Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Travelling to CR MArch 3-11 (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/travelling-to-cr-march-3-11-a-766324/)

amanda1984 Feb 9th, 2009 10:18 PM

Travelling to CR MArch 3-11

Hi Everyone- My husband and I are travelling to Costa Rica for the first time. We have our flights booked- but we are unable to decide whether to book a tour or go on our own. we are flying in and out of San Jose and we would like to visit the Arenal area and ANY beach area... any ideas? which part of the coast would you recommend caribbean or pacific? we are on a very tight budget!!!

Cimbrone Feb 10th, 2009 03:18 AM

No point in booking a tour which will only jack up your prices unnecessarily. I'd go to Arenal and Manuel Antonio on the Pacific coast. For one thing, it's closer to Arenal than the Caribbean side. Some people like to complain about Manuel Antonio being too touristy, but it's still beautiful. The beaches, the restaurants, the national park...it's all fabulous.

volcanogirl Feb 10th, 2009 04:53 AM

I completely agree with Cimbrone. It's very easy to book everything yourself. That's what we've always done. Arenal and Manuel Antonio is a great combo for a first trip.

cmerrell Feb 10th, 2009 09:30 AM

Here's a third vote for Arenal and MA. It's a really 'user - friendly' itinerary for first time visitors. Both areas offer a wide range of hotels, restaurants, and activities.

If you need help booking things, Pat Hewitt who frequents these boards is a travel agent and several posters here have used his services. I can provide his website info if you're interested, but all in all, it's pretty easy to just book things yourself with a little research. This is a great place to ask questions! :-)

dfr4848 Feb 10th, 2009 10:42 AM

Do you mean Mar 3-11 as in 3 weeks from now? Might be hard to get a tour at this point. But I agree with the others as to suggested places to go and booking day trips/excusions on your own - very easy to do.

qwovadis Feb 10th, 2009 11:17 AM

www.arenal.net

www.manuelantoniopark.com

www.puravidahotel.com

makes a nice flight night hotel.

for those with moderate budget.

See Poas maybe www.dokaestate.com

www.tripadvisor.com has good area

hotels you can book yourself

and save...do check reviews ranking.

www.interbusonline.com for xport.

Have fun,

amanda1984 Feb 10th, 2009 09:18 PM

Thanks everyone... I was wondering what you think is the cheapest/safest mode of transportation to Arenal and from Arenal to MA? I noticed everyone recommends MA but what about Jaco? or the Flamingo beach resort near liberia?

tully Feb 11th, 2009 03:50 AM

Interbus is reliable and would most likely be your cheapest option with just the 2 of you.

shillmac Feb 11th, 2009 04:16 AM

Flamingo Beach is a nice area, but doesn't have as much activity options. Also, it can be pricey. The national park at Manuel Antonio (on the beach) is very hard to beat for beauty and enjoyment. Also, you get a price range of hotels to choose from.

Those of us who are recommended MA and Arenal to you have traveled all over the place in Costa Rica and have mentioned those 2 locations specifically because you are first timers. Lots of bang for your buck with a live volcano and a national park on the beach location! :)

shillmac Feb 11th, 2009 04:19 AM

Regarding transportation, I agree with Tully that Interbus is probably the simplest option. It will cost you about $70 (for the two of you) each transfer. That's 3 transfers, right? So about $210. . .

You can rent a vehicle for that same amount for a week. That will save you $$ on taxis at Arenal ($8 a pop, couple of times a day). Check with:

www.tricolorcarrental.com

amanda1984 Feb 12th, 2009 09:04 AM

thanks everyone- what is the cheapest way to book hotel room in Costa Rica- do you have a website you use?

tully Feb 12th, 2009 10:59 AM

You're apt to get best rates and maybe even a discount since business is slower than usual down there if you just book directly with the hotel.

volcanogirl Feb 12th, 2009 11:06 AM

Yep, we always just book everything ourselves directly with the hotels.

hop_along Feb 13th, 2009 07:04 AM

Volcanogirl, et al: Appreciate your comments, but I've found that hotel rates (San Jose and MA) can actually be found for considerably less on Internet travel sites than through direct bookings -- unless maybe you meant negotiating directly with the hotel staff rather than using their websites.

volcanogirl Feb 13th, 2009 07:09 AM

hop, what travel sites do you use for booking? I'm all for saving $.

hop_along Feb 13th, 2009 09:21 AM

I most recently reserved hotels through Travelocity. Only catch is that pre-payment is required for the bargain rates. But it's still possible to cancel or change dates if necessary.

amanda1984 Feb 13th, 2009 10:28 AM

thanks everyone- I have found some cheaper deals online- but I have talked to the hotels directly and they have agreed to match them! one quick question. How many minute drive is it from Quepos to MA? We are looking at staying at a better priced 4 star in quepos but I am wondering if it will be a pain and costly to stay there rather than right at MA?

volcanogirl Feb 13th, 2009 10:53 AM

Quepos and MA are very, very close. Most of the hotels are in MA and clustered on a hill, so you get pretty views of the sunset over the water. My preference would be to stay in MA.

dfr4848 Feb 13th, 2009 11:24 AM

<How many minute drive is it from Quepos to MA?>

10, maybe 15 (depending on exactly where in MA you're going)

volcanogirl Feb 13th, 2009 12:39 PM

hop, thanks for the info. That's good to know.