Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   tri color rent a car (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/tri-color-rent-a-car-426277/)

koa Apr 27th, 2004 06:38 PM

tri color rent a car

Anyone used tri color rent a car. They seem to have some of the best rates. Any comments good or bad would be appreciated.

shillmac Apr 27th, 2004 06:42 PM

We used them successfully in March and are going to try them again in June and July, 2 separate weeks. There have been a few reports about them finding tiny little "dings" upon returning the vehicle that weren't there before. This happened with us (and it was a very small and almost impossible to notice dent in a very obscure location), but they determined it had been there previously when they checked their paperwork. At any rate, we are going to try again because the rates are exceptional. We have used Dollar in the past and been extremely satisfied with them.

koa Apr 28th, 2004 01:34 AM

Thanks for the reply. Maybe thats why they offer good rates, they catch people with mysterious dings and charge them. Anyway, I guess i will look at Toyota rent a car which has good rates. Anybody else out there use Tri color?

koa Apr 30th, 2004 09:12 PM

TTT

rogerb May 7th, 2004 01:12 PM

We just returned from 5 weeks in CR [report to follow] - rented from Tricolor. We reserved a Terios but were upgraded to Mitsubishi Montero. Car was fine, the ground clearance was helpful in Nicoya and on way up to Monteverde - never had to use 4 wheel drive.

We had absolutely no problem upon returning the car. Check out took about 15 minutes, no dings found or any other problems. I'll be happy to use Tricolor again when we return [hope it is very soon!!!]

koa May 7th, 2004 04:17 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I just got a qoute for a Terios 11 day rental of $500 including everything. Maybe I will check with Tri color before I commit to Dollar.

trevorjoyce May 9th, 2004 11:17 AM

Let us know what Tricolor says; we will rent a car for about 9 days at the beginning of Aug and are deciding between those 2. Joyce

koa May 10th, 2004 02:01 PM

Well everbody, decided on Dollar. Got a Terios for 11 days for $500. The service over the internet is very prompt and considering all the good reviews, I decided to go for it. Why try to save a few bucks with an unknown company.*Rate is a green season rate

bronzinthekeys Sep 26th, 2004 09:49 PM

I rented a car from Tri-Color last Nov.I shopped extensively on the net before arriving in Costa Rica. And I do mean extensively! I coudn't book anything before hand due to not knowing our exact scheduel. The hotel,we were staying in, The Hemingway, arranged a car for us through Tri- Color. Their rates were better than any I had found on the net. They also delivered the car and picked it up. They were extremely courteous, very thourough in showing us how and where everything was located/and worked in the car. We got a brand new all terrain type compact jeep. We had none of this "invisible or new dings" problem. The car was great, so was the service and at a great savings compared to what the other companies were charging. We are returning to Costa Rica in Oct.of 2004 and have all ready booked with Tri- Color.

LA_FadeAway Sep 27th, 2004 12:32 PM

We used Dollar because they were offering the best rate for what we needed. We were happy with them, but the pick up and drop off process was very slow.

shillmac Sep 27th, 2004 03:28 PM

LAFadeaway, we liked Dollar as well, but found better prices with Tricolor--you are right, however. I do think there is a larger selection of vehicles with Dollar.

Humberto: One of the other posters was looking for a place to stay (near the airport) when arriving very late at night on Christmas Eve. I mentioned both Vida Tropical and Villa Bonita to them. I know that Vida Tropical has a wonderful breakfast. Could you share some info about the breakfast at Villa Bonita? It isn't unsolicited advertising. . .I asked!

Tiquicia Sep 27th, 2004 08:18 PM

Thank you Shillmac!

This is what Hotel Villa Bonita have for breakfast:
You can choose among plate of fresh seasonal fruits, the famous Gallo Pinto ( Costarican style breakfasts), eggs ,pancakes, cereal. Fresh bread, coffee, tea, milk and pure orange juice.

Humberto

shillmac Sep 28th, 2004 04:08 AM

Thanks Humberto. My friends in San Joaquin tell me it's been raining gatos y perros!