Search

best place for 2 to 3 months

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
best place for 2 to 3 months

Hi all,

As we get closer to retirement, we would like to find a place in Mexico to spend a couple of months in the winter. I am having a hard time choosing as they all have some pros and cons; I am hoping you all can help us!
We like vacations at Barra de Navidad or some like place but cant imagine spending a lot of time there. we love the old colonial cities such as Guanauto ( I may love it but I dont think I can spell it ) but dont know how cold it gets in Jan. Dont want a huge city but not a small town either; dont want a place swarming with tourists or enclaves such as San Miguel or Lake Chapala but dont want a place where no one speaks English.
Are we looking for the impossible?

appreciate any ideas you can provide. thanks

Pat
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 11:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Have you been to Oaxaca? That would be my first choice. It's a beautiful colonial city in its own right, with a famous cuisine. Their are major archaeological sites nearby, and indigenous villages in the area. Only problem would be deciding between the town proper, with its lively zocalo, or maybe a place in the hills outside.

We went in February and it was warm.
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 11:55 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I think you just need to continue to vacation in different spots until you find one that "speaks to you". I know I could definitely spend a few months in Puerto Vallarta myself, but realize it's not to everyone's taste.
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 11:59 AM

I spend 2 to 3 months in Zihuatanejo being a partner in a small Villa there. I love the slower pace, the people & relative low prices. In addition you are but 4 hours for the fabulous Colonial cities of Morelia, Patzcuaro & Uruapan. Also 4 hours from Acapulco. Unlike Meleque/Barra large grocery stores, Movie theaters, hospitals etc but not the mad rush of PV, Acapulco etc.
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 01:12 PM

maybe yo should try puerto escondido in Oaxaca or the city of Oaxaca, both are very beautiful. I live in Lerdo de Tejada in Veracruz and there´s a few places that you could visit like Tlacotalpan, Roca Partida, Monte Pío, Catemaco.
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 01:20 PM

I like Cuernavaca as it offers warm winter weather, but it is not too hot. It is close enough to Mexico City for easy access to international flights and any medical facilities you can't find in Cuernavaca. There is a smallish expat community in Cuernavaca, and they are quite helpful and friendly. Cuernavaca and surrounds has some of the best Spanish schools (Instituto Chac Mool), cooking schools (Villa Bonita) and spas (Mision del Sol) that Mexico has to offer.
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

thanks all for your replies. I had thought of Curnevaca but havent read many good things about it, just that its a big , dusty city.
Oaxaca might be a good choice, have been a long time ago and loved it.

Pat
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 09:49 AM

Have you though about Merida? Wonderful place(in the Yucatan) and close to Mayan ruins. It is a beautiful historical town.