Search

Trip Insurance - Yes or No?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip Insurance - Yes or No?

Hello All,
One of the lodges where DH and I plan to stay in CR suggested trip insurance. I've looked into this before, but never purchased any. We will be staying 10 nights in 3 different locations. We'll only use air travel to Osa (of course we will fly to CR) and other transportation will be by private driver and jeep boat jeep.

What do you all think, and if you feel it is a good idea, please suggest some companies to check out.
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 04:18 PM

Generally the total price of the trip is the deciding factor for me. I just booked a vacation to Paris and it will run close to 3K. that's enough for me to pay a extra 100 bucks for the piece of mind.

Here's a website where you can review some of the trip insurance companies.

http://www.travelinsurancereview.net/
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 04:37 PM

I always get it. I just sleep better knowing that I have it in case one of us gets sick and we can't go, or a family member gets sick, etc. Plus, it does usually provide another level of protection in case something should happen on the trip.

I always use insuremytrip.com to get quotes. Sometimes I will buy from insuremytrip and sometimes I end up going directly to the company's website -- sort of depends.
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 05:08 PM

I don't always get it but have a few times. If we've used air miles (which we can put back in our account) and aren't booking spendy places ahead, then we don't buy insurance to cover cancellation, delay, or lost luggage. I always buy DAN dive insurance and sometimes up the coverage for med evac. If we've booked a lot of places in advance and especially if we're traveling with extended family or friends, we buy it. I've used insuremytrip.com successfully in the past; I say successfully but have never had a claim.
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your responses. I am leaning towards purchasing the insurance since the cost of the trip will end up being quite expensive.

I know my mother recently bought insurance for a 2 wk trip to Machu Picchu and the Galapagos, and luckily didn't need to use it. The coverage seemed quite extensive, but I don't remember who she used.
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 05:47 PM

I work in the travel field & just heard about one of our clients who traveled to Panama, tripped over her suitcase & hit her head. She was fine until the next day when she had a seizure-wound up in a coma in ICU & needed to be medivacked out to the states for surgery a few days later. Most health insurance companies won't cover illness/accidents in other countries or medical evacuations. I ALWAYS suggest insurance...you just never know what might happen.
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 06:19 PM

I don't buy insurance. We travel several times a year, and if something happens and we can't go, I think we are still money ahead. All of those relatively cheap $100.00+ insurance policies add up over the years. I guess I'm a gambler at heart.

However, our medical insurance from the US does cover us when we travel and I do have medical evacuation insurance, since we're spending several months in Belize, and the cost to get back to the US if we're ill/injured would be cost prohibitive.
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 06:32 PM

We've never purchased it. I did have to cancel a trip a once due to a family member's illness, and I just called the hotels and explained, and they were happy to release us from our obligation. I realize that that may not always be the case, but it worked out for us.
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 06:48 PM

We've gotten it the past several trips. It really isn't that expensive and I like the idea of pretty much everything being covered while we travel as well as in the event that the trip has to be cancelled. I usually go to insuremytrip.com and pick the one with the best coverage for the most reasonable price.
Old Feb 27th, 2010, 06:17 AM

I never used to get it, now I always do. The most expensive coverage was $120, the least was $56. I feel better having it.
Old Feb 27th, 2010, 06:55 AM
TC

We bought it for our trip to Africa, but don't for other "smaller" trips. We have an annual policy with MedJet for medical evacuation, etc. Its a lot better coverage for that type of need than what any travel insurance policies offer.

Do be aware of all the ins and outs of travel policies. I think many people buy them (and they are costly - premiums are based on the cost of your trip, age, etc.) thinking that they are covered in case <u>anything</u> happens and the trip has to be cancelled or shortened. NOT SO. For instance, we looked into this when traveling to Asia and my father-in-law was elderly and ill thinking we could return home or cancel if something happened to him. No policy would cover the lose in a case like that. The premium would have been a complete waste.

Also, be aware of WHO makes the decisions on your medical care and evacuation -- you or the insurance company? MedJet flies the travelers AND PARTNER home at the request of the injured traveler. They do not take you to the nearest in country medical facility like some policies stipulate. Once stable - the traveler is flown home. MedJet offers substantial discounts for AARP members.