Notices

Trip report - Osa & La Fortuna

Old Jul 9th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip report - Osa & La Fortuna

We just returned from Costa Rica and had yet another spectacular vacation. We started by flying Sansa to Puerto Jimenez and because Cabinas Jimenez was booked we stayed at Cabinas Marcelina which was wonderful. We took our daughters, age 24, for some hiking at Matapalo via collectivo. We saw 3 types of monkeys and all around  wonderful beaches and trails. We finally made our way to the Lookout Inn in Carate owned by Terry Conway and managed by a wonderful guy, Jeff. The food was wonderful and the accommodations great. The girls stayed in the Monkey Room and were visited by monkeys and a rogue scarlet macaw. The hiking was wonderful but the best part of the day was gathering at the beach at 3:30 beach fun.  I would highly recommend the Lookout Inn.After another few day stay in Puerto Jimenez we flew back to SJ via Nature Air and rented an SUV from TriColor. We drove up to La Fortuna which in my opinion is looking better than ever. Great new hotels and the restaurants are the best. We stayed in El Costillo at the Linda Vista Hotel which was again, perfect. We had the best views of the volcano and were treated to much lava flow and wildlife. From hiking to shopping to eating, a good time was had by all.Finally, we went back to San Jose and stayed at the Don Carlos which has many art galleries in the neighborhood. One of the best is Gallerie Namu, where the owner is well informed and very friendly. We also went to Casonas, a flea market style shopping place that is filled with bargins and some art. We even bought a beautiful machete in a leather case to try our hand at landscaping at home!!!One of the things that makes Costa Rica so magical are her people. The Tico people are the warmest and friendliest in the world. When it comes time to vacation planning again I have no doubt where we will end up.
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 02:28 PM

thanks for posting...
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 06:06 PM

How long was your trip? My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon and both La Fortuna and Osa look like they're going to be on our itinerary I've even looked at the Lookout Inn too! We're going for two weeks and may even try to fit something else in too...not sure if that makes sense...

Your trip sounds like it was wonderful!
Old Jul 18th, 2009, 05:41 AM

Sounds wonderful - the Osa and La Fortuna are two of our favorite spots. How's the machete working out?!
Old Jul 18th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Using the machete is clearly a skill! We should have purchased more as many local friends are jealous! Our trip was 10 days....never enough!
Since I've been back, I have been mentally planning my next trip and I want to stay at La Leona tent lodge, right outside of Corcovado OR rent a house in Matapalo. We haven't really explored Matapalo as much as we'd like to, it is gorgous!!
Also, I didn't mention that we once again went to the hot springs at Tabacon and there really isn't anything like it. I know what folks post about other hot spring sites but it really is top notch and absolutely beautiful. They also had a great special that included mud wraps AND entrance into the hot springs for $135. Well worth it. We left to have dinner in La Fortuna and went back to soak until they closed at 10pm.
Old Jul 18th, 2009, 01:36 PM

We saw the gardener at Fonda Vela yielding one. He looked like he was marching off to kill someone, but then he just started trimming the bushes. Definitely an acquired skill!