Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page > Trevorjoyce trip memories: 2011 Puerto Viejo & Tortuguero!!

Trevorjoyce trip memories: 2011 Puerto Viejo & Tortuguero!!

Aug 5th, 2012, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Trevorjoyce trip memories: 2011 Puerto Viejo & Tortuguero!!

We (parents/23 yr old son) spent a wonderful week in CR last summer and I still have guilt that I never wrote my trip report! Now as I plan a trip to Germany, my heart is still in CR so I must do this! I think my fantasy was that my son would write it like he did last time. I guess at 15 yrs old it was fun to write one for mom; I waited out the year just in case but it wasn't happening!
We flew into San Jose and our wonderful driver(Oscar)from our first trip(2004) met us at the airport. My son recognized him right away and off we went.We had spent our first trip in the central and Pacific area. For this trip we spent Sat. -Wed. in PV at Caribe Town. We had initially planned to stay at Banana Azul but then it came to our attention that they had a cat and we have some allergies. Actually, I had trouble re-booking and "Hipvirgochick" spent a few hrs. one night trying to help me.
Caribe Town was great! Jessica, the owner was very helpful and breakfasts were delicious. It is right across from Playa Cocles/Chiquita and at times we were the only ones there. We did the popular activities in the area and I went overboard enjoying my "mora shakes", mango gelato etc!
We then moved on via another driver to meet Modesto Watson and we boarded the Riverboat Francesca to go To Laguna Lodge. We were the only ones and had 2 days of touring with Modesto all alone!! It was fabulous. If any of you want to see sights, learn about that area, he's the one for you! His wife and he usually do the trips together. The wildlife was amazing as was the rain. The rain came down in buckets at times but then out came the sun. We were provided with ponchos and umbrellas so it was fine and expected.While there we did go out at night to see the turtles laying their eggs; this was much more successful than when we stayed up late last trip hoping to see Arenal erupt!
Spent our last night in San Jose in Casa 69. Part of the Modesto trip is the transport back to San Jose area. We had never been in San Jose so walked over to the Artists Market and had our last dinner and piece of tres leches cake.
This is a very brief version, but wanted to share a little and thank the folks especially Hip, Shillmac, Volcanogirl who helped us plan the trip. My goal is now to get to Bosque Del Cabo.
Aug 5th, 2012, 03:04 PM

That's awesome - glad you had such a good time. I think your new goal is totally achievable! We had some crazy rain in Tortuguero too, but like you we loved all the wildlife. I think BdC is even better.
Aug 13th, 2012, 12:09 PM

Sounds like a great trip! Have been taking a break from the forums but so glad you enjoyed your trip. Those are some of the best spots! A bunch of us are meeting up at BDC late June next year...just sayin'. ;-)

Search this Thread