Trip insurance for Costa Rica

Jul 8th, 2004, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Trip insurance for Costa Rica

We're scheduled for our first Costa Rica trip in January. My husband and I (mid 70's, early 60's) have travelled extensively over the decades and have never bothered with insurance. This time we're thinking maybe it'd be foolish not to get some. When we looked at prices, however, we were very surprised-- way way more expensive than we had guessed. Are any of you in the habit of buying travel insurance? With what company?

On a totally different subject: Can anyone suggest which accommodation to request at Villa Caletas?

Thanks! (I've been so impressed with and grateful for these boards that I've spent some time responding to the Caribbean section-- an area that we know very well. I keep wondering: what does Fodor's get out of all this?)
Jul 8th, 2004, 06:40 AM

We always and I mean always get Trip Insurance. We had a friend one time who was on a cruise with her parents and they had to have her mother airlifted off of the ship due to illness and sent home. Without trip insurance it would have been prohibitive. Plus they would have lost all their money for the cruise.

We always buy the trip insurance from Vacation Express (website: www.vacationexpress.com) It includes Trip interruption, trip delay, emergency evacuation, baggage/personal effects, baggage delay, accidental death, accident and sickness medical expenses, repatriation of remains coverages. They also have a worldwide emergency 24 hours assistance.
It's relatively cheap when you consider what a real emergency would cost you. Better safe than sorry.
Jul 8th, 2004, 08:46 AM

Greetings! I may have gone overboard on the trip insurance for our recent trip (a month with two kids) but I got it for $25 per person thru priceline when I bought the tickets AND picked up health insurance (with a bit of duplicity) in Costa Rica for the three of us, for five weeks, for $58 at the INS counter in the airport. It was well worth it IMHO. Happy travels.

Search this Thread