Travellers Cheques in Costa Rica

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2006, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can any Canadians tell me if you have trouble using Canadian travellers cheques, or should I only buy US cheques?
Old May 4th, 2006, 09:36 AM

The problem with travelers checks is that the Costa Ricans don't like them. Even some large hotels will refuse them or will only give you $25 cash because the banks often take a month to pay on them. Smaller hotels and merchants won't touch them, so it's really not worth bringing them. Cash or credit cards work best in CR.

Sandy
Old May 4th, 2006, 09:40 AM

p.s. Going to a bank to cash them can be quite an ordeal. The banks I've been in are set up like the DMV here. Everyone takes a number and sits down in the waiting room, or you take turns by the order you came in. It can take forever to make a transaction -- not something you want to spend time doing on vacation.

Sandy
Old May 4th, 2006, 10:55 AM

I'm not Canadian but from what I have read US TCs are the way to go if you use TCs. I use American Express. I have used them in CR at select small lodges where credit cards were not taken and TCs were stated as acceptable balance payment prior to leaving after misc expence tally. I have been told to just sign them and not enter the payable to line. They then are able to make purchases with them and not have to wait the 45days. Sounds odd to me but if it works for them and me I don't care.
Old May 4th, 2006, 02:05 PM

I'm going to CR in June and some of the hotels where we're staying do accept travelers checks. Just email the hotels where you're staying and ask them. It seems to vary from hotel to hotel.
Old May 6th, 2006, 05:38 PM

I agree with Sandy C. Travelers checks are hard to cash. I wasted hours in a bank just trying to cash them. It s not what I want to do on my vacation. Would suggest credit cards or cash.
Old May 9th, 2006, 06:27 PM

We always do what sukiduper and earthtraveler mentioned: use them at pre-approved hotels. Usually when we confirm with a registration form by fax (or receive a return confirmation) some hotels will state that they accept travelers cheques. We take only enough to pay for those hotels. We don't take them to use or cash anywhere else. Too much hassle--but they ARE handy to have for the hotels that accept (or prefer) them.