Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page > Trip in Nov/ Dec - Concerns re theft, language & cashing travellers cheques
Notices

Trip in Nov/ Dec - Concerns re theft, language & cashing travellers cheques

May 17th, 1999, 08:57 PM
Kaz Thorpe

Trip in Nov/ Dec - Concerns re theft, language & cashing travellers cheques

Reading Lonely Planet, US Govt tips for travellers to Sth America - leaves me feeling unsure about my trip. What's everyones experience with security, pickpockets & the like? Rio? Peru? esp. I don't speak any Spanish yet but am trying - is any English spoken at hotels, airports, banks? I have read its hard to cash travellers chq esp in Argentina - is that the case. Assurance & tips needed.

Kaz (OZ)

Jun 2nd, 1999, 09:50 AM
cb

I can talk about Brazil and Rio. Portuguese is language; English is spoken at hotel reception desks and shops that cater to tourists. I found that many banks, taxi drivers, many restaurants do not know English. I was able to exchange currency at hotels; there are also ATM machines. By learning a few phrases and bringing along a phrase book, I was even able to use the subway and buses. Brazilians do tend to be very helpful even with a language barrier.
Rio is no worse than New York city; exercise the same caution. LP and guidebooks have good info on where not to go. Rio may have more pickpockets. Beware of groups of children and adults (men and women) who try to approach you.
They have many diversionary tactics to try relieve you of valuables.
I suggest dress down and do not carry valuables as much as possible. Do not make your valuables conspicuous. This applies to any place in the world where the natives think that all tourists are millionaires.

Jun 2nd, 1999, 09:51 AM
cb

I can talk about Brazil and Rio. Portuguese is language; English is spoken at hotel reception desks and shops that cater to tourists. I found that many banks, taxi drivers, many restaurants do not know English. I was able to exchange currency at hotels; there are also ATM machines. By learning a few phrases and bringing along a phrase book, I was even able to use the subway and buses. Brazilians do tend to be very helpful even with a language barrier.
Rio is no worse than New York city; exercise the same caution. LP and guidebooks have good info on where not to go. Rio may have more pickpockets. Beware of groups of children and adults (men and women) who try to approach you.
They have many diversionary tactics to try relieve you of valuables.
I suggest dress down and do not carry valuables as much as possible. Do not make your valuables conspicuous. This applies to any place in the world where the natives think that all tourists are millionaires.

Jun 2nd, 1999, 02:08 PM
mary

Hi Kaz, I have travelled many times to most major cities in South-America, Bogota, Caracas, Buenos Aires, Santiago, Lima etc. Nothing ever happened to me, and I am just that type of person you can immediately see that I am not South American.
My experience with the people is very good, people in general are nice and helpful.
Some places as Lima and Rio precisely seem to be very dangerous, and you should be careful and not walk alone on the streets after dark, and just never have any valuables with you.
I hope you will enjoy it as much as I always have!
Good luck !!!

Search this Thread