Traveling with my 16 year old daughter to Mexico

May 4th, 2017, 10:37 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 6
Thanks Carbon..

Mexico will not deny a US citizen the ability to return to the United States.. My issue was with US immigration let us leave the country without a permission letter from the absent parent and would Mexico allow us into their country without a permission letter from the absent parent.

OK I've talk to the Mexican consulate two times once in person and once on the phone. I've talked to the US immigration on the phone two times and once in person at an international airport. USA and Mexico are not concerned with a 16-year-old traveling with one parent as long as the 16 year old has their own passport and the parent has proof that they are actually the child's parent. No certified letter of permission from the absent parent needed.

The immigration office at the airport suggested I talk to the airline. Sometimes they have a stricter policy because if they're wrong they have to fly you back on their dime. The airline agreed a 16-year-old child with a US passport can go in and out of Mexico with one parent no letter needed... it is suggested you take a birth certificate or court papers to show that you're the actual parent or legal guardian of the 16-year-old.

That's my final answer.
Thanks for everybody's input
See you in Mexico
keithsteinbach is offline  
May 4th, 2017, 04:57 PM
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,765
Great! I like your style sir
Stewbear is offline  
May 5th, 2017, 07:36 PM
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,791
I would get the paperwork taken care of.

Especially in Mexico, you are at the whim of the gate agent or the passport checker in immigration.

My family and I have traveled to Mexico with our children many, many times over the years - sometimes all together, sometimes with one parent. We all have the same last name. Most of the time, we have never been asked for a letter (when only one parent is traveling), but it has happened a couple times, and this was when our kids were teenagers.

All I can say is you never know when someone is going to give you a hard time, regardless of whether you are right or wrong.

And even if you speak fluent Spanish, you are going to be delayed, if you are asked for the papers and you don't have them. .
scdreamer is offline  
May 6th, 2017, 04:45 PM
Original Poster
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 6
Yes I understand. Better safe than sorry and I agree. However if I could get a notarized letter from her mother I would've done that and not been asking these questions and researching it. I was hoping there was a way around getting the notarized letter by filling out some kind of paperwork with immigration both USA and Mexico or even going in front of a judge but there's no such paperwork if the child is16 and traveling with at least one parent.

I wonder what the people do that have younger children and can't locate the other parent. I know there is other people out there with the same situation. I know it's unusual for the father to be the custodial parent and have joint custody and the mother disappear so I was really hoping for some paperwork to fill out just to be safe but there's nothing else I can do.
keithsteinbach is offline  
May 6th, 2017, 10:07 PM
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 223
They go to court to get a travel letter. That is what some of my client's have done when there is no way to get a hold of the other parent, or if they travel often and don't want to get a travel letter every time. I have always stated that you will more than likely be allowed, but there is no guarantee and it should not be made out to be that that is the rule (over 16) when I know for a fact that it is a very grey area. Have a great trip.
maried11 is offline  
May 7th, 2017, 05:20 AM
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,419
They go to court to get full custody when the other parent has essentially abandoned the child and chooses not to reveal their whereabouts What happens in a life/deathhealth emergency, let alone a vacations, if there is legal joint custody?
SambaChula is offline  
May 7th, 2017, 06:38 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 6
It is defiantly a gray area. I think I'll contact my attorney if he's still around and see if he can help with that letter you mentioned. I wonder why neither immigration office mentioned that.

Where I live they will not let one parent have full custody, it's always joint custody no matter what. Her mother went away before for a couple years so when she came back I tried to go to court to get full custody because her daughter didn't even know her anymore and she was very abusive toward her. The courts made me pay for counseling and supervised visitation so she could reunite with her daughter LOL. It was a joke... and now she's gone again and we haven't heard from her in over year.
keithsteinbach is offline  
May 8th, 2017, 09:11 AM
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 25,651
Keith, this is all very interesting. I would definitely try to get that letter, it must be very frustrating for you.

I wonder how it would work for a mother with a different last name than her child (my DIL and DGS for example) (just a hypothetical, my DIL and DS are very much together)
sf7307 is online now  
May 8th, 2017, 01:53 PM
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 223
I am a mother with a different last name then my two older children and we get asked about 50% of the time. once they even pulled my 15 year over to ask questions and I wasn't allowed to talk with them (this was here, not in Mexico). But most times they don't even check. PIA. I'm lucky that my ex always signs a letter and because he's good that way I've never gone to court to get a permanent letter, but I would if he was in and out. Keith you have done really well in researching and I'm sure it will all work out and it will be fine. Getting a court order like this may save you from future worries. Have a great time
maried11 is offline  
May 9th, 2017, 06:39 AM
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 634
Mexico has no 6 month rule, the USA does, so the airline is worried about your return trip, that's all.
cabron is offline  
May 9th, 2017, 08:30 AM
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 223
We aren't talking about the six month rule, we are talking about traveling with minors without the other parent's consent???
maried11 is offline  
Related Topics
Original Poster
Last Post
United States
Mar 8th, 2007 05:44 AM
Mexico & Central America
Jun 14th, 2005 08:51 PM
Mexico & Central America
Apr 9th, 2003 08:27 PM
Mexico & Central America
Dec 22nd, 2002 07:41 AM
Mexico & Central America
Jun 10th, 2002 02:09 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:05 PM.