Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Trip Report: Maroma Report Riviera Maya Cancun (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/trip-report-maroma-report-riviera-maya-cancun-542588/)

ebeeson Jul 8th, 2005 08:46 AM

Trip Report: Maroma Report Riviera Maya Cancun

Just returned from Maroma Resort and Spa last week and will try to make a brief trip report.
My girlfriend and I wanted a really relaxing vacation, someplace with warm water, and no hassles. Maroma was perfect. Located about 30 minutes outside of Cancun on the Riviera Maya. The world's second largest reef is a few hundreds yards in front of the resort and snorkling trips are included in the price of the room. There is no need to ever leave the resort, though we went into Playa del Carmen to shop one afternoon. The food is very good, very traditional interior Mexican food. The ceviche was my favorite! The natural beauty of this resot is unbelievable. Please email me at [email protected] for pictures.

The resort is located on an ecological preserve and everything is produced locally. All fruits, all breads, even wonderful chocolates they leave in the room at turndown each night. The desserts after dinner were some of the best I've had. I especially loved their Crema Catalina.

There are a total of about 58 rooms. The resort was at 85% capacity and we barely saw another soul the entire time. It is extrememly private. The staff (who all live on the property) learned particulars about us so that all our needs were met without asking. Everyone knew our names and did not even have to ask for our room number. You never need a cent while there, everything is put on the room.

I have never relaxed so much in my life. The property is so picturesque, the beach is pristine, huge, private. The pools are very nice. The spa is on par with the best I have been to in NYC.

You can engage in every activity imaginable and the resort will arrange everything. We swam with the dolphins, snorkeled, went to the spa, and relaxed.

All that being said, it is very very expensive. You are definitely paying a premium for the service, but I can tell you I have never experienced that level of service and it was well worth it. This is the perfect place for honeymooners as there are no children allowed. And I found it perfect for me and my girlfriend because we didn't want a trip with guys ogling us or having to give a damn how we looked.

I asked what their best rooms were and was told number 56 (on the ocean), 38, 42, 23 and 9. We stayed in 46 and it had two beds with netting that was a neat touch. Our view from our terrace was really nice. I would likely get ocean view next time I go.

There is one villa on the property with its own pool and attendants. This is where Tom Cruise stayed recently and it is his second time to the property. Tony Blair has stayed there, too.

My girlfriend's favorite thing about the service? Every morning you open your door and there is a full coffee service just waiting for you!

Little_Man Jul 8th, 2005 10:51 AM

thanks for the lovely trip report. You definitely made me want to go :)!

MrsKiss Jul 8th, 2005 07:17 PM

Thank you for the report! I felt relaxed just reading it! :) We will check it out!

mimipam Jul 30th, 2005 11:34 AM

Hi ebeeson,
Sorry I did not see your question to me before your trip about the rooms. However I am so glad you had a great trip. We have stayed in partial ocean view rooms and have been pleased. I think Maroma is so nice and it is my husband's favorite. We have been three times. He would go as often as possible. You are right about the $$$$ though. Thank you for a great report. Hope you have many more happy travels.

mayamy Aug 6th, 2005 06:04 AM

We would like to update you on the current situation of Maroma Resort & Spa. Thankfully we did not sustain any substantial loss after hurricane Emily hit the Mayan Riviera almost two weeks ago. Even though there was quite a bit of damage to our beach and room palapas, Temazcal, and mostly to our beautiful gardens and landscaping.

What has always been of the utmost importance to us at Maroma is our guest’s comfort and well being. As such, there is no possible way for us to provide our clients the level of service they deserve and permit them to have a quiet time during the reconstruction process; and most importantly we did not want to put at risk their well being. For these reasons there was no other choice for us than to remain closed until repairs and storm cleanup has been completed.

As we were scheduled to close on August 21 for approximately eight weeks to complete an enhancement project, we will once again be ready to exceed guests’ expectations at our little paradise on the Mayan Riviera starting October 19th, 2005.

The exciting news is that when we re-open we will have:
A fantastic new chef who has an international background both in Europe and Asia, having not only won the coveted Michelin Star on several occasions but has also cooked for the stars;
A dynamic new bar area that will serve-up the renowned Maroma Margarita as well as feature one of the most expansive Tequila tastings in the area;
Our fully renovated signature restaurant El Sol including a terrace for al fresco dining; as well as our pool-side Cilantro restaurant specialized in spa cuisine;
A new Mayan- Themed SPA called Kinan offering a full range of spa services in unique environments ranging from treatment rooms with private gardens, open-air massage palapas and a rooftop yoga pavilion with 360-degree views of Maroma´s dual ecosystems – the jungle and the sea.
And, eight new suites that will re-define hand-made luxury and comfort. These oversized 1 bedroom oceanfront suites will feature separate living spaces both indoor and outdoor, their own massage room, fitness room and plunge pool.

We thank you for your continuous support and valued patronage. I will keep in touch to let you know of our renovation process, so that you can join us during this exciting moment where we will all be able to enjoy an even more beautiful Maroma.