Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   travels from Mayan Riviera to Belize (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/travels-from-mayan-riviera-to-belize-838444/)

Idahospud May 2nd, 2010 07:07 PM

travels from Mayan Riviera to Belize

I'm contemplating flying into Cancun next January & then staying in the Mayan Riviera area. Is there a good bus system to get to Belize? Seems flying from Cancun to Belize is rather spendy.

JeanH May 3rd, 2010 05:22 AM

It's very easy to get to Chetumal from anywhere in the Mayan Riviera by bus. Pretty cheap too.

Once in Chetumal, there are a couple of options for getting to Belize. If you want to go to Ambergris Caye, there is a water taxi that goes daily. I think it's about $30.00 and takes about 1 1/2 hours.

Or, you can transfer to a Belize bus and proceed from there.

Or, you can arrange a transfer across the border with a Belize company, and they'll take you where you want to go. Actually, they would probably pick you up in Cancun if you really wanted them to.

Before there was a water taxi, we would use the transfer company to take us to the air strip in Corozal, then we would fly to Ambergris Caye from there.

Idahospud May 3rd, 2010 02:15 PM

Good info. It's been 12 yrs since we've been to Cancun so thought we'd check out the Maya Riviera this time. We like to dive & snorkel & had great experiences last time as well as going to Tuluum & Chichen Itsa. We were in Belize just a couple of years ago & loved our time there. We're thinking of going to Punta Gorda to the new jungle lodge so will most likely need to fly there.

JeanH May 4th, 2010 05:27 AM

We recently took the bus from Belize City to Independence (then caught a boat over to Placencia). The bus ride was a bit over four hours, it would have been another hour to Punta Gorda.

We really enjoyed the trip through the Maya Mountains. Beautiful scenery. An endless parade of people getting on and off the bus (I guess that's why it took so long).

It might not be a good option with lots of luggage though, these are converted school buses, not muc space for bags. There are small spaces overhead, most airline carryon bags would fit. You can also put bags in the back of the bus, but people use the back door to exit, so watch your stuff!

Patty May 4th, 2010 10:36 AM

<i>We're thinking of going to Punta Gorda to the new jungle lodge so will most likely need to fly there.</i>

Which one?

Idahospud May 6th, 2010 01:57 PM

I just looked up the Cotton Tree Jungle lodge & it looks fun. Is that the one you are looking at? Just wondering if anyone has stayed there recently & what kind of feedback there is. We like to snorkel & dive so it looks a bit out of the way but then we can spend 4 or 5 nights there & then head on to a place where we can do those things. We love wildlife & the howler monkeys. We were in Costa Rica 3 yrs ago & loved it.

Patty May 6th, 2010 03:56 PM

I've been looking at Cotton Tree and a few others. I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything ;)

If anyone has comments about wildlife viewing in PG, I'd love to hear too.