Trip Report girls weekend at Royal Playa del Carmen!

Old May 20th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip Report girls weekend at Royal Playa del Carmen!

I will start by saying WOW! Playa del Carmen is an awesome town. I had no idea towns like that existed by the beaches in the Carribean or Mexico and I've been to MANY islands. It is like a european village. There are great restaurants, bars, shops, dance clubs, etc,. There are a few chain stores, but most are local and unique. We stayed at the Royal Playa del Carmen. The resort was a great value for the $. There were top shelf liquors, beautiful pools and the beach was great. The restaurants were very good and there is a good selection, but not what I would call gourmet (it's not Ruth's Chris, but you shouldn't expect that at an AI). It was great to have drinks flowing all day with an AI, but there were so many incredible restaurants in Playa that I don't know that I will stay at an AI next time (I want to try more local places). The staff at the Royal was friendly and wonderful. We gave tips often, but did not feel like we were expected to give them. We noticed than many people do not. If you are staying at a resort like this...What's an extra $50 over a few days? It will do more for them than you. It amazes me that they appologize for their english and we are in their country and their english is very good. I want to dig the Spanish out of the forgotten channels of my brain for the next trip. The location of the Royal is perfect. You walk out the doors and across the street is the famed 5th avenue. We felt very safe walking back and forth...even at the wee hours in the a.m. We spent 1 evening dancing at a salsa club till early in the morning. It was so amazing to watch everyone dance. They put everyone on Dancing with the stars to shame. There were only about 10 americans in the club, so it was a fun cultural experience. Deseo is a neat rooftop lounge on 5th. Coco Mayo...an outdoor dance club. FUN,FUN, FUN!!!! We are already planning to return to playa next year. After going there, I can't imagine going to a resort where I am trapped at the resort or need to take a taxi 1/2 hour to get to any type of town. This was like a backyard playground. I highly recommend Playa del Carmen and if you are looking for a very nice adults only AI, the Royal is perfect. It really is a nice resort. We used USA transfers to get to/from the resort. Their prices were private cars at the price of shared cars. Great service! The driver back to the airport took us around the Cancun hotel loop as we had extra time. After seeing that area...I have no need to go there. Playa is the place. I will be back!! Hope this is helpful to someone!
Old May 20th, 2007, 07:39 PM

Glad you had such a great time. The Royal is a beautiful resort. Playa is such a great town.
Old May 21st, 2007, 06:06 AM

Shhh! Playa doesn't need anymore visitors. :-> The jungle at the north end of town is rapidly turning into condos.
Old May 21st, 2007, 02:20 PM

I know...I have one.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

They are building, but it's nothing like most beach areas. There still are not any buildings over 3 or 4 floors. Lucky you colokid for having one of the condos. Do you rent it out? I may be interested next year as I want to experience more of the restaurants.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 05:25 PM

Yes, I do rent it out. It's two bedrooms/2 1/2 baths on the ground floor with living room/kitchen/laundry. The unit is 5 steps to the pool. The Mega is one block south so you don't need a car for grocery shopping and 5th ave is two blocks east. It's in a residential area and I just love it. Going back in 12 days. Woohoo!
Old May 24th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Send me some direct info at [email protected] if you don't mind. Is it on the beach? If not, what do you do for beach chairs,etc as they are a bit bulky to bring through. Mmmm I may have to rethink Playa in a year.....maybe sooner. I just loved it!!!!!
Old May 24th, 2007, 02:22 PM

I just sent you a bunch of info with pics.