My trip/picture report. Monteverde, Arenal, Osa, BdC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m going to do a combined picture /trip report. This may have been our best trip ever. It was our first time to Monteverde and Arenal.
Late arrival into SJO, we had arranged thru Orquideas Inn / Zamar 2000 for a pick up. Of course they weren’t there due to us arriving late, so we called to tell them we had landed and we would take a taxi, they said they were on their way and would be there in 5 minutes. Well, about an hour later here they are. We had problems with them last year, not showing at all and on our way to SJO to fly home, the driver actually stopped to buy paint while we were waiting in the van. But we did give them the benefit of the doubt again this year. When we arrived exactly on time via Sansa from Puerto Jimenez, they were not there again and it was another “we are just 5 mins away”, so 20 minutes later we call again and now they will be awhile due to road construction…..um hmmm. We saw no road construction coming or going. We stupidly arrange for a transfer to SJO the next AM, at 10:30. Yep, he says I ’ll be there.um hmmm! Well 10:30 AM the staff tells us the van has broken down and she will call a taxi. We will not use Zamar 2000 again. I think they only share the office space at Orquideas.
We rented a 4X4 from Tri-Color, efficient and very easy, also included the GPS for 11.00 day.
We loved driving and will def. rent again. First stop Monteverde, primary reason to see the quetzals. We have not been there before. Fun drive, took about 3 hrs. We had requested one of the newer Jr. Suites, we had room 40. Great beds, we would stay there again. We did find the food in MV very expensive. Throughout CR there is an automatic 10% service fee and a additional 16% tax to all meals. Adds a hefty cost to eating. We had our first dinner at FVela, very good. 60USD included tip. We had very little interaction w/the staff, the ones we met were very nice. They advertise internet access in the lobby ,it never worked while we were there.
Loved Monteverde reserve and the area. You will see the pics for more info. Saw the Quetzals!!

After spending 3 great days there, we were then off to Arenal. We had all of these plans to do the Hanging Bridges, Eco- termales etc. We loved the Arenal Observatory Lodge so much. It was clear and hot and so beautiful, we ended up only going into La Fortuna twice for dinner. I could have spent a week or more there easily. We will definitely go back there, I loved it! I assume if the volcano was shrouded and covered it may not be as much fun, but it was wonderful just to sit and stare. Plus the pool and hot tub at night watching the lava was so much fun. All night I was whispering to Hubby…”Are you awake?” hahahaha  I truly could not quit looking. Plus the birding was beyond amazing! That for me was the biggest surprise.

After 3 wonderful days there, back to Orq. Inn for a night before returning the car. Easy drop off with no extra fees. Flew then to Puerto Jimenez via Sansa. We had decided to stay a night in PJ before going to Bosque del Cabo for a week. We chose Iguana Lodge. I know the reports have varied on tripadvisor…but we went with an open mind. What a treat, although we did have one he** of a night! We were only there one night… but they truly treated us like royalty. I had reserved the cheapest room…on arrival they said we are so quiet we will show you all of our accommodations and you can have your pick at no extra charge. We were greeted by name by Marti, and as she is orienting us to the property, Sydnar (sp?) stops to get us to show us a sloth and macaws. As we are continuing the tour we meet the owners( Lauren and Toby) and Lauren says show them the house, you will want to stay there. So we did. It’s funny now, although it wasn’t so funny then….we enjoyed the private beach (private b/c no one else anywhere!). swam etc. It gets dark at 6 as you know, so we go to the house and turn on the big ceiling fan with the bright light…and in spite of the screens the bugs came flying out of nowhere. They seemed to be little beetle type bugs..and tons of gnat like bugs. The beetle bugs were falling and getting into my hair..the gnats annoying, crawling all over us… in the bed etc. We were thinking what have we gotten ourselves into. Then it starts pouring rain, very hard and the roof is tin, so it is so loud! hahaha
We decide to head to the bar and drink all night. Not go to bed… And of course the bartender/waiter Bladimir was also a delight, showing us frogs etc. He was so nice, he shared his life history w/us. But eating and having several drinks we knew he wanted to close up shop. So back to the villa. By using our reading lights only and not the overhead light, we did not see another bug….really!! But we were a little bug shy by then and I wasn’t too sure. Plus the loud rain and everything felt so damp. It made for a long night. But we will go back, we did enjoy it immensely if that makes sense. Hahahaha Wonderful staff, but I think I will stick to the basic room!
Next day we were off to BdC. As always it is wonderful. Greeted by Gerly and both Cindy’s. Also Heylin . Kim was in SJO, but we did get to see Phil for a few days. We teased him saying we wanted royalties since we are in the new website twice.
Started out in Cabina Sol, wonderful shower view! They were moving a few guests due to some grounds maintenance, so we moved to Mariposa. What a beautiful cabina.
As always the staff is the best, each one nicer than the next. Cabinas are spotless. They have a few changes since we were there last year. A local jeweler comes once a week to the bar area with his and his families handmade jewelry. Beautiful stuff. And on most Wednesdays they have someone from the local Cat conservation org, giving a wonderful 60 min talk about saving the big cat habitat. It was so good and informative. It is at 6 PM, just before dinner. Do go if it is going on while you are there.
It was slow at BdC, only 6 or 8 at dinner several nights. They did say that the reservations were picking up. And they are excited about the Fodors GTG.
We did the Titi trail daily, hoping to see the elusive Puma, alas no sighting for us. We did see some anteater pics that someone had just seen on the Titi. Missed that one too. Also someone said she saw a peccary.
One day all 6 guests ran into each other on …what else …The Titi!
It was very hot and humid. Only had a night or 2 of breeze. They have had very little rain, and they do need it.
We saw Gerly’s beautiful daughter, Gerly now lives on the property. And little Heylin’s boy is a chunk! She had some pics on her cell phone. He is so cute.
Every AM I was up early, heading out the “driveway” critter looking of course ,with a quick stop at the farm for some birding. I would sometimes cut across the gardens. Saw a lot of monkeys on the outings. We did the night hike w/Philip, it was OK. I did an early AM birding hike w/Carlos, thoroughly enjoyable.
We met a wonderful group of people, the dinner conversation was always fun. I love hearing what everyone did and what they saw. We only had Maureen as the chef the first night we were there, the other meals were by Miguel, all wonderful, but we sure missed Maureen. But one night’s dessert was a warm chocolate mousse souffle’. Yum !! and another was a lemon custard type dessert. Yum yum!
So for the rest of my story please see my captioned photos, there are a lot and it will take some time. Enjoy, I am already thinking what we will do there next year!
Link to my pics

http://ovies.smugmug.com/gallery/850...60101632_oW4jK

Melissa, of course I remember you, hope you and Mom are fine and we are going back to MX in October, let me know if you will be there then.
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 04:29 PM

Great pictures!! I especially like the one of the Blue Morpho butterfly...I wasn't able to get one. Thanks for sharing!
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 05:17 PM

Enjoyed reading about your trip. Your pictures are wonderful.
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 05:43 PM

Wonderful pictures - I really had fun reading your report! And you had great sightings - I've never seen such great pics of the volcano. You are one lucky lady! And the quetzals!
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 05:58 PM

Great trip report and good pictures.

Loved all of them!
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 07:40 PM

What wonderful pics, all of them. I was going to comment on some here and there but too many!

How was the weather at Monteverde? Cool at night?

It looks like you had a wonderful trip, make me want to start planning but I guess get this coming trip out of the way first! We will find the puma, swear! hip is not gonna be out on the titi all day w/a tuna melt in herhand for nothing!

Sorry you had such troubles with Wady. They've always been good w/me but I always ask for/get Luis. Does sound irritating, especially when you could've been there by taxi well before!

Thanks again, great pics.
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 04:23 AM

Love your photos, so many excellent ones such with the aracaris, hummingbirds, toucans, plus some of the best of Arenal that I've ever seen! I loved the one of the rays of sun coming through the trees, the blue morphos - I went to bed dreaming about Costa Rica last night after viewing your photos - thanks!!

It sounds like you had a great trip and thanks for sharing.
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 04:36 AM

We loved our Fonda Vela junior suite too, but I was chuckling about the Internet. It didn't work when we were there either. I have to wonder if it ever works!
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 05:22 AM

You pictures are fantastic! You ARE a lucky lady, with all of those good sightings of birds and the volcano! I was also pleasantly surprised at how peaceful and beautiful it was at AOL. So glad you had a good trip!
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 07:24 AM

Thanks for sharing -- the photos are amazing! God, I wish I was there right now. But, a nice little 'hit' for now. You've pretty much convinced me to stay at AOL, and to try to nab Mariposa next time. Envious of the blue morpho shot -- it's nearly perfect.

Also, FYI, but the photo of Gerly teaching Kevin and the other person to dance -- her name is Xinnia. She was super nice this past March -- we got the spelling of her name before we left. I'll have to ask for that dance lesson next time!
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Thank to all of you for the kind comments , it really was a great time.
I did forget to add that my first morning on the DRIVEWAY, ( a group of us at dinner decided that the driveway should be added to the trail list since so much wildlife is seen on the driveway!! , ) anyway I saw a Tayra again!! Much smaller than the one I saw last year, I was so excited. It saw me and was gone in a flash. Phil told me they are seen quite often and are pretty fast.

Tully,

the weather wasn't cool at all, there was one rainy night at MV, that we wore lightweight long sleeves due to the dampness, but it was quite nice. I only wore long zip off pants twice and that was at MV and only b/c I had bought them for the trip, I really did not need them. Took the legs off both times after hiking a little.
I will tell you it was quite warm at Arenal, if you were in the sun for long you needed to be in the pool or in the shade pronto. And BdC was very hot. One of the trails we did at Arenal (the river trail) about did me in with the heat, we could actually see the trail end,but I could not move, I told hubby just leave me here ....whew a hot hot hike.
At BdC, hubby was the same way when we were at the bottom of the canyon on the Saino, he left me and headed up to get some air. I am a slower trekker than he is. He was about at the end of his tolerance. It wasn't the physical part for either of us, it was the stifling heat and absolutely no breeze. We are sweating like porkers and the staff have on the usual jeans etc! hahaha

We have had Luis before at Zamar, but this time it was Randal. Nice as could be, but not too reliable. And on the day of our departure the van breaks down exactly at 10:30?? We were just disappointed.

VG,

that is so funny about the internet at FV. I kept thinking the two computers at the office desk work, aren't the connections the same?? I also thought, they probably never work.But the guy at the desk said the IT guy is coming! hahaha

plumboy, thanks for correct spelling of Xinnia (AKA as Sena) she was not just absolutely stunning, but oh so nice!
But hey, I get first dibs on Mariposa. You do know it is haunted, guests are always saying they hear what sounds like a woman screaming coming from the cabin in the early AM!!
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 04:05 PM

Parrmt -- Great trip report! Thanks for sharing all the good and buggy details. ;-) Wonderful pictures too. Love the site you used with all the captions. I aspire to be so organized! Sorry to hear about the bum rides, good thing there are so many great things about CR to offset that par.
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 04:06 PM

part.
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 04:13 PM

Thanks Toni for the info. Still haven't made it there, one of these days! Funny where I least expected it is where I reached my breaking point - in Cabo Blanco, up near Mal Pais. Hiking back I swear I was going to pass out and kept seeing spots. I have never done the Saino, I made Jill promise she would go on it, she said it was 'leafier' than others.

Oh I forgot about you funny bug story, though not so then. I wonder were they termites? My first time at Bosque, my forst night, I had a swarm (this was in early June) and just about lost my mind! Luckily it passed but they were everywhere! Oh and the gecko...that is why I always war flip flops, so scared of stepping on anything squishy.

Hey is Sol the cabina at the bottom of the new BdC page, on the classic cabinas tab? I love those 2 big windows, was thinking have to stay in a different cabina each trip and I really like the way that one looks.
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 04:23 PM

parrmt: how did you get so close to all those birds? I know some shots were taken through the scope but you got really close! What a great trip report!
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 05:24 PM

Not only was the Internet funny, but I forgot to tell you that our frig in our room wasn't working either. We asked at the front desk, and they said the frig in that particular room stops working for three days every month, and it just HAPPENS to be during the three days we were there! LOL!
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 02:45 PM

Enjoyed your pics.-especially the volcano with Oropendola shot.I can relate to the "up all night" reference to Arenal-I did the same thing!Hope (she?) doesn't blow her top!!!
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Hip, the site I use is smugmug, it is about 30-35USD a year , but well worth it.

Tully, yeah the bug story, I can totally relate! And yes I do believe that is Cabina Sol pictured.

Erresea, I used a small travel tripod so I could really zoom. I have a Panasonic FZ18, it takes great pictures. I only have a few pics that we used the guides scope. In fact last year shillmac loved my CR 2008 pics so much, she bought the exact same camera online, she said she just could not go wrong! At BdC I met Melissa who had just purchased the newest upgrade , the FZ 28 I think, she said she bought it due to the rave reviews of Panasonics on Fodors!!!
But I will tell you I had serious! serious! spotting scope and big camera/big lens envy in Arenal!!!

It will be interesting if Arenal does blow!!
Old Jul 3rd, 2009, 06:37 PM

Hi parrmt!

I just got back from CR 2 days ago. Had a wonderful time as always and really enjoyed meeting the Fodor's gang who were at BdC!

I was swamped for the few weeks before I left town and had very little Fodor's time, so I'm just now getting caught up and saw that you had posted this report.

Looks like you had a fantastic time, and were able to capture some really beautiful photos. I didn't get to see the lava when I visited Arenal a few years ago. You sure make me long to go back there! Ahh, Costa Rica! Can't wait to go back...
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 02:17 PM

Wow, Toni, those are awesome photos. Can't believe you captured the morpho. It is almost impossible. You got some really good new lifers as well. Good for you!

I started out wanting to be sure and mention some of my favorite photos, but there were so many outstanding ones, it's hard to remember now! The agouti photo was awesome, the dragonfly, great quetzal photos, and there's one on the Pacific at BdC that was gorgeous. Too many to name! Lots of great floral photos, too.

Sidnar! Oh man, he's such a great guy. He is a nephew to Eduardo, who used to "manage/bird guide" at Bosque del Cabo. Sidnar's nickname is Michi. He is working on getting his guiding license. We didn't see him this year at Iguana, and I was so disappointed as I had booked our 2 nights there with the sole purpose of birding with him. Of course, did I book it early? NO. He was already "taken" on our morning there. So we rode bikes into Puerto Jimenez that day and hung out almost all day.

I'm so glad you reminded me to look at the photos. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -