Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Trip report: Cozumel and Riviera Maya (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/trip-report-cozumel-and-riviera-maya-591540/)

Keith Feb 15th, 2006 07:44 PM

Trip report: Cozumel and Riviera Maya

This section of Fodor's board doesn't seem to be into trip reports like the others, so I will keep this brief.

I'm back from a long weekend in Cozumel, with a side trip to Tulum and Coba. I didn't see any sign of damage in Playa or further south.

Cozumel is impacted, but San Miguel looks pretty good and most restaurants and shops are open. Many of the beach front hotels south of town will not be open for some time. Room rates and taxi fares are a bit cheaper than normal.

Even with the cruise ship docks damaged, there were still 5 ships in port the day I arrived.

The only thing I wanted to do, but could not because of hurricane damage, was visit Punta Sur. It should reopen in March.

Aside from the trip to the Mayan sites on the mainland, highlights of my trip include time on the Wild Side of the island (loved Coconuts), Atlantis submarine dive, and the presentation of the King & Queen of Carnival and their dancers in San Miguel's main plaza on Sunday night.

Thanks to the folks here on this board that recommended restaurants on the mainland! I had lunch at Mezzanine in Tulum and La Bodeguita del Medio in Playa. I liked both places, and might return to stay at Mezzanine on another trip.

My long, detailed trip report with over 150 photos including the Carnival dancers is at http://www.mightymac.org/06cozumel01.htm

Keith

Diana Feb 16th, 2006 04:27 AM

Hi Keith,

I'm glad you liked Mezzanine (I suggested it). We only got to go for lunch but loved the food and the atmosphere.

We thought of staying there also, but I heard the bar gets VERY crowded at night, and it can be a bit difficult to sleep.

One person who reviewed staying there said someone from the bar actually came up and looked in his room while he was trying to sleep! Ack.

I'm glad to hear Coz is recovering. We went there every year for many years and dearly love it, but the cruise ships became a bit overwhelming for us.

I'm going to go check out your pics now. I am sure they will bring back lots of memories! :)

Diana Feb 16th, 2006 04:51 AM

Yay! Great pics Keith! You did a LOT in a short time.

I also had the shrimp pad thai at Mezzanine and found it so amazing that I HAD to tell the chef. He very graciously came out to the table and seemed appreciative that I enjoyed it so much. All pad thai is now compared to that benchmark. Of course the view does not hurt either! :)

I was SO sad to see the photos of the Presidente on Cozumel. We have stayed at that hotel every year for 10 years, and it is horrible to see it in that state. I truly hope Intercontinental is working to re-open it. We have many friends who worked there... :(

Your photos of Carnival were wonderful. We spent many Sunday nights in San Miguel on the zocalo (square) but never made it to Coz this time of year for Carnival. Looks like you had a great time.

Punta Sur is very nice, but Sian Ka'an in the Tulum area is much better. If you get back to that region, I would highly recommend it.

Happy travels!

Little_Man Feb 16th, 2006 07:11 AM

thank you, Keith. I'm going to look at your pics now.

Little_Man Feb 16th, 2006 07:24 AM

should've withheld my comment til I looked at your pics! Just great pictures, definitely worth looking at! Thank you very much for sharing, and I hope you had a great time.

Keith Feb 16th, 2006 07:37 PM

Thank you both for the kind words, and thank you Diana for the original tip on Mezzanine & the warning about the hotel.

It may seem like I did a lot, but for one of my trips, this one was pretty relaxed:-) I've grown used to traveling by myself and like to DO things.

Keith

Diana Feb 17th, 2006 03:48 AM

You did some of the best things in the region while you were there.

We usually have to try and do the things we want to early on in the trip as tequila seems to have magical properties that make us both want to merely sit on the beach and enjoy the sun, sand and water after it gets a hold on us. ;)

I think the more you travel, the more you want to EXPERIENCE the places you go to. Your pics show you really went out of your way to immerse yourself in what there was to see and do. You must have done a lot of research or had a good guide book (or both).

Happy travels! :)

BayouGal Feb 17th, 2006 05:12 PM

Thanks for sharing your trip report! Since you said you were keeping it brief, I am wondering what you left out, so I am off to check out your photos and complete trip report! ;-) Thanks, again!

TC Mar 4th, 2006 11:46 AM

Steve, Nice report and pictures. Just wondering about your dinner at Lobster House. I was in Cozumel from Feb 4 to Feb 25, 2006 and we walked past the LH every morning. It was never open. The building was abandoned and there was a "For Sale" sign up. Just curious, was your dinner from a previous trip?

TC Mar 4th, 2006 11:47 AM

Ooops! Sorry, Keith...not Steve.

Keith Mar 4th, 2006 12:46 PM

No. I had dinner on February 9. Less than a month ago.

You aren't thinking of La Lobsteria?

Keith

TC Mar 6th, 2006 05:26 AM

Keith, Isn't Lobster House the one north, near Hotel Playa Azur? It has a car rental office next door.

tdelano Jun 9th, 2006 07:19 PM

Keith,
I really enjoyed reading your report and seeing your photo's. Thanks for posting!

colleendouglass0531 Jun 18th, 2006 06:28 PM

Keith,

I just booked a trip to the Presidente Cozumel for Feb 2007 a few hours ago, then I saw your pictures from Feb 2006. I am very worried! I just didn't realize the devastation caused by the hurricane. Do you know what it looks like now? We were there several years ago and had such a great time we want to return for my 40th bday, but now I don't know. The hotel says they will re-open in October 2006 and all construction will be complete. What do you think? Any help would be appreciated.

Keith Jun 19th, 2006 04:29 AM

Colleen,

Cozumelmyconzumel is a good place to look for that info, and was my my number one resource preparing for my trip. This recent thread doesn't look encouraging: http://www.cozumelmycozumel.com/dc/d...full&page=

nankar Jun 19th, 2006 12:52 PM

Colleen: We were just in Cozumel in June and it is very much back to normal so relax! I am sure if the Presidente accepted your reservation, it will be in fine shape by then. There is still some visible damage but it is very minimal. All restaurants and most hotels seemed to be operating. Three cruise ships were in the harbor when we left!

Keith Jun 19th, 2006 02:28 PM

nankar, did you see the Presidente while you were there?

The town was pretty much back to normal when I was there back in February. But the Presidente and some of the other places south of town were just empty shells.

Reports of people visiting the location at the end of May say that work was progressing very slowly, with only a few workers working on the hotel.

As of today, the hotel's website still says that they are not accepting reservations.

Keith

colleendouglass0531 Jun 20th, 2006 05:46 PM

Thanks for your replies. I am getting kind of mixed messages and the pictures I saw from May don't look too good. It looks like most of the island is doing well, but the Presidente is not. However, we really love Cozumel and that is where I want to spend my bday, so we are going to chance it. We spoke to the hotel and they assured us the construction would be complete by Oct, so we should have a quiet stay in February. We'll keep you posted!