Travelling alone from San Jose to Mal Pais

Jan 25th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

Travelling alone from San Jose to Mal Pais

Hi, I am a solo female traveller and will be travelling in March from San Jose to Mal Pais. I am thinking of 2 ways to get there:

1. Take a tourist bus (montezuma expeditions) from San jose to Mal Pais. Realise I only will have one and a half hours within plane landing to catch the bus which i hope will pick me up from the airport.

2. Take Sansa air or Nature air. The flight takes only 30 minutes but am worried about travelling in such small planes - also worried about the safety of such planes!

Just wondering if travelling alone by tourist buses (more like mini vans) are safe as I was told that I may be the only passenger at times.

Also has anyone flown sansa before and know anything about its safety record?

Any thoughts, comments, advice appreciated!
Jan 26th, 2007, 04:07 AM

Lila, I don't care for them either (small OR large), but it is certainly the most convenient way to get around. The tourist buses are fine, but slow, and you have to hold your belongings on your lap (pack light!) or risk it not being on the bus when you arrive (if you've placed it below). Bags disappear off the public buses at some of the frequent stops. Kind of a nuisance, though we've done it and enjoyed it.

For a smaller turismo van type transporation, check Interbus at www.interbusonline.com
Jan 26th, 2007, 09:51 AM

use the tourist shuttle buses such as Grayline or Interbus, hotel to hotel and your bags are still with you when you get off!

http://costa.rica.typepad.com/mal_pa...ome/index.html
Jan 26th, 2007, 10:56 AM

Here is what I heard regarding the small planes. In the US those planes which you hear people crash in - JFK Jr., the guy from the Yankees this past summer - they were flying their own planes. And they don't register flight plans and they are just people out for recreation. These planes in Costa Rica are highly regulated and are not recreational use but official airlines and are perfectly safe.

That was the jist of what I was told anyway. Might make you feel better.

If you don't fly - You should take a bus - or tourist van - to the ferry at Puntarenas. On the other side you can get a bus or have another tourist van or taxi pick you up.

Jan 26th, 2007, 11:37 AM

Naplo999- theyre not safe im afraid and they DO crash, REGULARLY.
I think at least 6 people died in crashs with scheduled internal flights in CR.
not counting the private planes here which drop out of the sky on a regular basis!
Jan 27th, 2007, 11:18 AM

I've flown Sansa a lot. No problems. I flown from SJ to Tambor, lovely flight. It is then about an hour taxi ride to Mal Pais.
Jan 27th, 2007, 11:47 AM

most people fly on local airlines and have no problems!
But, they DON'T have a good safety record, a FACT!