Arenal - Is a week too much?

Old Dec 28th, 2005, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arenal - Is a week too much?

My husband and I (both 30) are travelling to CR for 8 days in early February. Currently we are booked at the Lost Iguana for the entire week, but are now wondering if we should head to either Playa Grande or Manuel Antonio for 3-4 days.

We were thinking we would stay busy in Arenal doing:
1. Fourtrax tour
2. Hanging bridges
3. Zip line/Canopy Tour
4. White water rafting
5. Hiking
6. Waterfall with horseback ride
7. Hot Springs at Ecotermales
8. Relaxing by the pool

Any thoughts/opinions/advice is very appreciated!

Also, if we arrive in SJO at 3:40, can we drive to Arenal that evening?

Thank you again!
This website has already been so helpful.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 10:46 AM

You can stay buisy every day in Arenal. There is plenty to do. And yes you can drive from San Jose to Arenal that day. They are about 75 miles apart but the drive is 2 1/2 to 3 hours long. We stayed for 1 1/2 weeks at Palo Verde Resort when we went and had a blast. I highly recommend that resort too for your next trip.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 11:18 AM

Arriving at Arenal as late in the day as you are, it would be best for you to spend the night near the airport and begin your drive the next morning. By the time you get out of the airport (and tend to car rental details?), it will be near dark. Best not to drive after dark--particularly on roads that are unfamiliar with any odd assortment of people (even children), dogs, horses, bicycles, oxen, you-name-it sharing the road with you!

For us, 3 days at Arenal would probably suffice. For sure, you could do all of the things you would like in 4 days, even with some relaxing thrown in. If you do choose to stay 8 days, try to work in the Cano Negro tour.

We would want some beach time as well. Arenal and Manuel Antonio do make a very nice 8 day combination. What time are you flying out? If it is later in the day, you could stay at Manuel Antonio (3 hour drive from airport) until the morning of your departure. It may be just me, but 4-5 days anywhere in Costa Rica is about our limit (usually only 3)--there's too much we want to see and do!

Whatever you decide, have a wonderful time!

Old Dec 28th, 2005, 11:19 AM

Please excuse me--too much eggnog.

I meant to say, "arriving in San Jose as late as you are (3:40)". . . . .no wonder people look at me oddly when I say something--no telling what comes out of my mouth!
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! We were thinking of flying/driving to Manuel Antonio from Arenal. Where do you recommend staying? I'm having trouble finding good places to stay (since most are already booked for February).
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 03:30 PM

We always enjoyed the location as well as the ambience of Arenal Paraiso. The grounds are quite nice, and they have a little spa, nice pool, some acclaimed ziplines, etc. Nice view of the volcano. They may be booked, but in case you have checked, give them a try.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 04:23 PM

DBRBNR - agree with Shillmac and unfortunately disagree with M90 - on traveling to Arenal the same day of arrival.

With a 3:40 arrival time, you will be out of the airport, probably somewhere between 4-5:30 PM. It gets dark at around 6 PM in CR year round. So by the time you get your rental it will already be dark.

Stay the night somewhere either in or near SJ, enjoy a fun little hotel and unwind before your drive. I always enjoy our first night back and my first Imperial.

As to where to stay - tell us where you have tried and then maybe we can point you to some that you have not.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 06:35 PM

I could easily spend a week in Arenal. There is always something else I really wanted to do but didn't have time for. It takes me more like 4 hours to get to Arenal from S.J.

Sandy