CR in 2 weeks and we are very excited. We are staying at Florblanca for 10 days.
A couple of questions:
What is the best option to cary cash- Are traveler checks commonly accepted? What about ATM machines in the area? Or is it better to just convert a bundle of currency and take it with you?

We are looking for activities/excursions based out of Mal Pais. So far we have planned:
Horseback Riding (we love horses and would like to go on multiple trips, ive read that trips are offered on the beach and jungle)
Hiking in Cabo Blanca, Capullo National Park, and Curu National Park if possible
Canapy tours
Surfing
Trip to Tortuga Island

Anything else come to mind that we are missing?
Any other good hiking recommendations to see wildlife?

The Tortuga trip seems very popular and I read Pacific Divers is a good option to use out of Mal Pais They also offer trips to Punta Coyete and Cubuya Island. Has anyone been to these islands?

Any recommendations would be much appreciated .

Any ideas for what to expect for weather?
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 05:39 PM

We loved FlorBlanca! Very romantic. Did you ask for the best room--it is on the far side of the pool with a balcony right on the beach. Cannot remember the number, but it is the one they show on the web site.

if you go to Tortuga, be sure you know what kind of boat you are going on and how long it will take to get there. They fixed us up with a way too small boat that was miserable. Surfing is right in front of the hotel and also down the beach. I broke a bone in my foot the first day of our trip so I still wasn't hiking or moving around too well when we were in MalPais. We used drivers and taxis for trips. I think we used credit cards when possible and there are ATMs. We went in February so I don't know what weather you might expect. Have a great time.
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 08:01 AM

You'll love Mal Pais and (parts of ) Santa Teresa. The beaches in ST are fantastic and July/Aug should not be too crowded.
The Mal Pais canopy tour is great fun. Its located very close to the fishermen's village, near Sunset Reef Hotel, at the most southern end of Mal Pais.Their tel no is 640 0360/0091.

You should really try fishing on one of the "pangas" at the Fishemen's. The fishing while you will be here is very good and they are catching lots of Yellowfin, Wahoo and Red snapper. Also, when you go out you might see dolphins, turtles, manta rays etc. Its a wildlife fiesta! My advice would be to seek out a guy by the name of Emiliano. He speaks great english, is professional and in my opinion THE BEST! Try not to compromise. The best restaurant in Mal Pais is Mary's about 3.5 km going south from Frank's Place (where MP meets ST). You can play pool while you wait and the menu is always fresh and tasy with fish a speciality. The pizzas are awesome too!
What else...

A guy by the name of Jon Caballo (tel: 640 0007) does great horse tours. He's very friendly too.

Mal Pais Surf Camp has an "open mike" night on Wednesdays. Fun.

ATM's? There is one in the internet cafe at Franks Place. But...lot of the time it does not work, and they charge you 5% for withdrawals. But it saves you a trip to Cobano (20 mins ride away) where there is the only bank for miles, and sometimes for no explicable reason it might not like your Credit card.

Lastly, you will need to hire a 4x4 or a quad which can be done in MP/ST. (a Budget rent a car has just opened there!)

That's my 2 cents worth for now!
Any questions, just ask.
Enjoy!
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help !
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 07:38 PM

Miss Malpais: please tell me more about the fishing in Malpais. How much does it cost? How did you contact your captain? Where do you find the boats etc. Any other info you have would be appreciated.
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 04:00 PM

Can't wait to hear all about your trip when you return. Florablanca was one of our top choices when we went to CR last Feb. It was booked and we ended up going to Sugar Beach - Playa Pan de Azucar - which is also wonderful and I can't say enough great things about it. But, we hope to go to Florblanca this coming winter and would love a complete description plus which room you thought was best, best food, etc. Thanks so much, in advance. PS Have a great wedding and honeymoon. Congratulations and best wishes for many happy years together!