Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Trip Report (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/trip-report-306098/)

rock Apr 11th, 2003 09:18 AM

Trip Report

Just returned from CR; visited April 3rd to the 10th. Stayed in San Jose 2 nights and Manuel Antonio 4 nights. Here are some thoughts:<BR>San Jose- I did not like San Jose and would not visit here in the future. I thought the city was very dirty. There was a long line for the Theaters and the museum looked pretty nice, but that was about it. Stayed at the Hotel Amon. It claims to be a 4/5 star hotel, but I felt like I was staying in a Motel 6. The staff was stone faced and the bathrooms were moldy and had no wash cloths.<BR>Manuel Antonio- I really cannot express how much of a pleasure it was to visit this area of CR. It did not rain once and the weather was beautiful. We stayed at Si Como No and were happy with our accomodations. We stayed in a Superior Standard room(#19) and had the view of the whole ocean. In my opinion, I would rather stay in these types of rooms and spend my money on activities rather than upgrading to costlier rooms. The only set back, if any, is that you have to walk up a few set of stairs.<BR>Here are some activities we participated in:<BR>MA Beach- You have the option of swimming inside the park or near the entrance. The water was excellent. For those who like to snorkel, this is not the best place to do it. The water is not crystal clear and there are not many &quot;safe&quot; places to do so. One word of caution for those who have children: Be careful because 4 Costa Rican teenagers got caught in the rip tide. One was found 2 hours later. He drowned.<BR>ATV/4 wheel tour- excellent experience. You get to drive your own 4 wheel drive and go up into the mountains and view waterfalls and swim in clean ponds<BR>MA Nature Tour- great. Saw Sloths, monkeys and other wildlife. Highly recommend<BR>Blue Fin Fishing- I am a big fan of fishing. One word of caution about full day tours for Blue Fin. If you don't mind driving around for 7 hours to get 3-5 bites, then you won't mind these trips. I am a more hands on type of fisherman who likes to cast and reel in the fish. On these trips, the boat handlers cast out and hook any potential fish. Once hooked, you sit in a chair and reel in the fish. It was an experience, but I would make sure the next time I have more hands on fishing.<BR>Costs: The restaurants at the hotels are the equivalent of what you would pay in the U.S.. You will need to locate those restaurants that have local prices so you do not have to pay as much.<BR><BR>I am considering buting some land down in Costa Rica. That is how much I enjoyed this country. I would highly recommend it for those people who want a wonderful experience. I hope this helps those who may be looking at visiting<BR><BR>Rock

steelers Apr 11th, 2003 11:07 AM

Rock,<BR>I'm heading to MA tomorrow for a week. Can you tell me the name of the outfit that runs the ATV tours?

rock Apr 11th, 2003 02:39 PM

Steelers.....Si Como No gave us a packet which included companies who offer various activity packages in the area. The 4x4 company is located in Quepos and is called &quot;ATV Adventure Tours&quot;

rock Apr 11th, 2003 02:41 PM

Steelers...Disregard the last message. The company's name is &quot;Fourtrax Adventure Tour&quot;

oonarose Apr 11th, 2003 02:45 PM

Just as a point of information: While washcloths are ubiquitous in the United States, many other countries do not use them, including many countries in Europe. You just suds up with the soap.

steelers Apr 11th, 2003 03:53 PM

Rock,<BR>Thanks for the info. Glad you had a great time! I'll post my experience when I get back. Gotta finish packing.<BR><BR>

rock Apr 11th, 2003 05:51 PM

oonarose....I wanted to use the washcloth to clean the tub!!! A little bit of Clorox would not have hurt either